Virgin Gorda - WS Legend

jjs217

Anchorage is on the North Sound facing Prickly Pear Island, Saba Island and Bitter End. Problem we had was 2 weeks ago is that passengers can only disembark on a WS paid excursion or to go to beach party. Much different from years past where we we free to wander and arrange for our own day or tours.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought about that as well. Last year we did wonderful tour with Gumption to Necker. Tried to get picked up at Prickly this year but told authorities would not let WS passengers on island because they brought the flu or some other disease last year. Don't know how true that was but didn't want to wind up in the pokey last day of cruise. Ordinal written itinerary was Virgin Gorda but it's been changed to Prickly Pear Island. Sea Dream was allowed to disembark passengers at BEYC so I have a feeling it's was about money more than anything else. Anyhow enjoy the yacht and the voyage. We loved it. This was just an odd twist.

Yes it's is and it's was one of the reasons I booked that itinerary, the other was opportunity to visit Montserrat which was facinating so that part worked out.This was our third year in a row. We love BEYC and will probably stay there for a week next year instead of the cruise. Was totally disappointed but I guess cruise lines can change itinerary at any time. Rest of voyage was excellent.

We were on the December 5 sailing of the Legend and had the same experience with lack of options in Virgin Gorda. There were lots of problems with the tenders during our trip, with only one of the ship's tenders and sometimes one local operator running back and forth. Do you think that they might restore tender circuits including Bitter End, the main land and Prickly Pear once the mechanical issues are resolved?

It would be a great excuse to book the itinerary again!

We were on following week and tender was repaired by St Martin. No, I think this is the new deal now from looking at the newer itineraries. I think next year we'll fly down and stay. The ferry service is great between the islands. It will be a new experience and we might have a bit more freedom.

We were on Legend 12/26..our umpteenth time doing the Xmas/New years WS..and we love it. We do like the sailing ships better. Legend (and Pride we noticed) are getting a little long in the tooth but refurbished by WS they look great. So, I too was surprised when we arrived in Virgin Gorda to find they no longer do the loop with tenders between BEYC, Prickly, and the ship. I was told by crew that BE got tired of the non-guest tourists roaming around the grounds. Harumph! We always loved going over for dinner/coffee/drinks...but oh well. The barbq is sill awesome. This was number 15 cruise for us on WS..we have literally gone around the world with them and are hooked....ps too bad about the Pride getting banged up...feel bad for the pax whose cruise was ruined..

Edited by laurelguy

We also love BEYC and Pussers. I probably spent most of my excess funds there every year buying gifts and a lot of clothes for me. We were told a totally different story by the captain no less. About passengers bringing disease to the island. Really? We love our WS cruises and have 3 booked for 2016 but please, don't tell me ridiculous stories. There are other places to tender in on VG so it's obviously something to do with money. I hope Pride gets fixed. Glad I'm not one of those cancelled. Next three are back on the Surf which I would live on if I could. We were also told that WS is still actively pursuing Surf's sister ship. Hope so and hope Price's booboo doesn't keep that from happening.

ok - I'll bite. I'm online because just posted review of the 12/19 Christmas cruise. Wanted to see Bitter End Yacht Club (other sites connect to links for free drinks) but we didn't have the opportunity this time. Hope that WS fixes the issue for future cruisers.

Just returned from a great week on the Windsurf. They do not take tenders back and forth to BEYC as they did in the past. BEYC does not want the tenders coming to their dock. There was a group that had reservations at BEYC for dinner and they ran one tender over at 7:00 and picked them up at 10:00. They were only allowed to go bc they had dinner reservations. The only tenders that go to Gun Creek are for those on WS excursions.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on our very first Windstar cruise in Feb...

So, just so I am clear... if we do not pay for a WS excursion we will not be leaving the boat in Virgin Gorda except to do the BBQ?

Will the swim platform be open? Also, is there snorkelling, etc on the Island? (any reefs?). Thanks in advance.

Edited by lesliew

I think the platform is not open day of beach party as they bring all of the water toys over to the island. If you've never been there before do one of the excursions. Unless something has changed in the last two months you cannot go on to VG via tender. The beach party is fun event.

Thanks, we have already been to Virgin Gorda so if we did go again, we wanted to do it on our own (rent car or try to take a ferry we could). Don't want to see it badly enough to pay that much $$ for it though... and I've read the Ship's Tour is a bit crowded and rushed too.

We were just planning to take the Tender to port and walk around a bit and then see the BEYC... which now I guess we will not.

So, we will have to suffer and go to a lovely BBQ on a private island and swim in the sea and lay on the beach... *sigh* ...vacation is hard. ;)

We were on the December 5 sailing of the Legend and had the same experience with lack of options in Virgin Gorda. There were lots of problems with the tenders during our trip, with only one of the ship's tenders and sometimes one local operator running back and forth. Do you think that they might restore tender circuits including Bitter End, the main land and Prickly Pear once the mechanical issues are resolved?

It would be a great excuse to book the itinerary again!

We returned January 16. Though both tenders were in the water, the only option if not on a ship's shorex was to Prickly Pear. Dunno if it was Windstar Cruises or the BEYC that called the whole thing off, but that's how it is at the moment. Still, North Sound is beautiful, Prickly Pear is fun.

We are getting ready to leave for a Caribbean cruise on the Star Legend next week, as our cruise on the Star Pride to Costa Rica was cancelled. After reading all the above posts, I emailed Voyage Services and here is the response I received yesterday:

"I want to inform you that you will be able to explore Pigeon Island on your own and that you should have an opportunity to visit the Bitter End Yacht Club. While this is subject to what the harbor master tells us we are planning on allowing visits to the yacht club."

We can only hope that this is true...If not like lesliew said above, we too will just have to suffer by being on a private island with a beautiful beach and BBQ!

We are getting ready to leave for a Caribbean cruise on the Star Legend next week, as our cruise on the Star Pride to Costa Rica was cancelled. After reading all the above posts, I emailed Voyage Services and here is the response I received yesterday:

"I want to inform you that you will be able to explore Pigeon Island on your own and that you should have an opportunity to visit the Bitter End Yacht Club. While this is subject to what the harbor master tells us we are planning on allowing visits to the yacht club."

We can only hope that this is true...If not like lesliew said above, we too will just have to suffer by being on a private island with a beautiful beach and BBQ!

Print it out and take it with you. I do hope you get the opportunity.

And yes, LOL, you won't suffer on Prickly Pear. :D

Just returned and can confirm that the only way they will tender to BEYC is if you have a dining reservation. In speaking with the captain, it appears that Windstar has no control over this - it is BEYC who has decided that they do not want "non-guests" from the cruise ships tendering to their dock.

Pigeon island is st lucia not virgin gorda

Pigeon island is st lucia not virgin gorda

That was copy/pasted directly from a response I received from Windstar regarding an email I sent them about tendering to the Bitter End. I guess that's another reason to question the response. Thanks.