Snorkel on which side of Black Rock?

Mrs. Squirrel

There are five of us renting a car and heading over to Kanappali Beach before our Old Lahaina Luau. 2 are being dropped off at Whaler's Village for shopping and the museum while the 3 of us snorkel Black Rock for a bit.

A Google map of Black Rock shows Kanappali beach and the Sheraton on one side and a small beach by a golf course at the 'end' of Kanappali Parkway on the other.

For anyone who has snorkeled Black Rock, which side is the easiest and safest entry point. 2 of us are experienced snorkelers, but the 3rd is not and I don't want any trouble.

Having snorkeled there many times...all of them entering from the Sheraton side, the further you go around the out-cropping, the rougher it is/gets. Having said that, it also depends on the time of year, day and such... as I have had times it was easy the whole time. Then there have been times it did not matter....the entire time was work!

Chuck

We have snorkeled at Black Rock often and enter from the Sheraton side. Swimming around to the other side can be rough, even if the water is calm when you start it can change before you have time to get back around. I have actually never seen anyone enter from the small beach and rocks on the other side, possibly because it is more difficult to access. And...if you are adventuresome you can jump from the rocks into the water on the Sheraton side. Often there are turtles in the water. Have a great time. Cherie

2 of us are experienced snorkelers, but the 3rd is not and I don't want any trouble.

Black Rock isn't a place that I'd take an inexperienced snorkeler, unless conditions are really calm, and even then, I'd avoid going out to the point (where the best snorkelling is) because of the current that is often present once you reach the end of the point. You could still snorkel there and go about 2/3's of the way out to the point, but I would put my effort into somewhere with better snorkelling - such as Kapalua Bay or Kaheli Beach Park. Also, crowds can be a bit crazy at Black Rock, unless you arrive early or wait until around 5 p.m. Parking is also an issue - but if you do decide to go to there, I would consider parking at Whaler's Village and have the shoppers get the parking card validated.

Black Rock isn't a place that I'd take an inexperienced snorkeler, unless conditions are really calm, and even then, I'd avoid going out to the point (where the best snorkelling is) because of the current that is often present once you reach the end of the point. You could still snorkel there and go about 2/3's of the way out to the point, but I would put my effort into somewhere with better snorkelling - such as Kapalua Bay or Kaheli Beach Park. Also, crowds can be a bit crazy at Black Rock, unless you arrive early or wait until around 5 p.m. Parking is also an issue - but if you do decide to go to there, I would consider parking at Whaler's Village and have the shoppers get the parking card validated.

Great tip about the parking. The info about the current was exactly what I was looking for. We'll play it by ear that day and just walk the beach if the conditions aren't calm.

Having snorkeled there many times...all of them entering from the Sheraton side, the further you go around the out-cropping, the rougher it is/gets. Having said that, it also depends on the time of year, day and such... as I have had times it was easy the whole time. Then there have been times it did not matter....the entire time was work!

Chuck

This is exactly what I needed to know. Had the same thing happen on a similar outcropping in Aruba. Once I got past the point, I had a heck of a time getting back due to the current. Felt like I'd run a few miles when I got back, I was so exhausted. Our third is not ready for that type of swim, so we'll proceed with caution if we snorkel at all.