Delta lounge question

Dave4120

For some reason, I'm not understanding who has free access to the Delta Lounge in Atlanta.

We are flying first class in April from Albany, NY to Fort Lauderdale, with a layover in Atlanta. Then, we change planes and finish the trip in first class to Fort Lauderdale.

Since we do not fly much at all, can you tell me if we have access to the Delta Lounge in Atlanta during our 3-hour layover since we are flying first class?

If not, I read where we can both purchase a single-one-time pass which we are more than happy to do.

Thank-you for your time and help.

Dave

Iirc, domestic first class does not grant you lounge access, except on some transcon flights. This trip will not get you in if you have no status with their frequent flyer program or have a credit card which will give you access.

If you really want to get in the lounge, I think paying for it will be about the only option.

Thanks very much for the help. The $50 or $60 one day lounge access per person seems very reasonable to experience the lounge in Atlanta
Even though I have SkyClub membership access, and I definitely know it's better than waiting in the concourse, I'm not so sure about $60 per person for a single visit. Yep, not a day pass but just for one visit.

In ATL, it's in no way comparable to REAL lounges, such as you would find with Virgin at LHR, Singapore at Changi, Cathay at HKG, and Turkish at IST. Or the Lufthansa First Class terminal at FRA. Perhaps coming in from an international flight and taking advantage of a shower or a long connect. But for the $120 per couple, I'd just head to a nice restaurant and have a meal or a few cocktails and still have change left over.

If you still have this on your radar, know that the B and D concourse clubs are small and crowded - B10 is especially so. A17 gets crowded because folks don't bother to go to the A Center club. The new F club has a nice patio when the weather is good, but can get slammed when the afternoon international push is on.

Do some searches for SkyClub lounge reviews and then decide if it is worth it....to you. If you don't go expecting great things, it may work out.

Not all Sky Clubs are created equal at Hartsfield-Jackson. There are two on most concourses, each about midway down the concourse. T only has one as do E and F.

The B and C concourse lounges are usually very crowded BTW.

If you have a Delta AMEX Gold you will pay $29 each, otherwise it is $50 per person.

The space in some is crowded and the food is nothing to write home about.

Rather than send you to a lounge how about a nice leisurely meal? You can enjoy ONE FLEW SOUTH in E. It's worth the train ride from any other concourse since you have the time. It is a favorite on Flyer Talk and even has its own forum. It will be less expensive than the lounge and far better. And even though it's at the top of the escalators in the atrium it's quiet.

There is a restaurant in F that we have not been to but you can and for the life of me can't remember the name but it seems to run a close second.

Intermezzo (next to Chili's) in the middle of B concourse is a little more harried (just like the busy concourse) but they have a nice varied menu and good coffee.

Skip the lounges from a Delta frequent flyer who knows Hartsfield-Jackson VERY well.

If you are considering a lounge in ATL, I would head to concourse F and go to The Club at ATL. I am not sure of the cost of a pass. I access it with a Priority Pass Select membership. Way better than any DL lounge in ATL. I think it is $35/person but you need to double check.

Since we do not fly much at all, can you tell me if we have access to the Delta Lounge in Atlanta during our 3-hour layover since we are flying first class?

Keep in mind that your 3 hour layover won't mean 3 hours in a lounge. It will take a few minutes to deplane, and then you may need to walk a bit to the train and ride that to another concourse, depending on the location of the gates where you land and depart. Subsequently, you'll want to be at the gate 30-40 min before departure, so your actual time in the lounge will only be about 2 hours or a little more. I've been in every Sky Club at ATL and while I certainly enjoy them, there is no way on earth I'd pay $100 (for 2 people) to use them for 2 hours, or even 3 for that matter. One Flew South was mentioned and I will second that. It's in Concourse E and has a full bar and great food. Spend your $100 there instead.

I had One Flew South listed in my phone because someone else had mentioned it last year when we first booked our trip.

Thanks very much to everyone for your helpful comments. Yes, we'd rather spend our money there than to pay the Sky Club as many of you said, for two hours. I'm sure I will have enough stress at this large airport since it's only the second time we've been to it. Last time was over 10-years ago.

I'm sure I will have enough stress at this large airport since it's only the second time we've been to it. Last time was over 10-years ago.

Yes, ATL is huge and yes, it is the busiest airport in the world.

BUT....it is quite easy to navigate. There are 7 concourses. In order they are T, A, B, C, D, E, and F. Gates are numbered by concourse and then gate #. Gate T5 means Concourse T, gate 5. Gate A5 means Concourse A, gate 5 and so forth. The concourses are all parallel to either other, and the underground plane train connects them all. The train is below ground, with escalators near the center of each concourse. There will be an escalator on each side, to catch the trains going in either direction. The trains are fast and frequent; typically it is only a minute or 2 between them, and less than a minute from one concourse stop to the next. The concourses are all well marked with overhead signage, and there are restrooms and vendors in all concourses.

When you land at ATL, you will deplane. There will be monitors in the gate area showing the connecting gates for pax on your incoming flight, so check to be sure of your departure gate. (You can also use the Delta app for this). Just past the monitors and gate you'll see the main walking area. Depending on which gate you are at, you will go left or right to the escalators, just check the signage indicating which direction to go to get the the other concourses. Say for instance you arrive at Concourse B, and want to go to E to eat at One Flew South. As you get to the center of B, a sign will say one way for concourses T-A, and the other way for C-F.

Hope that helps relieve your stress about ATL!

I'm sure I will have enough stress at this large airport since it's only the second time we've been to it. Last time was over 10-years ago.

With over 2 hours you will have plenty of time. As was said, ATL is huge and easy to navigate, but it can take a LOT of time to get from one gate to another. If you come into one end of A concourse (or even worse T) and your connecting flight leaves from the end of D concourse, you have a lot of walking just to get to/from the escalator), plus the tram to connect. Just the walking part in a case like this is more than you would walk in most airports. Then add the escalator, wait for the tram, on the tram, etc. Just plan on leaving plenty of time to get to the gate of the connecting flight and you will be fine.

So much helpful information. Thank-you very much. Maybe they will post out gate arrival at ATL and then our departure from there a day before we fly out. If they do, I can post it here for possible last minute advice.

Don't count on the gate posting until you are about an hour before your flight. It is not uncommon to have gate changes from the time you land with a three hour connection.

If we have enough time to go to OFS we never bother to check our next gate until we exit the restaurant and check the big monitor.

On our last flight through Atlanta in December we ended up with a 4+ hour connection and our next flight was not even posted when we got off the first flight. It is common to have flights posted at about 3 - 3 1/2 hours pre flight and then the dreaded gate change is always a possibility.

So much helpful information. Thank-you very much. Maybe they will post out gate arrival at ATL and then our departure from there a day before we fly out. If they do, I can post it here for possible last minute advice.

They will not post them that early, and even if you check in the day of your flight at the gate is listed on the boarding pass, be aware that gates frequently change at ATL so don't rely on that. It's very simply though, just download the Delta app. When you land, and the plane is making its way to the gate, check the app. It will show your inbound arrival gate as well as your outbound departure gate. Since you have a couple of hours, follow up later and reconfirm your departure gate because it could change at any time. Alternatively, and as mentioned earlier, your departure gate will be listed on a monitor just inside your arrival gate. And there are banks of monitors showing all flights in various places around the airport.

Alternatively, and as mentioned earlier, your departure gate will be listed on a monitor just inside your arrival gate. And there are banks of monitors showing all flights in various places around the airport.
Second the recommendation of getting the DL app for your phone. In addition to the gate issues, you can also track your bags and have the reassurance that they are in the belly of the aircraft.

One small amplification on the bolded words above. Note that the monitors just outside the jetway in each gatehouse only show the connections for those passengers on the arrival flight into that gate. Makes it easier to find your information. So don't look at the monitor inside another gatehouse for your connecting info.

However, the monitors in the concourse hallways have all the flights. So those will always work to give you the latest info.

I have the Delta mobile app that shows our flights to Fort Lauderdale with our connection in Atlanta and also our return from Rome, Italy again connecting in Atlanta, so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks again

You're set, then. When you land at ATL and open the app, you'll see a tab for "connection." It will show you what gate you are arriving at and what your departure gate will be. Just check it occasionally while in the airport since it may change. As Flyertalker said, you can also use the app to find out for sure if your bags were loaded on the plane, and you can double check your seat assignments (may change if there's a last minute equipment change).

Thanks very much. I had no idea the app would have so many features to help you keep up with your flights. A very nice tool indeed. Less than 3-months to go.

Thanks again for the help. It sure beats searching for hours to find out all of the information all of you have helped me with, or, have to read through several articles.

Dave

Many of the Atlanta airport Delta lounges are nothing to brag about. Some are not bad. We have purchased one day use in Atlanta and some of the better lounges are worth it with nice snacks and free beer or wine. I have the Delta AmEx card and can purchase for half price, so for long layovers we do that.

The newer one in the international terminal is nice.

Many of the Atlanta airport Delta lounges are nothing to brag about. Some are not bad. We have purchased one day use in Atlanta and some of the better lounges are worth it with nice snacks and free beer or wine.

Just as a point of clarification for anyone who might be confused by the above, all of the Sky Clubs at ATL have free snacks and drinks.