Travelon Anti-Theft bag question

magandab

I am considering a Travelon Anti-theft crossbody bag but hoped someone here could answer a question I have. Can you feel the cable in the strap when wearing the bag with any weight in it? I have neck problems and pressure anywhere on my neck or shoulder really bothers me. Plus I think it would be very uncomfortable to feel that cable digging in -- if it does.

I started to answer but then realized I have a pacsafe bag, not travelon.

FWIW, you can feel the cable in my strap, but I have never felt it "dig in" when I wear it. I have the citysafe 200 and wear it crossbody - it's a largeish bag and there are times I fill it (water bottle, parka, kindle etc)

Can't help with the Travelon bag as I also have several PacSafe bags. I got mine at Sports Authority and REI. Both are in Rancho Cucamonga at Foothill and the 15. To test bring whatever you'd schlep.

I am considering a Travelon Anti-theft crossbody bag but hoped someone here could answer a question I have. Can you feel the cable in the strap when wearing the bag with any weight in it? I have neck problems and pressure anywhere on my neck or shoulder really bothers me. Plus I think it would be very uncomfortable to feel that cable digging in -- if it does.

Have you called the company and ask how much the bag weights? I think I might try that, it might give you an idea on how it might feel on your shoulder.. Like you I don't want a heavy bag on my neck or shoulder.

I have a Travelon bag and I can't feel the cable dig in. Mine carries my iPad, water, wallets, passports, my kobo and a small camera. The bag does get heavy after a while, and the strap digs in the same as all my other purses. Hope this helps

I have been using one daily for a year and it doesn't bother me at all. The strap is wide and distributes the weight anyway. I love having all the pockets and adjustable strap and even clip locks. I think you will be happy with one.

it is the same concern...

One of my bags was small, but when loaded up with small items...when it started to bother me, I would lift the bag to relieve the shoulder stress, or change sides. The strap was wider, which helped- but it was annoying at times due to the cable. But it really never dug in directly from the cabling as the strap is wide.

The strap on the smaller bag seemed bulkier, compared to the handbag style...

I am glad I had them both in Europe-

Any digging in seemed to directly be related to the weight of what was in the darn bag...

so...avoid water bottles/heavy items in any bag you carry to relieve that weight...

Bernadette

My nylon pacsafe is not at all heavy when empty - it weighs the same as the le sportsac nylon purses I have without cables. It's only heavy if/when I fill it with heavy items.

When I will be walking all day, as I do on most vacations, I prefer a crossbody bag to distribute weight. If that doesn't work for you, there are other options.

Have you called the company and ask how much the bag weights? I think I might try that, it might give you an idea on how it might feel on your shoulder.. Like you I don't want a heavy bag on my neck or shoulder.

MARIA!!!!! How great to "see you again", and your lovely fish!! :D (Glad you're still feeding them! LOL)

On the travel safety bad question, I can add that I bought a Pacsafe years ago, and love it totally! So much so I bought a 2nd one in a different color. The large bag is very lightweight, great for over-the-body carrying, so it doesn't impede those delicate shoulders (which I have too!), and the awesome features built into it are just incredible. I HIGHLY recommend checking it out on their website. And every bag is waterproof; and the side pouches for umbrella and bottled water (which adjusted to the bottle, no less!) are terrific extra features.

Best travel purse on the planet, IMHO. :) (The herringbone color/texture is so attractive it makes a great everyday purse, as well!)

I used a Travelon bag on my last cruise, and was not really happy with it. The strap and the bag itself were very stiff which made it very uncomfortable. The idea for the safety aspect was great, but I think the material and design need more work. I hope they can fix the problem, because I like the idea, just not the purse.Have a safe trip !!! :)

I love them. I have a crossbody medium size bag with the Anti-Theft straps and the body can not be cut through either. I love mine...Very comfortable...it is made out of nylon and only gets as heavy as the stuff you put into it.

I also got my husband one, that hold his camera, and ipad, plus other items...he loves it...he has never carried anything like this before. We purchased for out trip last year overseas.

I have since purchased him an anti-theft wallet for everyday, as well as, myself. These are RFID and both are make of leather. Knowbody realizes that they are RFID.

I wore a TravelOn crossbody on my last cruise (25 days between land and ship) and Ireally loaded that thing down somedays. Ihad no problem and I have shoulder and neck problems. The previous cruise (10 days altogether), I wore a tiny crossbody wallet from another company and had to give it up and stuff it in a coat pocket because it caused so much pain. The Travelon had nice wide straps, a RFIDpocket for my passport and a RFID wallet besides. It was well organized, held lots, including my 10.5" tablet, and did not hurt my neck or shouder.

Last year (or even earlier?) I asked about a shoulder strap pad because I have an ebags crossbody bag I love but the edges of its nylon strap are not finished (the edges of the pacsafe bag ARE finished) and it would chafe me when I wore sleeveless tops. Some kind person on this board led me to Timbuk2 (I have long been a fan of their bags but somehow missed these!)

I bought 3; I LOVE them!!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/timbuk2-strap-pad~p~3766r/

(not showing up on the Timbuk2 website right now in the size I bought, only the larger options.... http://www.timbuk2.com/custom-strap-pad-specialty/919CUST.html)

I bought the Travelon bag from AAA and use it all the time. It holds more than it looks like it could. I have filled it and never felt the cable in the strap. I suggest you find one to try by putting everything you carry in your purse in it then try it on. Good luck.

I have a Travelon cross body purse/bag and I really like it. Has lots of pockets. Is not heavy on my shoulder when I wear it Crossbody or regular. You cannot fieel the wires in the shoulder strap at all. I would definitely buy it again.

Edited by tracyd1014

Hi magnadab,

Ever since my wife had her bag snatched from her shoulders in Spain, we never travel with personal bags/purses. We now use travel vests where the pockets are internal and are zippered.

The best we have found are from Scottevest, their vests are very well engineered, will not chafe you anywhere, and the material is so light you can use them even in hot climates. They arn't cheap, but then you get what you pay for. Check out their website, I can guarantee if you try them you'll ditch having bags on you person when you travel.

• 6 months later...

I used the Travelon cross-body bag in the link below on my trip to Paris with my family last year. It's pretty light when empty and I couldn't feel the cable. I have herniated discs in my neck so I try to keep my bags lighter when I can. I was fine with this bag in Paris, and we walked a minimum of 5 miles a day and some days as much as 8 miles.

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/anti-theft-signature-top-zip-shoulder-bag/276983?productid=10311797

I own this bag & love it. You cannot feel the cable and it's very light weight.. I use it all the time & prefer it to my hi-end leather bags when weight is a factor.

I'd think it'd depend upon the size of the bag you choose. A little wallet-on-a-string type bag wouldn't "dig in", whereas a larger bag filled with heavy things like water bottles probably would.