Rating of River Cruise Lines

eegebe16

I also purchase the Berlitz book and I'm wondering if he is promoting a certain river cruise line? He rates one line, especially, ahead of the others.

We intend to take a spring river cruise in 2016 so we're anxiously awaiting the schedules and prices.

We have contacted a recommended TA and she is definitely promoting a specific river cruise line that we were not even considering.

The prices for some of the "all inclusives" are very close to the low priced river cruise lines.

Someone just wrote on the boards that Vantage includes air travel prices. Wow! I better start looking at them and considering them. I know that air price alone for us will be between $1400 to $1800 each.

I also purchase the Berlitz book and I'm wondering if he is promoting a certain river cruise line? He rates one line, especially, ahead of the others.

We intend to take a spring river cruise in 2016 so we're anxiously awaiting the schedules and prices.

We have contacted a recommended TA and she is definitely promoting a specific river cruise line that we were not even considering.

The prices for some of the "all inclusives" are very close to the low priced river cruise lines.

Someone just wrote on the boards that Vantage includes air travel prices. Wow! I better start looking at them and considering them. I know that air price alone for us will be between $1400 to $1800 each.

Yes and no on that included airfare! If you look in their brochure or on their web page the price listed at the top (the one to catch your eye) does NOT include airfare. When you actually go to the page that lists dates and prices you will note that there are two prices listed, one is land only and the other includes air and transfers. I have traveled with vantage 6 times and each time I check to see if I can beat their air pricing. Only once have I been able to beat them and that's my next trip. Otherwise, their business class rate is very very competitive.:D

Yes and no on that included airfare! If you look in their brochure or on their web page the price listed at the top (the one to catch your eye) does NOT include airfare. When you actually go to the page that lists dates and prices you will note that there are two prices listed, one is land only and the other includes air and transfers. I have traveled with vantage 6 times and each time I check to see if I can beat their air pricing. Only once have I been able to beat them and that's my next trip. Otherwise, their business class rate is very very competitive.:D

We have been fortunate that we can use BA miles and companion tickets to travel Business Class. At our age (retired) our bodies cannot tolerate those 10 hour flights in a coach seat any longer.

The other advantage is access to the lounges, which eases the airport experience,

Totally agree Talisker92. Our bodies can no longer take Economy either. I can actually sleep in Business Class! We use points when we can, but we are willing to pay for it if we have to. The lounges are worth it too!

Totally agree Talisker92. Our bodies can no longer take Economy either. I can actually sleep in Business Class! We use points when we can, but we are willing to pay for it if we have to. The lounges are worth it too!

Don't forget the seperate security lines! I love the Lufthansa lounges and the lay almost flat beds. We're flying Aitlr Canada next and they have seperate "cabin" seats with fully flat beds....and lower fares! :D

In July, I bought a great book for $11.78 from Amazon:

Berlitz River Cruising in Europe [Paperback] by Ward, Douglas

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Berlitz+River+Cruising+in+Europe+%5BPaperback%5D+by+Ward%2C+Douglas

It reviews ALL of the ships by name, with photos, deck plans, and independent opinions. The publication date is July 2014 and, therefore, contains all the new ships. I am really enjoying it. ;)

For first time river cruisers or people who are wondering if a river cruise is right for them, I always recommend, Best Vacation Ever, The Highs and Woes of River Cruising in Provence. Cash Peters has written a hilarious book that paints a great picture of what river cruising is all about. It doesn't compare lines, but it really captures the experience. Of the 7 ratings on Amazon, it has 6 5-star and 1 4-star ratings. The downside is that it's only available as an ebook. It is a "loanable" Kindle book.

Highly Recommended!!

FuelScience

http://*******.com/k53z9nc

For first time river cruisers or people who are wondering if a river cruise is right for them, I always recommend, Best Vacation Ever, The Highs and Woes of River Cruising in Provence. Cash Peters has written a hilarious book that paints a great picture of what river cruising is all about. It doesn't compare lines, but it really captures the experience. Of the 7 ratings on Amazon, it has 6 5-star and 1 4-star ratings. The downside is that it's only available as an ebook. It is a "loanable" Kindle book.

Highly Recommended!!

FuelScience

http://*******.com/k53z9nc

What were the "woes"? We have yet to find any altho we have not cruised Provence:rolleyes:

The woes were mostly obnoxious fellow cruisers. If you've cruised, you'll relate.

FuelScience

Interesting. which cruise line? where were these obnoxious cruisers from? the only time i ran into such a situation was two couples who drank too much and one of whom talked loudly when snockered. Otherwise everyone we have met on board was no problem.

Interesting. which cruise line? where were these obnoxious cruisers from? the only time i ran into such a situation was two couples who drank too much and one of whom talked loudly when snockered. Otherwise everyone we have met on board was no problem.

Wish we could say the same. There are always a few annoying folks on our cruises. Annoying to me because they converse while guide is talking or during shipboard narration, complain about difficulty walking (stairs, uneven surfaces and hills), talk at me rather than converse with me, or have loud conversations in hallways by the staterooms well after the evening activities. None of that keeps me from going on the next cruise.

I am probably in that annoying category to some people. I walk fast, stray from the group (the "whisperers" allow that), and close to the end of a walking tour go off on my own after informing the guide and sometimes find that a couple people just follow along behind me.

Sadly there are people is this world who feel the need to look for trouble and that the "Glass is always half full". Sometimes in travel you need to just see it as an adventure and ignore the bumps in the road!

Please someone remind me about this the next time my luggage goes missing in Europe! May it only happen on the way home :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

Sadly there are people is this world who feel the need to look for trouble and that the "Glass is always half full". Sometimes in travel you need to just see it as an adventure and ignore the bumps in the road!

Please someone remind me about this the next time my luggage goes missing in Europe! May it only happen on the way home :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That should be part of the Traveler's Prayer......or is it? I agree, we've run into some annoyances on our trips (river cruise and other) too, but if you ignore them and refuse to acknowledge the annoyance it goes away! I run into annoying people every single day, why should travel be any different.

I should point out that the book IS titled, The Best Vacation Ever... The author really loved the experience, and without a few "woes," it would be a very boring book. Again, it's a cheap e-book on Amazon and a quick and very fun read.

FuelScience

I should point out that the book IS titled, The Best Vacation Ever... The author really loved the experience, and without a few "woes," it would be a very boring book. Again, it's a cheap e-book on Amazon and a quick and very fun read.

FuelScience

Just finished the book, which I got on your recommendation...thanks, it is a very interesting/funny book.

Regarding some of his fellow passengers being annoying, I can certainly emphasize. 98% of the people are great, and the other 2% make you realize how great it is to be with the 98% group. A Viking Slovak bartender shared that with me after we witnessed a tantrum from a lady who made life miserable for all who encountered her. She has just unloaded on the poor cruise director for 10 minutes. This lady was a highly trained professional, and she just couldn't understand why she wasn't in charge on the ship, as she was in her medical practice.

Relax and go with the flow...you're on vacation!

FuelScience

I agree, our motto that's it's not an adventure until peril is involved is only 1/2 a joke; the best travel stories usually involve overcoming some "challenge"!

Just finished the book, which I got on your recommendation...thanks, it is a very interesting/funny book.

Regarding some of his fellow passengers being annoying, I can certainly emphasize. 98% of the people are great, and the other 2% make you realize how great it is to be with the 98% group. A Viking Slovak bartender shared that with me after we witnessed a tantrum from a lady who made life miserable for all who encountered her. She has just unloaded on the poor cruise director for 10 minutes. This lady was a highly trained professional, and she just couldn't understand why she wasn't in charge on the ship, as she was in her medical practice.

My greatest fear when everyone else seems so nice is that I AM the obnoxious jerk ;)

hopefully, for your example, she was not the ship's doctor whose medical work was interfered with by the "highly trained professional" tour director.:rolleyes:

hopefully, for your example, she was not the ship's doctor whose medical work was interfered with by the "highly trained professional" tour director.:rolleyes:

No, she was a Dentist, complaining that she couldn't get the front seat on the bus for every tour. She had paid for a suite and thought that entitled her to special privileges.

Do you Vantage cruisers know if one of their river cruises has an excursion to Salzburg? That is one of the places I really want to visit but I don't see any excursion to that area, but I could have missed it.

I believe that is one company I don't have a brochure from at this time. Also, how much do you plan for the gratuities?

I've been getting lots of advertising from them in my email. Did you book early to get the best prices?

Thanks for all of your help!

Do you Vantage cruisers know if one of their river cruises has an excursion to Salzburg? That is one of the places I really want to visit but I don't see any excursion to that area, but I could have missed it.

I believe that is one company I don't have a brochure from at this time. Also, how much do you plan for the gratuities?

I've been getting lots of advertising from them in my email. Did you book early to get the best prices?

Thanks for all of your help!

ah, the birth place of Mozart!