Marseille: Shuttle from Cruise Port to Old Port

themanmaw

We will be on NCL Spirit on Nov. 18 in Marseille. I have read many posts, over a period of time, about a shuttle from the cruise port in Marseille to Old Port where you get the Le Petite train. I am unclear on three points: 1. Should we expect there to be a shuttle in November? 2. If so, what is the cost? 3. is it operated by NCL or by the port?

We were on the Epic in April. NCL was running a shuttle but I don't remember how much they were charging. We took the free shuttle operated by the port. Only a short walk from where we docked. Follow the green line to the white shelter. The stop in town is next to Terminal 1, 15 to 20 minute walk to Vieux Port.

Edited by cc_rider

• 2 weeks later...

NCL sells a roundtrip shuttle for $15 which we took when on the Epic . You did not have to pre-purchase them. They were dinging your card to pay for it right at the dock , right next to the bus . Departure was fine although they waited until the bus was fully occupied .We were left off at an desolate stop a good 5 minute walk from where we were promised .

We returned to the drop off spot to find 80 plus passengers waiting . We only got on the third bus . Was not happy . Over a half hour wait and it looked to be much worse for those behind us . I realize Epic is bigger then the Spirit plus they told us that the delay was caused by the port . To a point this was true as there was only a single line open to enter the port causing a real back-up .

You may consider a taxi . Perhaps we just had bad luck but next time that is what I'd do .

• 2 weeks later...
We will be on NCL Spirit on Nov. 18 in Marseille. I have read many posts, over a period of time, about a shuttle from the cruise port in Marseille to Old Port where you get the Le Petite train. I am unclear on three points: 1. Should we expect there to be a shuttle in November? 2. If so, what is the cost? 3. is it operated by NCL or by the port?

When we were there in October last year there were loads of taxis lined up on the dock. Cost for four of us was either 20 or 25 euros each way, can't remember which. It was well worth it for the convenience - no waiting plus it drops you off right beside the stop for the petit train. There were lots of taxis there too for the trip back to the ship.

• 1 month later...

I'll be on the same cruise as the OP, so I'm also interested in this. From everything I've seen, it seems that this free shuttle should be running and it seems to drop us off at a good spot. My biggest question with it is does it pick up passengers to return to the port or not?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we just returned from Marseilles a few days ago. The port bus runs from 9 am - 5 pm. Since we left the ship at 7 am, we took the #35 city bus going into town, but on the way back, we did the port bus. It comes around every 30 minutes, and it is a large articulated bus so it can hold a lot of people and luggage. You can find the stop in town near Place de la Joliette. You will need to go through the white fence (there's a security guard there checking for room cards).

Here are the exact coordinates of the bus stop you can input onto Google Maps:

43.304835, 5.364811

Hi, we just returned from Marseilles a few days ago. The port bus runs from 9 am - 5 pm. Since we left the ship at 7 am, we took the #35 city bus going into town, but on the way back, we did the port bus. It comes around every 30 minutes, and it is a large articulated bus so it can hold a lot of people and luggage. You can find the stop in town near Place de la Joliette. You will need to go through the white fence (there's a security guard there checking for room cards).

43.304835, 5.364811

Thank you very much.

We were in Marseilles 8 Oct 16. We got off the NCL Epic and saw a huge queue for their shuttle. They were directing you to buy tickets and warned that it was a 15 minute ride, not walkable. We went into the information building to ask about the free shuttle. There were severla lines to buy the NCL tickets and a counter with two young women that were handing out local maps. We asked about the free shuttle and the woman kindly marked the map with the pick up sites for both the free map and the local #35. We followed the green line and stood by a kiosk/bench. A man came out and pantomimed a steering wheel and pointed through the gate to indicate that was our bus. We went through the gate and got on the bus labeled "special" which turned out to run every 30 minutes.

I am so grateful to those on the boards who shared this free shuttle!

• 3 months later...

43.304835, 5.364811

Does it operate every day of the week? I seem to remember reading it doesn't run on a Monday, when our ship is in port.

From last month, sorry, forgot to post earlier.

To ship, Sunday: Special leaves from #35 stop at Joliette. Got there at 12.00, driver's lunch break. Finally got to port gate, not far from regular #35 stop, about 13.30. Document check by security at gate, walk to ship from there. Straightforward but about 1 mile, no problem for me because I knew it's a long walk.

From ship, Saturday: Had OBC left, took cruise shuttle to train station. As we passed shuttle stop, at least 200 people waiting, didn't see a Special enroute anywhere.

Would not recommend for most cruise passengers. Would research #35 as backup, Marseille transit is RTM.

• 3 months later...

I am just back and was there on a Monday. It was operating but we had a 40 minute wait for it to turn up. Now in fairness we got off ship a little later so it may be more frequent around time of docking early in the morning. I would keep observing these threads however until September as times and running days could change.

We visited Marseilles twice on our cruise. The first time four of us shared a taxi. The cost including tip was 20€. The second time we took the ship shuttle. I highly recommend the taxi. Ride the ferris wheel! You won't be disappointed.

Are free shuttles regular or there could be time shifts?

The timetable just says every 20 minutes but doesnt list times. We were waiting 40 minutes for one at the port. Was luckier getting it at Joliette to go back.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. We followed the green line to the pickup spot. There were plenty of seats. We waited about 20 minutes. The shuttle ride was pretty long - at least 10 minutes. We were dropped off on a busy street in town. It was about a 20 minute walk to the Petite Train. There are no directions to the Petit Train at the drop-off point. Luckily, we could use google maps.

After riding the train, which was very nice ride, we hailed a taxi to get back. Great idea - it was $20 and they took us directly to the ship - well worth it!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone recently in Marseille seen taxis pick up right at the docK? I don't want to wait for a shuttle, could be a long time. I would rather get a taxi right at the dock from the ship and go straight into the city. My visit will be Oct. 27, outside of the busy summer season and I'm concerned the taxis may not bother coming to the dock late in the season. On Oct. 27, the day I visit, there are 5 ships in port so I am hoping the taxis will want to make some money.