Volcanoes Park Visit

davmarg

We are staying in Oahu for 5 days pre cruise. Would like to visit volcanoes park on the big island. Would it be easier to book a day trip with a tour company or fly over, stay overnight and rent a car? The tour picks you up extremely early in the morning and it makes for a very long day. We are two 65 year olds. Please help.

Well, I guess that depends on your priorities. If you have lots to see in Oahu, you don't have much time for the fly over and spend the night idea. If you do fly over and spend the night, fly to Hilo. Far easier to see the Park, and where the lava is near a town. Longer drive from the Kona side.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Personally, I would rather enjoy the five days on Oahu. So much to see and do and relax before the intense schedule of the cruise. I assume your cruise stops in Hilo, which would make it very easy to see VNP the day you are in port in Hilo. I would not spend the money and time going from Oahu to Hilo for the day if I had another alternative. JMO Cherie

We are staying in Oahu for 5 days pre cruise. Would like to visit volcanoes park on the big island. Would it be easier to book a day trip with a tour company or fly over, stay overnight and rent a car? The tour picks you up extremely early in the morning and it makes for a very long day. We are two 65 year olds. Please help.

Did you have other plans for your cruise day in Hilo? Most people head out to VNP either in their own rental car or use a ship or private tour. We did a private tour, pick up from the ship, with only 4 others in the vehicle and it was a most relaxing day which included other sights like Rainbow Falls. At @ $75 pp, I'm sure it was hundreds of $$ less than a roundtrip plane ride and tour from Oahu. And it certainly sounds exhausting. I can't imagine not being able to find enough to fill 5 days on Oahu, which I love.

We must have been typing at the same time. I don't have enough fingers and toes for my visits to Oahu and still love it's diversity. I think if I did a short trip to another island I would do it the day I arrived in HNL or returned to HNL the day the cruise left to minimize travel and hotel check-in. I hope you have a great cruise. Cherie

If you have the time, I would fly over to Hilo and stay overnight, ether in the park or in nearby Volcano. Here's why. You said you have visited Oahu several times. Although, you can never know what Madame Pele may be doing,if she decides to put on a show it is more spectacular at night. This past April/May the lava lake was visible from the Jagger Museum lanai and was incredible. At night it was just unbelievable. Even if she does not put on a show, the park takes on an entire new atmosphere after dark.

Hawaii Volcanoes House Hotel is very expensive and although she has some updates, it is still an old hotel, but you are right there. The crater smoking away can be seen from the crater view rooms. There is a lounge area and restaurant with nice views as well. Another option if you are staying here or nearby is to get up early and do some viewing right before dawn.

I see the cost of park admission has just gone up to $15.00 and a lifetime Senior Pass to all National Parks is now cheaper at $10.00.

You did not say where you are flying from on the Mainland, from, but I would not attempt to fly in or out of Hilo and to or from NY in one day. We grumble when we can't get into/out of Kona directly(do to wanting a cheaper fare) from the San Francisco Bay Area, a much shorter flight than the East Coast.

I am different, we live part time on The Big Island and much prefer it to all other islands.

Aloha.

Assuming that your cruise isn't stopping in Hilo - I would opt for doing it on your own. Fly into Hilo, stay in Volcano village - maybe Kilauea Lodge, or Volcano House which is in the park, and enjoy a more leisurely pace than the one day tour. The reason for staying in Volcano or in the park (vs. staying in Hilo) is so that you can see the glow from lava in Halemaumau Crater after dark from the Jaggar Museum overlook, with just a short drive back to your accommodations.

Driving isn't difficult and self-touring is easy. With an overnight you could include the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens the following day before flying back to Oahu. It would make for a very interesting couple of days. :)

p.s. I missed reading Milolli's post before posting this and see that I'm duplicating some of her recommendations ... which is a good thing, because it's a good plan.:)

Edited by Susan-M

Since you have been to Oahu in the past, I would only stay one night there, and then go spend the rest of your time precruise on the Big Island. There is so much more there than just the volcano that you would not be disappointed. Fly back to Oahu on the day you cruise. There are flights constantly so missing the ship due to a delayed flight is not an issue like it is on the mainland.

I would just wait till the ship docks in Hilo and take an excursion. I wouldn't waste 2 half days getting to and from Hilo for VNP. You're better off "chilling in Oahu" than spending it in transit.

My upcoming trip to Hawaii will be my 4th over 3 decades. While my first 2 land trips to Honolulu was great I now find it too similiar to any big city. I'm using the POA cruise as a floating hotel that will let me enjoy the slower paced Hawaii that attracted me many years ago.

Oahu is my least favorite Hawaii- place. :)

When I do NCL, every year- I've been adding weeks on either side of a cruise.

IF you haven't booked your air yet- or opt to make better use of your time- FLY into Hilo or Kona- rent a car and enjoy Hawaii- then just fly one way to Oahu. I usually fly into Kona, out of Hilo to the cruise, a few days in Oahu then fly into Maui- out of Maui -home. gone 3 1/2 weeks last several trips. :) Open jaw flights are simple to do.

If you continue with your Oahu plan- then absolutely- have at least an overnight in Hilo.