Never Cruised - So please forgive me!

mt6617

I am going on my first cruise aboard the NCL Epic out of Miami on March 8th, and am overwhelmed.

I have what I think is a good room, on the 9th deck with a balcony, it is toward the bow. Open balcony... I figured that much out from looking at the websites! Not one of those closed balconies. That is what they tried to put me in first.

I have the ultimate beverage package. I don't drink a lot of alcohol but like to have some, and like juices etc.

I did not get the dining package, but did book a couple of restaurants I will like. The steakhouse and the Japanese grill. I compared and found that going to these two and paying the cost was less than the package.

Been looking at the shore excursions, and trying to pick some out. We are going to Jamaica, Cayman, and Cozumel.

I am sorry to be such a newbie, it is really embarrassing, but I am newly single (male) and this "adventure" has been suggested to me. So I DID it!

1. Does it sound like I have made the right choices so far?

2. Would you do the ship sponsored shore trips? I have heard that if it is a "sponsored" excursion and it is late, they will wait on you.

3. Any suggestions on excursions. I am not a thrill hunter, nor do I hang out in libraries. The bob sled deal in Jamaica sounds cool!

4. For singles any suggestions?

5. AND finally... I am driving. Should I park at the terminal or off site?

Sorry to lean on you all, but I am literally a fish out of water, and unfortunately NCL has not been a lot of help. Not sure what they are trying to "sell" to really helping me out!

Thanks,

Mark

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

All of your questions are all about NCL, not really about Florida. I see you have found and asked on your roll call- good for you, that is not easy for a new person to Cruise Critic.

You should probably do some research, and ask questions related to NCL on the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to NCL, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

As to parking at the Terminal, I would suggest doing just that.

On excursions, take a look at what NCL is offering, and see what interests you. Then some specific questions would be better for us to help you with. You might also want to do some research on the Caribbean Ports boards, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Between there and your roll call, you might find private tours to join, or just do it yourself, which is pretty easy on the Caribbean Islands.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks so much! Yes... I found the Roll Call after I made the original post.

I appreciate the links and will review them.

Most of all, you confirmed my thoughts about parking! lol

Have a great day, and thank you for your time!

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.......we were ALL first time cruisers at one time.

There are some very knowledgeable people on these boards who are more than willing to help.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

Your choices look good. Parking at the terminal and doing cruise sponsored excursions are the safe way to go until you get your feet wet. Look at all the excursions that Rcl offers for each port. The excursions range from city tours to zip lining. Dont feel embarressed we all started out just like you. There is plenty of info on this site that will help you get comfortable for your cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critics Forum. I think you are set with Jamaica, You should not wonder in Jamaica port by yourself. So it's good to go with either ship sponsor tour or private tour in Ocho Rios Jamaica. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are safe islands. We did "Stingray and Island" tour with Native Way Watersports in Cayman. It's a private tour and we enjoyed it.

Many like to go to all inclusive (AI) beach clubs with unlimited alcohol in Cozumel. You'll enjoy beautiful beaches and you can snorkel in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. This is the link to Caribbean forums and click the ports that your're going.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Also Mitsugirly has many port reviews about the ports you're going. Just click the links at the bottom of her posts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959571

Thanks so much! Yes... I found the Roll Call after I made the original post.

I appreciate the links and will review them.

Most of all, you confirmed my thoughts about parking! lol

Have a great day, and thank you for your time!

Welcome to cruise critic! So fun to help out a first time cruiser.

Others gave you great points. For the virgin cruiser I would stick with ship excursion while you get experiences with cruising, one less thing to stress about. When you are a veteran you can branch out to arranging your own.

Head over to the NCL board, plenty of expertise over there. Ask ANY question you might have, we all started out where you are. There are some strong opinions on these boards when it comes to things like tipping and smoking, but it general people on cruise critic are very friendly and want to help.

Have a great cruise, just a warning you will be hooked!

Thanks again all! Some very good information, things I have not thought of like the port in Jamaica. As for tipping, I pre paid the charge, but I thought if someone does a good job, I will still add some in person. I know they work hard.

I also know there is tipping at the excursions, And will look into that as well. The links are fantastic, thank you! You all have been so friendly and helpful! I look forward to paying it forward one day. And.... I think I am already hooked!

We have done 2 cruises on the Epic and I am sure you will have a great time. Its a BIG ship with lots going on. We thought the food was just average in the main dining room but loved the speciality restaurants. Entertainment was very good. Hope you have a ball.

Thank you Sandancer! I have booked a few of specialty restaurants, forgive me for not naming them correctly, but they are the Italian restaurant which I understand is over the bridge, the steak house, and the Japanese grill! I figured the rest of the meals would be fine, as I will be having fun!