If you received a full refund (past final payment)

So, I have a question for anyone for whatever reason may have received a full refund after final payment for their cruise.

So Royal Caribbean accidentally booked us in a cabin in a way that didn't exist (long story) so we went from 4 to 5 people. I paid x.xx for the fifth person - however found out two days later that the way they were trying to do it wasn't possible. So they cancelled the fifth person, and told me because they booked it in error I would receive my entire x.xx paid back. I was told a memo was being sent to accounting to ensure this was done properly (by resolutions).

Now, let's be honest, I wasn't holding my breath that this was going to get done right. So tonight, I get three text alerts on my phone that Royal Caribbean has posted a refund into my account. It came through at 2:30am, so I'm pretty sure it was automated and not actually a person. The first was for port taxes and fees. The second was prepaid gratuities. The final refund was for 25% of the cruise fare - the amount that would be refunded at this point for if a cruise was cancelled.

So - long story short [emoji6] - for those who have received complete refunds after final payment - did you have something similar happen? Should I wait and see if there is a 4th refund issued for the other 75%? Or would you be on the phone at 8am asking for answers? What happened in your experience?

I have no experience of this, but I'd definitely be on the phone to them ASAP to get it sorted. You don't want that hanging over you and worrying about whether some system somewhere finally catches up.

Get a person involved and have them fix it... now!

I got a refund on a cruise past final payment, and yes, the 75% (the part still fully refundable) came first, followed by the 25% (the penalty portion) a few days later. Different offices processing the refund I think.

At this point you have a choice.

1 - Get on the phone. Talk to 6 different people. Get 3 different answers, one of which MIGHT be correct. Waste and hour and get upset, frustrated and drunk.

or

2 - Give it a few days and let it all settle out.

Just not worth the aggravation. (in my opinion)

call them right away. yes there is penalties but in your case it sounds like it was their error not yours. that is why the person you spoke with stated they were sending memo to accounting. Most likely it went automatically and not made by a person or an oversight.

Edited by vacationers

I got a refund on a cruise past final payment, and yes, the 75% (the part still fully refundable) came first, followed by the 25% (the penalty portion) a few days later. Different offices processing the refund I think.

Because of this ^^^

1 - Get on the phone. Talk to 6 different people. Get 3 different answers, one of which MIGHT be correct. Waste and hour and get upset, frustrated and drunk.

or

and this ^^^^

I would probably wait just a few days more.

Thank you for posting your experience. I'm guessing the same will probably happen.

or

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] - sometimes my phone calls with Royal have gotten me upset, frustrated and drunk!

Because of this ^^^

and this ^^^^

I would probably wait just a few days more.

That's what I'll probably do. Give it until Monday or Tuesday. Good thing I'm not hurting for the money lol.

I've never had to deal with Royal (or any cruise line for that matter) by phone, but it sounds like their customer service is appalling if this is the trepidation in giving them a call to sort a minor billing issue.

It's a disgrace!

I've never had to deal with Royal (or any cruise line for that matter) by phone, but it sounds like their customer service is appalling if this is the trepidation in giving them a call to sort a minor billing issue.

It's a disgrace!

If it's anything beyond a minor reservation change, it's hard to get to who you want to talk to without explaining your problem to 3 people and getting put on hold. Just easier to wait a few days. I'm sure it will come through.

I cancelled one fully paid cruise but before final payment date. I know that is not your question, but my refund came in multiple (4 I think) credits to my credit card over a couple of days. Have not idea why all the different credits were issued, but I was fully refunded when all the activity was done!

Royal also has a bizarre way of refunding. In my case it was a lost deposit. When they researched the payment by my credit card, the found it. All they had to do was attach my reservation number to it but instead, they charged my CC again for the same amount. This went on for weeks. Every time I called, they charged my credit card again. Eventually they figured it out and I asked only three of the charges be credited back and the rest be left on the deposit. They gave me three refunds, none of which were in the increments that were originally charged nor were they all on the same day but they did finally add up to the total I asked to be credited back.

Edited by Big_G

Royal also has a bizarre way of refunding. In my case it was a lost deposit. When they researched the payment by my credit card, the found it. All they had to do was attach my reservation number to it but instead, they charged my CC again for the same amount. This went on for weeks. Every time I called, they charged my credit card again. Eventually they figured it out and I asked only three of the charges be credited back and the rest be left on the deposit. They gave me three refunds, none of which were in the increments that were originally charged nor were they all on the same day but they did finally add up to the total I asked to be credited back.

Wow that is bizarre!

Glad it finally all worked out. Praying I never have to get my money back or I might be put in the funny farm for frustration and aggravation!

Glad it worked out.

Patience is usually the best way with these things.