To our Frends in the Snowy North

geocruiser

To every one in the snowy north safe and warm. I can't believe some places in N.Y.S .got 5 ft of snow. Stay warm, and it is a great time to be in side and plan a HAL cruise.

PS It should be Friends in the title not Frends

Edited by geocruiser

Thanks for the good wishes to us northerners. We are snow free in Boston but it is cold.

In the event you ever want to edit a thread title, you hit 'edit' the same as to edit any post. Then hit go advanced and you can edit your title. The same time limit applies for both edit functions.

Having lived in Western New York for nearly half my life I can give some insight. The heavy snows are called "lake effect snow" caused when the cold windy weather we're are experiencing crosses the warm great lakes. That snow is falling along the eastern or southeastern sides of all the lakes but seems to be falling most heavily in a narrow band in Buffalo and the suburbs. The winds sweep almost the full length of Lake Erie before making landfall which means the clouds are full of moisture by the time they reach Buffalo.

Where I live now in west central Ohio we have had a few inches of snow but our problem is bitter cold and 30 mph wind gusts. Brrrr! Will be so glad to be in FLL and on the Eurodam in just 12 days.

I'm wondering about some friends who were leaving today for Miami from up state NY for a cruise.

Hope your friends were able to fly to Miami. There are some areas in upstate NY that have five Feet of snow on the ground and it is still snowing. That is some serious snow plowing that needs to be done.

Brrrr..

Some of the cold air is drifting into South West Fla. tonight.Right now it's 48 but with the wind chill it's like 40 & getting colder tonight.. :)

Went out with our Pup & she was too cold to stay out which she normally enjoys doing..She ran back into the house before I did..

Hope our Friends up North are staying warm & please stay safe!

Edited by serendipity1499

Hope your friends were able to fly to Miami. There are some areas in upstate NY that have five Feet of snow on the ground and it is still snowing. That is some serious snow plowing that needs to be done.

Thanks Sails, I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they made it. Their cruise does not start until Thursday. They live in Syracuse, certain use to bad lake effect snow's.

I grew up in Upstate New York and DH is from Minnesota, so we know all about winter. We moved to Florida 9.5 years ago and don't regret it. Although, it is actually 26 degrees here this morning, but no snow! We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam this Sunday and I'm sure there will probably be Northerners ready to dig out and get some Caribbean sun with us. Safe travels to all who are cruising this weekend!

We already have over a foot of snow and -20 with high winds. Buffalo got hammered with 100 cm of snow and people were stuck in their vehicles for 30 hours on the I-90. 4 deaths reported, 3 from heart attacks while shoveling.

Stay safe everyone.

To every one in the snowy north safe and warm. I can't believe some places in N.Y.S .got 5 ft of snow. Stay warm, and it is a great time to be in side and plan a HAL cruise.

PS It should be Friends in the title not Frends

Here's an update from the frozen North.

We have 5 feet of fallen snow, but the drifts are about 8-10 feet high. Our streets are impassible and literally unplowable. They will have to bring in front loaders and dump trucks to clear the snow as the snow is too high for plows to handle. Although we're in a non-snow lull right now, another band of LES is scheduled to hit within the next 48 hours and dump another 2 feet.

We can't open our doors with all that snow piled against them, but DH just opened the garage door and it didn't avalanche into the garage so it's a start. Snowblowing this amount of snow requires the inch by inch technique, and requires a shovel - go 1 or 2 inches with the snowblower, back up, take shovel and knock down some snow from that 5-10 ft. wall, advance 1 or 2 inches and clear that snow, back up and repeat,repeat repeat.... It's very slow going.

We are grateful that we don't have any acute medical issues and have plenty of food in the house, but we are concerned that we are going to run out of gas for the snowblower before we get the driveway cleared.

We're hoping to get out of house by the weekend.

PathfinderEss,

Hope your friends are OK and can fly.

1of4 stay warm and safe.

VioletHorse

WOW! You got hit hard. Stay safe and be careful removing the snow.

I am a snow bird from Rochester NY. We had lots of snow last year BUT not like you have. I just can wrap my head around how much you had and will have.

We have 5 feet of fallen snow, but the drifts are about 8-10 feet high. Our streets are impassible and literally unplowable. They will have to bring in front loaders and dump trucks to clear the snow as the snow is too high for plows to handle. Although we're in a non-snow lull right now, another band of LES is scheduled to hit within the next 48 hours and dump another 2 feet.

We can't open our doors with all that snow piled against them, but DH just opened the garage door and it didn't avalanche into the garage so it's a start. Snowblowing this amount of snow requires the inch by inch technique, and requires a shovel - go 1 or 2 inches with the snowblower, back up, take shovel and knock down some snow from that 5-10 ft. wall, advance 1 or 2 inches and clear that snow, back up and repeat,repeat repeat.... It's very slow going.

We are grateful that we don't have any acute medical issues and have plenty of food in the house, but we are concerned that we are going to run out of gas for the snowblower before we get the driveway cleared.

How is your roof? I guess it is impossible to use a roof rake now.

PathfinderEss,

Hope your friends are OK and can fly.

1of4 stay warm and safe.

VioletHorse

WOW! You got hit hard. Stay safe and be careful removing the snow.

I am a snow bird from Rochester NY. We had lots of snow last year BUT not like you have. I just can wrap my head around how much you had and will have.

Snow bird - I am so envious!

DH just came in. It took him 2 hours to clear a narrow path from our attached garage to the front door (about 12 feet), so now we have a door that opens to a wall of snow. He did manage to use the roof rake to pull down a tremendous amount of snow that was overhanging the lower roof in the front of the house, and I think we've got a big landscaping job coming this spring since everything under that snow has suffered a lot of damage. I never really liked those bushes anyhow.

DD called to find out how we are coping and suggested that I start looking at cruises. Sounds good to me.

Snow bird - I am so envious!

DH just came in. It took him 2 hours to clear a narrow path from our attached garage to the front door (about 12 feet), so now we have a door that opens to a wall of snow. He did manage to use the roof rake to pull down a tremendous amount of snow that was overhanging the lower roof in the front of the house, and I think we've got a big landscaping job coming this spring since everything under that snow has suffered a lot of damage. I never really liked those bushes anyhow.

DD called to find out how we are coping and suggested that I start looking at cruises. Sounds good to me.

Looking a cruise is a great idea. Last year we got down south on 1/9 (two months later than we normally do). It snowed all the time and two days before we left with the wind chill it was -27 degrees. But the snow came every day, with a break to clear it out. Nothing, like you are going through. Five feet + is too much snow. I think the most we had in a day was two feet. And that is easy to clear with a blower. I just can't think about how much you have. To open your door (if you can) and see snow as tall or taller than you. It must be scary. Keep safe and warm. A good day to bake or sew.

VioletHorse, where in the Buffalo area are you located? I'm originally from Williamsville which is near the airport. Only around 4 inches there so I assume they're operating normally. Most of my extended family live east and north and are doing fine. The ones toward Fredonia not so well.

I remember more than one lake effect storm there. Pretty and great for kids, but not much fun if you are an adult. I heard today that there is a call out for citizens to shovel snow at $10 and hour and a free game ticket to get the stadium cleared for Sunday's Buffalo Bill's game. Wonder how the fans will get to the game with the major highways still shut down and more snow on the way.

Stay safe. The temperatures are supposed to get near fifty over the weekend so hopefully, a little melting will help. Please don't overdo the shoveling/snow plowing. Most important is to stay safe.

Called our friends and they had no problems getting out and they are now walking around Miami waiting for their ship to come in tomorrow.

Good news. Thanks for sharing, Melodie. :)

My dad lived his whole life in the city of Chicago. He used to say that Chicago has three seasons a year--July, August and Winter. We have had an artic blast the past few days and it is sooooooooooooooo cold!

I like that Himself, three season July, August and Winter, I'm going to try to remember that. Sorry it is so cold in Chicago.

I'm not geocruiser, but we have had tremendous difficulty in trying to remove the snow. The snow has compressed and is dense. We basically have to chop it and break it up before we can run the snowblower, and that's tough when the snow is 5 ft. tall. We still have not been able to cut a path to the street which had a single car width cleared by a front loader last evening.

One of our neighbors contacted someone with a bobcat, and if he shows up we'll have him clear our driveway. The snow that we have is way beyond the capabilites of snowblowers and snowplows of any size. The snow has to be lifted up and carried away.

DH's SUV which is parked in the driveway sustained some damage from the weight of the snow. The radio antenna bent like a pretzel, and the passenger side mirror was ripped off by the snow.

Despite that, our main concern is the snow load on our roof. We've made minimal progress even with using our roof rake, and we'll be going back outside shortly to work on that again. The worst news is that the temperatures are going to rise into the 50's accompanied by rain in couple of days. There have been a number of roof collapses already, and the number will skyrocket with warmer temperatures, to say nothing of flooding concerns. That really frightens me.

The good news is that we have heat, lights, water and plenty of food and meds. I usually go into a stock up mode for winter, and it pays off in these kinds of situations.