It's national wine and cheese day in Australia today ...

I promise it's true!

Anyway it got me thinking - is the cheese plate on the dessert menu the same as the cheese plate from room service?

DH and I love sitting down to wine and cheese - we plan on sitting on our balcony each evening to do this and I'm wondering which plate to go with (of course I'll no doubt sample both) ;)

I promise it's true!

Anyway it got me thinking - is the cheese plate on the dessert menu the same as the cheese plate from room service?

DH and I love sitting down to wine and cheese - we plan on sitting on our balcony each evening to do this and I'm wondering which plate to go with (of course I'll no doubt sample both) ;)

When it is offered, in my experience they are the same.

There is often a better selection in the Windjammer, at least at dinner, and this may be a better choice for your balcony nosh.

;)

I promise it's true!

I didn't know that.

Might need some cheese tonight.

There is often a better selection in the Windjammer, at least at dinner, and this may be a better choice for your balcony nosh.

;)

Ooooh a third option, thanks!

So you're allowed to take food from the Windjammer to your room? Excellent!

Edited by CupcakeSusie
autocorrect

Me too. I think I also have some Giesen Hawkes Bay merlot too. Only a small glass since it's a week night.

If it's Australian wine and cheese day why are you drinking a New Zealand wine :confused: :eek: ;) :D

Haha that did actually cross my mind! I only had a tiny bit left so then I had half a glass of Tempus Two as well ;)

I'm so glad we can take food from the Windjammer to our room!! I had no idea that was allowed. I'd read so many threads about the lack of tables that I was planning on avoiding it, but now I'm excited. Friends sailed on the Explorer recently and said they made big fruit plates for themselves. Yum.

Haha that did actually cross my mind! I only had a tiny bit left so then I had half a glass of Tempus Two as well ;)

I'm so glad we can take food from the Windjammer to our room!! I had no idea that was allowed. I'd read so many threads about the lack of tables that I was planning on avoiding it, but now I'm excited. Friends sailed on the Explorer recently and said they made big fruit plates for themselves. Yum.

Sometimes we make a cheese plate from WJ in the afternoon for our stateroom. You can get this from room service, but if it's at the end of a port day, room service is usually busy, and getting the plate from WJ is faster.

Sometimes we make a cheese plate from WJ in the afternoon for our stateroom. You can get this from room service, but if it's at the end of a port day, room service is usually busy, and getting the plate from WJ is faster.

Thank you so much for this tip. These are the things I wouldn't have a clue about if I didn't join CC!!

I take fruit pieces, like apples, bananas and oranges and keep them in the room for snacks. There is more of a variety at breakfast.

Thank you for the breakfast tip! There is a fridge in the cabin, right? I might make a platter at breakfast and keep it in the fridge.

Thank you for the breakfast tip! There is a fridge in the cabin, right? I might make a platter at breakfast and keep it in the fridge.

Please be aware that the "thing" in your cabin isn't much of a refrigerator. It's more of a "cooler" and stuff does not stay fresh very long in there. Certainly not what you would experience in your home kitchen.

Given the abundance of food every day, it's best to only take what you want to consume that day, and get fresh supplies the next.

:)

I know I'm late for the cheese and wine day, but I will still help you celebrate even if it is a little late. Any excuse for some wine. :D

When we take food for the room we always put a shower cap over it to help keep it fresh. :eek: We use the ones from the hotels. Free and disposable and yes they are new and not used. :)

I know I'm late for the cheese and wine day, but I will still help you celebrate even if it is a little late. Any excuse for some wine. :D

When we take food for the room we always put a shower cap over it to help keep it fresh. :eek: We use the ones from the hotels. Free and disposable and yes they are new and not used. :)

Renee, I am dying to know how a shower cap keeps food fresh!

Renee, I am dying to know how a shower cap keeps food fresh!

Like any cover on food, it stops it from drying out. Just think of it as an elasticised plastic cover. ;)

Years ago, before cling wrap was invented, you used to be able to buy food container covers in various sizes that looked just like shower caps.

Actually I just checked and you can still buy them on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Usable-Colorful-Food-Storage-Covers/dp/B00LBID2EQ

Like any cover on food, it stops it from drying out. Just think of it as an elasticised plastic cover. ;)

Years ago, before cling wrap was invented, you used to be able to buy food container covers in various sizes that looked just like shower caps.

Actually I just checked and you can still buy them on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Usable-Colorful-Food-Storage-Covers/dp/B00LBID2EQ

Yes, but we were talking about fruit and cheese. The concern with those is temperature. Refrigeration.

;)

I have to concur with Merion Mom ... every cruise my wife and I have taken, the last stop we make before heading back to the cabin is at the Windjammer to pick up a plate of cheese. That plus a glass of wine makes an excellent desert, while sitting on the balcony watching / listening to the ocean.

Michael

I had read in these boards a while ago that you could ask wait staff in Windjammer for a plate cover for your to-go plate. Not sure if that is still offered, but if so, handy if you don't happen to be carrying a shower cap.

I had read in these boards a while ago that you could ask wait staff in Windjammer for a plate cover for your to-go plate. Not sure if that is still offered, but if so, handy if you don't happen to be carrying a shower cap.

Some will; some will look at you funny. ;)

The best thing to do if you want one of those plate covers is to order room service. Those plates come covered. Just keep one. :D

Yes, but we were talking about fruit and cheese. The concern with those is temperature. Refrigeration.

It's still important to have them covered. Refrigerated air dries out cheese and cut fruit very quickly.