Lipault 22" Carry On...thoughts?

Many of you know that I'm a minimal packer. In my constant quest to scale down our lives, (planning to move to a condo in Florida in time) I've been thinking about purchasing a 22' Lipault two wheeled carry on. I like the fact that it folds up to store. Anyone have one and have any thoughts on construction, compartments, comments at all about it?

http://unefemme.net/2015/05/15-piece-travel-wardrobe.html

One of the bloggers I read has had a Lipault - but the spinner (I personally do not like spinners) and she has loved the bag for her light packing, though on her current trip she's trying out a new Briggs & Riley option that weighs a little more but gives her more structure (which I also personally love) For international carry-on, I have 20" Eagle Creek 2 wheel I love, and if I need more space, I have a 22" Briggs & riley 2 wheel.

I have this bag in purple. Here's the clincher. I've never used it. I bought it and the weekend bag together with the plan of taking them to Paris. I ended up taking neither. They are beautiful. It is light and true it has no structure. But it doesn't expand, it doesn't have great pockets or organization. For a 22 inch, it's just not as roomy as my other carryons. My go-to bag is the 21" TLS Motherload which holds more than the Lipault. Maybe someday for a short trip I'll use it. DH will wonder where it came from lol.

I do have a short 4 day trip in October, maybe I'll take it for a test drive.

If anyone has a suggestion as a replacement (or addition to) the 25" TLS Motherload, I'm open. The 29" is just too big.

Edited by sr4mjc

My husband and I both have Eagle Creek 25" (different models). But we rarely use a 25" bag. We love Eagle Creek though.

Even when I am checking a bag, I find that a 22" provides plenty of space for me (in addition to a backpack & tote or whatever I'm carrying on). My husband likes the 25" when he goes on hunting trips, but he's taking special equipment (obv his gun case is separate). I usually check when I want to take liquids >100ml (like when I go to CHina for business for a week and want to take a box of wine :p) but I'm not taking more other stuff.

I'm a little confused by your question though. Do you have the TLS 25"? Your post reads like you love the Motherlodes, so why are you looking for a replacement?

It appear there are many people that like this luggage. I tried to find their warranty information and they don't make it easy to find. To find it you have to look at the FAQ and from that page you are directed to another web page. In summary Lipault has a 3 year warranty for manufacturing defects only. You have to send it to them (at your expense) and they will determine if its a manufacture defect.

This luggage as you likely know doesn't have any structure. Folders and cubes may help with the structure if you want more. If you have anything fragile you may want additional packing.

Shak

It appear there are many people that like this luggage. I tried to find their warranty information and they don't make it easy to find. To find it you have to look at the FAQ and from that page you are directed to another web page. In summary Lipault has a 3 year warranty for manufacturing defects only. You have to send it to them (at your expense) and they will determine if its a manufacture defect.

This luggage as you likely know doesn't have any structure. Folders and cubes may help with the structure if you want more. If you have anything fragile you may want additional packing.

Shak

I would totally use cubes in this bag, unless stuffed totally full. Just to keep things in place.

My husband and I both have Eagle Creek 25" (different models). But we rarely use a 25" bag. We love Eagle Creek though.

Even when I am checking a bag, I find that a 22" provides plenty of space for me (in addition to a backpack & tote or whatever I'm carrying on). My husband likes the 25" when he goes on hunting trips, but he's taking special equipment (obv his gun case is separate). I usually check when I want to take liquids >100ml (like when I go to CHina for business for a week and want to take a box of wine :p) but I'm not taking more other stuff.

I'm a little confused by your question though. Do you have the TLS 25"? Your post reads like you love the Motherlodes, so why are you looking for a replacement?

Totally busted. :o I love luggage, always checking out different ones on the market. I do have the 25" TLS. Two of them actually, since one had an issue during a trip and called ebags and they sent another one for free, no questions asked. The first is still functional though with a DIY fix. But how's that for customer service and warranty?

We just did 10 days in Hawaii and the 25", fully packed (but not expanded) with packing cubes in the upper and snorkeling/dive gear in the lower weighed about 42lbs. I was happy with it, those bags are solid. I wished I had a bit more room for on the way home. I looked at the Eagle Creek 28" Load Warrior, but volume wise it's actually no bigger. Not as wide or deep. The 29" TLS will easily go over 50lbs I think. Too bad they don't make a 27". :D

Long answer short, I don't really need another bag. But you never know what might be out there that I may want! We don't have long trips coming up, not until our 14 night South America cruise. For now, I envision is each taking a 25" TLS for that one.

Michelle

Edited by sr4mjc

I love the fact that the Lipault is very lightweight, but am concerned how well the fabric would hold up on airport belts, etc. I haven't seen them to be able to figure out if the fabric is sturdy or not, but it looks a little flimsy. I see the wear and tear our rolling duffles have taken the past few years, as well as the regular soft-sided luggage we've had in the past and don't know if the Lipault would take the abuse as well.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

My 25" roller is an Osprey Sojourn. It's actually a roller/convertible backpack bag. It's taken a beating and keeps on traveling for me when I need something bigger than my carryon bags (a 20" or 22" Motherlode or an Osprey Porter). Osprey has a lifetime warranty, too.

Packed for 3 weeks in that bag and I was 34lbs…easy to roll or carry (stairs).

Thanks for the input....definitely if any other posters read this and have the bag, I would love to hear from you!

For the most part, the only thing that concerns me is the lack of an expander and compartments, however I've pretty much gotten my clothing to just what I need....I'm thinking that won't be a problem. I use the bundle method to pack, so the bag would be full. As for the luggage handling, I usually carry on my items or check them at the gate if the overhead bins end up too full.

The biggest reason I have an interest in this bag is that our space will be at a premium when we do move and I really like the fact that it folds up. The plan is to look for a two bedroom condo in the near future. I'm already dumping 34 years of things the hubby and I have accumulated....LOL, we *still* are not done! :eek: I have a place for my luggage in the attic right now, but of course that will change. This can sit on a closet shelf.

I will be writing something up as a follow up to this....Lord & Taylor had a sale on the bag I just couldn't resist. The bag varies from site to site....I got it for $97 dollars. It can always go back, but I'm hoping I like it! :D

We have several IT bags. They don't fold but have the same non-expansion issue. Haven't had a problem with that. But we tend to travel to the same ports and don't buy souvenirs.

My issue is with the folding. If the bag is not full will it stay upright or will it collapse? Don't want it collapsing in a public bathroom.

Remember you can always store your travel stuff inside your suitcase. That should save some room.

I have a Lipault carry-on bag, but it's smaller than the 22" one and not wheeled. It's okay -- I don't use it as much as I thought I would and it's not my favorite bag to pack in. Seems like there are small things the manufacturer could've done to make it a better bag but just didn't do.... (I am used to Eagle Creek and Patagonia bags with strong zippers, wide openings, etc.)

The material does seem pretty sturdy though. Not sure what it is made of but it has held up well on the few trips it's been on. (Not checked, just carry-on and carry-around....)

Totally busted. :o I love luggage, always checking out different ones on the market.

Yes, I have a bag addiction as well - I understand! I really want to try Osprey - keep hoping that Sierra Trading Post will have some old models or overstocks but none yet, though I've bought some Briggs & Riley and tons of Eagle Creek there, or on the Amazon outlet. We absolutely don't need any more - and my husband is now forcing me to get rid of older bags or bags I never use if I buy new ones, so I'm trying to be really good ;) On the other hand, he shares my bag addiction a little bit - we're both always improving our travel system, be it packing (he's really improved though he still brings more stuff than I do:D) or clothing options or luggage....

Thanks for the input....definitely if any other posters read this and have the bag, I would love to hear from you!

For the most part, the only thing that concerns me is the lack of an expander and compartments, however I've pretty much gotten my clothing to just what I need....I'm thinking that won't be a problem. I use the bundle method to pack, so the bag would be full. As for the luggage handling, I usually carry on my items or check them at the gate if the overhead bins end up too full.

The biggest reason I have an interest in this bag is that our space will be at a premium when we do move and I really like the fact that it folds up. The plan is to look for a two bedroom condo in the near future. I'm already dumping 34 years of things the hubby and I have accumulated....LOL, we *still* are not done! :eek: I have a place for my luggage in the attic right now, but of course that will change. This can sit on a closet shelf.

I will be writing something up as a follow up to this....Lord & Taylor had a sale on the bag I just couldn't resist. The bag varies from site to site....I got it for $97 dollars. It can always go back, but I'm hoping I like it! :D

I was going to try and upload a pic, but I see you bought it. Let us know what you think. What color did you get?

I got the purple one....I didn't think the price was hateful since I saw them for close to 2 hundred bucks. I will definitely come back and let everyone know my opinion of it. Should be here Monday or Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I got my bag earlier than promised from the post office......amazes me sometimes because they lost an $1800 buck diamond ring I had to send for service (yes, yes, it was insured....little comfort though) I'm going to add the picture album up as there are captions....I will then post my thoughts.http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/islandgirlejfan/slideshow/Lipault%20Carry%20on

Edited by islandgirlejfan

Ok, so if you viewed the slideshow, I am a lighter packer. This is my cruise bag for the week....we usually stay with my bestie Pat and her hubby in Pompano Beach and I also have in tow a canvas Celebrity tote bag with just what I need for a night or two. She has a washer, so it's all good if I need to wash up something.

The bag arrived inside a small heavy duty polybag. You can shove it under the bed or in a closet....the bag will be dirt free when you are ready to use it. Definitely a plus!

Upon opening the bag, you have to put down the bottom flap to reinforce it. There are snaps that keep it in place. There are also three zip compartments....two larger ones and a small one on the side. May or may not use the side one...only time will tell if this is any use to me.

The bottom of the bag has the same amount of area as most bags that have bag handles....I took advantage of the area to put my undies....works the same as my other bag. There was some talk of stabilizing the bag....my shoes worked very well for this. The only problem I had was the top of the bag as the bundle method has you put your pants on either end. Depending on how you looked at it, it was a blessing or curse. The curse was you sort of had to pull that part up with packing....the blessing was that you could mold your items in the bag to conform so much better!

The bag seems to be made very well. I thought it was going to be a bear to get back into the case....big shocker....it was not! I was actually surprised at how easy it went back in the storage bag! Not having the expansion is not going to be a deal breaker. I could have easily packed a pair of light jeans, a jacket and another pair or two of shorts. This wasn't even my best job of bundling!

I'm thinking that I will be able to get away with just this bag when we cruise in January because there was more space than I expected. I got this bag at Lord & Taylor for $97.49 (25% off code) plus shipping, which brought the total to $108.44. I'm pretty smitten with it! We fly on Jet Blue when we can and tend to buy More Space seats. That gives us access to the overhead bins as those seats board first. I like taking my luggage on because some of the airports we fly out of (Reagan and Dulles come to mind) are nightmares when trying to leave! We walk right out, go to wherever we have parked the car and drive back home to Maryland....saves at least an hour of our time.

I think this bag is going to work for me in several ways....wasn't sure after some of the comments that it was going to work, but I think it's going to serve what I need it to do. If any of you are thinking about it, it is still on sale on the website in the colors of brown and purple. :)

Edited by islandgirlejfan

Ok, so if you viewed the slideshow, I am a lighter packer. This is my cruise bag for the week....we usually stay with my bestie Pat and her hubby in Pompano Beach and I also have in tow a canvas Celebrity tote bag with just what I need for a night or two. She has a washer, so it's all good if I need to wash up something.

The bag arrived inside a small heavy duty polybag. You can shove it under the bed or in a closet....the bag will be dirt free when you are ready to use it. Definitely a plus!

Upon opening the bag, you have to put down the bottom flap to reinforce it. There are snaps that keep it in place. There are also three zip compartments....two larger ones and a small one on the side. May or may not use the side one...only time will tell if this is any use to me.

The bottom of the bag has the same amount of area as most bags that have bag handles....I took advantage of the area to put my undies....works the same as my other bag. There was some talk of stabilizing the bag....my shoes worked very well for this. The only problem I had was the top of the bag as the bundle method has you put your pants on either end. Depending on how you looked at it, it was a blessing or curse. The curse was you sort of had to pull that part up with packing....the blessing was that you could mold your items in the bag to conform so much better!

The bag seems to be made very well. I thought it was going to be a bear to get back into the case....big shocker....it was not! I was actually surprised at how easy it went back in the storage bag! Not having the expansion is not going to be a deal breaker. I could have easily packed a pair of light jeans, a jacket and another pair or two of shorts. This wasn't even my best job of bundling!

I'm thinking that I will be able to get away with just this bag when we cruise in January because there was more space than I expected. I got this bag at Lord & Taylor for $97.49 (25% off code) plus shipping, which brought the total to $108.44. I'm pretty smitten with it! We fly on Jet Blue when we can and tend to buy More Space seats. That gives us access to the overhead bins as those seats board first. I like taking my luggage on because some of the airports we fly out of (Reagan and Dulles come to mind) are nightmares when trying to leave! We walk right out, go to wherever we have parked the car and drive back home to Maryland....saves at least an hour of our time.

I think this bag is going to work for me in several ways....wasn't sure after some of the comments that it was going to work, but I think it's going to serve what I need it to do. If any of you are thinking about it, it is still on sale on the website in the colors of brown and purple. :)

You did a great job packing! I still love the look of that bag, I'm definitely going to try and use it more. I pulled it out of the closet and realized I have the 4 wheel spinner. The bottom isn't that deep and the rest smooshes down, so it doesn't take up too much room on the shelf in my closet. I really love the padded handles. When I was playing with it, I remember that upper unstructured part was good for shoving all the last minute forgotten items. :D

I love that Belkin power surge, it is the best!

Edited by sr4mjc

You did a great job packing! I still love the look of that bag, I'm definitely going to try and use it more. I pulled it out of the closet and realized I have the 4 wheel spinner. The bottom isn't that deep and the rest smooshes down, so it doesn't take up too much room on the shelf in my closet. I really love the padded handles. When I was playing with it, I remember that upper unstructured part was good for shoving all the last minute forgotten items. :D

I love that Belkin power surge, it is the best!

I totally agree on the Belkin....it's been one of our best purchases for a cruise. It will fit almost anywhere!

I was specifically looking for the two wheeled bag. I have a four wheel spinner bag that I took to New Zealand and was busted up on the first trip! This one will conform and is able to be stuffed with last minute things. I was truly impressed and sold on it once I packed it. Packing envelopes would be ok with this, but I really think that bundling or rolling will work just fine. I practically live in my bathing suit when I'm aboard ship. Looking forward to taking it on our next cruise in January!

I totally agree on the Belkin....it's been one of our best purchases for a cruise. It will fit almost anywhere!

I was specifically looking for the two wheeled bag. I have a four wheel spinner bag that I took to New Zealand and was busted up on the first trip! This one will conform and is able to be stuffed with last minute things. I was truly impressed and sold on it once I packed it. Packing envelopes would be ok with this, but I really think that bundling or rolling will work just fine. I practically live in my bathing suit when I'm aboard ship. Looking forward to taking it on our next cruise in January!

Luckily these wheels do not stick out quite as much as a lot of spinners. I'm usually anti-spinner, I'm not sure why I bought this one. Maybe I got a good deal. /o\ You know you have a luggage problem when..

Edited by sr4mjc

I love the fact that the Lipault is very lightweight, but am concerned how well the fabric would hold up on airport belts, etc. I haven't seen them to be able to figure out if the fabric is sturdy or not, but it looks a little flimsy. I see the wear and tear our rolling duffles have taken the past few years, as well as the regular soft-sided luggage we've had in the past and don't know if the Lipault would take the abuse as well.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I have the 22" with 2 wheels and it has held up great. I think mine is around 3 years old and has done a LOT of traveling. (I commuted cross country for work for the first few years. I love it. I have checked it several times. with no issues except the airline got a little dirt on it.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, You bought the Lipault for 97 bucks. I have had this bag in chocolate with the spinners for about 3 yrs now and LOVE LOVE it. I can cram everything in it using a compression bag for packing. I did serious business travel with this bag & I'm gonna give it a try for our upcoming Viking river cruise through Germany and hoping I can scale down enough to make it work. I am concerned about the wear and tear on the fabric, as I have noticed scuffs. :( But, I am hoping to find one for my DH on sale as well. If you decide to sell yours, send me an email. What color did you buy?

OMG, You bought the Lipault for 97 bucks. I have had this bag in chocolate with the spinners for about 3 yrs now and LOVE LOVE it. I can cram everything in it using a compression bag for packing. I did serious business travel with this bag & I'm gonna give it a try for our upcoming Viking river cruise through Germany and hoping I can scale down enough to make it work. I am concerned about the wear and tear on the fabric, as I have noticed scuffs. :( But, I am hoping to find one for my DH on sale as well. If you decide to sell yours, send me an email. What color did you buy?

I got mine at Lord and Taylor, but I think the easiest way to find a cheap price is search the net (Google is my friend! :D ) and look for coupons. I got the purple and very happy with it. It's first test will be coming in December when we take it on our next cruise. I'm not real worried about scuffs because we tend to take our carry ons and stow them in the bins. I've had lost luggage and it's just no fun. You will be happy with it for Europe. I lived there for several years....trunks are smaller and no one wants to lug around heavy luggage on cobblestone streets. You can see it here....I did a packing for a week just to make sure it would work for me.

http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/islandgirlejfan/slideshow/Lipault%20Carry%20on

For international carry-on, I have 20" Eagle Creek 2 wheel I love, and if I need more space, I have a 22" Briggs & riley 2 wheel.

Even when I am checking a bag, I find that a 22" provides plenty of space for me (in addition to a backpack & tote or whatever I'm carrying on).

Hoyaheel...hope you're still reading this discussion.

What started out as a replacement for my carry-on has turned into a quest for a new packing system for international travel -- e.g., a new wheeled bag that meets international travel restrictions for carry-on (19" or 20") plus a tote that I can carry as my personal item that will ride on top the bigger bag.

I've done the 22" bag for domestic travel, but on European adventures I've always taken a larger checked bag (though still not huge, about 24") and my small wheeled underbag tote. Now I want to try to go smaller.

Would you mind talking a little about your Eagle Creek piece and about how much difference in space you find between your 20" and 22" carry aboard bags?

Like you, I follow the "Un Femme...." blog. I am leaning toward getting the Briggs & Riley new bag she recently used and the Lo & Sons bag to go atop it. But I'd like to know your thoughts on your Eagle Creek bag vs. Briggs & Riley (have never used their bags before...)

I also have read some really positive reviews of this lightweight Travelpro 20" bag: http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Luggage-Maxlite3-International-Spinner/dp/B00HXD65ZQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435075330&sr=8-4&keywords=Travelpro+carry+on+spinner

Thanks!

I love my 20" Eagle Creek and so does my husband - he's bummed he couldn't find one like it (in the past couple years, it's been very hard to find 2 wheel bags in that size instead of spinners - he ended up getting a Northface small wheeled duffel for international travel instead).

I do have a 22" briggs & riley (bought at Sierra Trading Post during a 40% sale, but my Eagle Creek was bought at the Amazon outlet so even cheaper). I love both bags and use both bags (we also have 22" Eagle Creek and 25" Eagle Creek - I might have mentioned I have a bag obsession? And so does my husband...)

I am still working on the ideal packing combo - a 20" rolling carry-on and tote isn't quite enough space for me for a week or two of European travel, esp because we tend to travel in the cold(er) seasons. But my husband and I can each do a 20" and small tote or backpack carry-on and share a 22" checked bag for a European trip. For my work trips to Asia, in warm weather I can do the 20" with a tote carry-on (and I pack a le sportsace nylon duffel so I can check something on the return if I go shopping).

I could choose a larger personal item to pack more (as Susan does at Une Femme) but - esp for work - I want to have a business tote to use during the trip - and that can be limiting.

Really, if I could get better at avoiding those "what if" items, it wouldn't be a problem! Again - esp in Europe (and on leisure trips) if I need something, it's not that hard to find.

I replied to a thread on Flyertalk recently - guy looking for a 20" roller and only being able to find spinners - the TLS Motherlode at ebags is looking good, and there had been coupons recently, bringing the price down quite nicely. I don't think STP has anything that size right now, but I always look. Because, addiction;)

ETA difference in space in packing - I've never really done side by side (and I also have a 22" EC rolling duffel that I find volume wise to be in between the 20" and 22" more structured rolling bags) i would say it's one extra outfit and a hair appliance or pair of shoes difference. Or my travel pillow. If I bring a 22" rolling bag, I can easily fit my travel pillow inside. But if I use the 20", the travel pillow gets clipped on the outside of my tote with its carabiner ;-) B&R bags are usually heavier than EC, but not all styles, and the difference isn't usually that great.

Edited by Hoyaheel