Roatan 240 lb snorkeling limit?

Times Prince

Most weight limits for snorkeling are due to buoyancy of snorkel vests. Snorkel vests are required on ship excursions and many private excursions for liability purposes. You might look into purchasing your own snorkel vest that both fits and is rated to float people who weight more.

Looking at RCCL website and see every Roatan snorkeling excursion has a 240 lb limit, even snorkeling from shore . Does anyone know why?

Crewsweeper gives good info I didn't know, thank you for the education.

Additionally, getting in and out of boats as a fluffy person maybe part of the limit.

I offer the alternative of going to Tabyana and snorkling on your own. This thread has heaps of info about snorkling West Bay, where Tabyana is located.

I have to think it's more due to 1) safety issues of getting back on the boat (climbing a boat ladder, in possibly choppy waters, isn't simple - especially for someone not physically fit); and 2) proper fitting of the vests.

I don't think it's a buoyancy issue - everything I've ever seen, read or heard in swimming/snorkeling/scuba diving training, indicates that "fluffy" = more buoyant. I know in scuba diving those who are heavy-set require much more weight on a weight belt to be able to sink.

Most weight limits for snorkeling are due to buoyancy of snorkel vests. Snorkel vests are required on ship excursions and many private excursions for liability purposes. You might look into purchasing your own snorkel vest that both fits and is rated to float people who weight more.
Thanks - we are long time snorkelers and have our own equipment, including vests and Rx masks. Bought them from a PADI registered dive shop in Austin TX, and the vests match our weights.

Last time we were in Mahogany Bay in Roatan we spent a lot of time just floating without any snorkel vest, so we know we are buoyant.

Crewsweeper gives good info I didn't know, thank you for the education.

Additionally, getting in and out of boats as a fluffy person maybe part of the limit.

I offer the alternative of going to Tabyana and snorkling on your own. This thread has heaps of info about snorkling West Bay, where Tabyana is located.

We understand that some snorkeling boats may have flimsy ladders, and have looked carefully before booking. The issue that I see with Roatan is that the same 240lb limit applies to a SHORE snorkel as well. No limits in other ports, which led me to question what is going on.

We often snorkel on our own, but noted the RCCL ship's excursions had the weight limit, even for Tabyana. Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

Thanks - we are long time snorkelers and have our own equipment, including vests and Rx masks. Bought them from a PADI registered dive shop in Austin TX, and the vests match our weights.

Last time we were in Mahogany Bay in Roatan we spent a lot of time just floating without any snorkel vest, so we know we are buoyant.

We understand that some snorkeling boats may have flimsy ladders, and have looked carefully before booking. The issue that I see with Roatan is that the same 240lb limit applies to a SHORE snorkel as well. No limits in other ports, which led me to question what is going on.

We often snorkel on our own, but noted the RCCL ship's excursions had the weight limit, even for Tabyana. Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

Tabyana is on West Bay Beach, the beach is public as is the water, unless you feel the need to do a snorkle tour with the Tabyana people there is no way they can stop you from walking in the water to snorkle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Many times, I've seen weight limits for activities on cruises- but I've never actually seen them enforced. Even on excursions where weight seems like it would matter - zip lining/horseback riding/etc..

It's not like there is a scale to step on before going out. Since it sounds like you've done quite a bit of snorkeling I'd chalk the fine print up to an insurance/liability thing, book the excursion, and go enjoy myself.

I just wouldn't do the ship excursion. I did a Discover SCUBA in Cozumel through Eagle Ray and weighed more than that.

You could always contact RCCL and ask why the limit applies only to Roatan.

I'm 350+ lbs. I had no problem snorkeling. (Granted I am an athlete, or at least ex athlete...so I'm more of a Shaw body than a sumo wrestler body, but still).

My advice as I posted in the other thread is rent from the dive shop adjacent to the Tabyana Beach ($10 for mask, flippers, snorkel, and vest). They will also go out with you with a life preserver if you ask or even tow you out on a canoe. I didn't need that because I'm an excellent swimmer, but my wife took them up on it.

I'm going to get more videos up soon, but here's the first I uploaded from our March 15th visit. Do not let your weight worry you. First of all, because of how close the reef is to shore, it's not an issue of swimming. Obviously be careful, be decent. But you're never too far from being able to put a foot down on the ground.

We went to West Beach. A guy walked but looking for people to take out to the nervy reef to Snorkel. One of my best snorkels ever. Not very expensive either.

Like other have said some excursions add the weight limit over the vests. I am a 300 Lb guy who loves to Snorkel. I bought my own XL size vest from scuba.com.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went to West Beach. A guy walked but looking for people to take out to the nervy reef to Snorkel. One of my best snorkels ever. Not very expensive either.

Like other have said some excursions add the weight limit over the vests. I am a 300 Lb guy who loves to Snorkel. I bought my own XL size vest from scuba.com.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree that if you are at West Bay beaches hiring one of the small boats to take you further out or up to West End reefs is definitely the way to go. I think it's the cruise lines liability concerns that drive the weight restrictions along with the fact that most small snorkeling excursion vendors don't stock larger vests. needed to properly fit folks over 240 lb.

I am in the 275 range and have a properly sized snorkel vest bought at a dive shop.

Sometime after my starting this thread they removed the stupid weight limit for shore snorkeling exclusions.

Thanks all for the suggestions. we've never been to Tabyana, but might give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

The excursion continues to be confusing... Now, with three weeks to go, this excursion in Costa Maya for a shore snorkel at Beach Escape Beach Club is now only available to book onboard ship - and the 240 lb weight limit is back. All for $62/person, and you have to make your own way back to the ship.

What a bargain.:rolleyes: