Questions about Clearwater Beach

AnitaVacation

We will be cruising to Bermuda in October (off season)...

Can anyone give me info about Clearwater Beach??

Concessions? Chairs? Umbrellas? Empty?

We usually spend a day at Tobacco Bay, but I keep wanting to get over to Clearwater...I just don't want to waste a day if it's a disappointment...

I was there a few years ago, and I do remember that there is a concession with bathroom facilities.

The best feature of this beach is mild surf, and the views of airplanes landing and taking off. I would recommend visiting this beach. It won't disappoint.

We usually spend a day at Tobacco Bay, but I keep wanting to get over to Clearwater...I just don't want to waste a day if it's a disappointment...

Here is a good thread from 2015 which may be helpful. A HOHO trolley is mentioned, but I believe it is not running this year and has been replaced with a shuttle. Since you will be visiting in October, the shuttle may not be running then but bus is still available..

SBtS

I too always wanted to go the Clearwater Beach. Last year I ventured out on my own and finally got there. I can tell you, it wasn't an easy trip, but it was worth it.

I cruised in Sept. so that being the off season, there was no vans or mini busses from St George. Plus the bus that was suppose to go there, does not go in the off season. I found this out after sitting at a bus stop in St George for a long time and finally a very nice local woman told me what to do.

Here is how I got there...to save time, I take the ferry to Hamilton, walk up to the main bus stop and catch the bus to St George. From there grab a bus heading to St David's. Tell the bus driver you want to go to Clearwater Beach. He will drop you off as close as he can. Which is down a hill and long walk past the end of the airport.

In Sept the bathrooms were open, but not the food stand. Make sure you walk past Clearwater and into Coopers Nature Reserve. All the way at the end is a small lookout tower. The views are amazing. Plus all along the way there are beaches.

Walking back to the bus stop is a long hall. I was very lucky as another wonderful local woman gave me a ride back to a bus stop. (this is where I say how much I love Bermuda and the people that live there!)

This time I will have my husband with me and we are planning to go again. I think we will pay for a taxi to take us from St George. I am hoping to set up a time for him to come back and get us as well. If not, we will be walking to that bus stop! That's the problem with the off season, there was no traffic there at all and since it's out of the way, it's not like taxi just swing by to see if anyone needs a ride.

It's really out of the way and a little difficult to get there, but I think it was worth it. It's just harder in the off season.

What week are you cruising? We are going Oct 9th on the Breakaway. Let me know. If we go the same week, you can share our adventure with us.

Here is a good thread from 2015 which may be helpful. A HOHO trolley is mentioned, but I believe it is not running this year and has been replaced with a shuttle. Since you will be visiting in October, the shuttle may not be running then but bus is still available..

SBtS

The HOHO does not exist any longer. Instead there are shuttle buses. They are running a shuttle bus leaving from Ordinance Island that goes to Clearwater but as you imply I would not count on it running in October. I would not count on chair rentals or concessions being open either in October. Their beach season ends in September. Actually May 24 to Labour Day in September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I too always wanted to go the Clearwater Beach. Last year I ventured out on my own and finally got there. I can tell you, it wasn't an easy trip, but it was worth it.

I cruised in Sept. so that being the off season, there was no vans or mini busses from St George. Plus the bus that was suppose to go there, does not go in the off season. I found this out after sitting at a bus stop in St George for a long time and finally a very nice local woman told me what to do.

Here is how I got there...to save time, I take the ferry to Hamilton, walk up to the main bus stop and catch the bus to St George. From there grab a bus heading to St David's. Tell the bus driver you want to go to Clearwater Beach. He will drop you off as close as he can. Which is down a hill and long walk past the end of the airport.

Just a comment concerning the public bus to St Davids and Clearwater Beach. The route #6 bus that does this trip is a regular every day bus and does not change from in season to off season.

Also, I suggest it would be a better trip if you took the ferry to St George and then the route #6 bus to Clearwater, provided you are not visiting on a weekend.

If you must go to Hamilton and bus from there, ride that bus to the transfer point (Southside Gate 1) located just past the airport and transfer to a #6 bus. When you leave the bus, ask for a transfer which you would use when you board #6 bus .

SBtS

BEST ever cruise log, info, pictures, etc, thanks to Mitsugirly:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2232463

Thanks to everyone that has already posted a link to my review.

I just have to say...GET THERE...at least to Long Bay. The most prettiest beach ever! Seriously. I loved it there and so secluded. I didn't care for Clearwater as much, but it was probably just the day we were there they had the entire beach tour up and the staff wasn't as friendly. Maybe because no one was there?

But there are bathrooms there and a place to get food. But I'm telling you, this beach doesn't compare to Long Bay or even Turtle Bay. Absolutely stunning! The only thing is, there's nothing at either one of those (since they are within the reserve (Coopers). You have to walk to them, not far, but there's trees along the edge, so you'll have shade, plus you can check out the opposite side across the dead end road...beautiful area with huge rocks sticking out of the water and neat little coves. Then you can also walk up the hill to the NASA tracking station. When you are hungry, just start walking back to Clearwater for a bite to eat. :)

I just posted a review of Clearwater Beach. I was there last week. I had no idea it was a man made beach until someone replied to my review this morning.

Clearwater has scattered rocks so walking into the water is tricky. There are not rocks on adjacent beaches.

I do not think it's worth the trip UNLESS you take the time and walk over to Long Bay and Turtle Bay as previous posters have said. These beaches are adjacent/part of the Cooper Nature Reserve.

We did see taxis waiting and the no 6 bus even came down to the beach but we missed both. So we walked the 1/2 mile to the bus stop - it wasn't as bad as walk as it looks. Just be prepared to wait awhile for the bus.