Hollywood to Port of Long Beach

Cookson

A taxi will be expensive. I would recommend a shuttle, or if there are several of you, book an exclusive shuttle. SuperShuttle is easy to book on-line, and their ExecuCar service is reasonable for a group exclusive shuttle.

Metrolink

As long as you want to carry all your luggage from hotel to nearest Metrolink cave and then change to two other line with your luggage.

As long as you only have one small piece of luggage it is doable.

Metro is an option. www.metro.net

=Hollywood Western, Hollywood Vine, Hollywood Highland or Universal station to the 7th Street Metro Center go upstairs to the

=Blue line to the Long Beach Transit Mall ($3 +$1, 1.5hours)

transfer to

=Passport Bus to the Queen Mary. (free, 20 minutes)

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

Metro is $1.50 per segment and have to buy a TAP card for $1. Need to tap at each segment.

Also pack light. We took Metro/Passport to Long Beach in November for our last Splendor cruise. It was standing room only on the Blue line. We travel with 22"cases. Tote bag and computer were packed in our suitcases.

Edited by SadieN

We're staying in Hollywood for a few nights before the cruise. What's the best way to get to Long Beach from our hotel in Hollywood?

Another question would be "Which hotel in Hollywood?" You may or may not be schlepping your luggage around the streets of Hollywood...not to mention in all of those crowded Metro cars and Metro stations...

IMHO, a shuttle is the way to go--door-to-door service and equipped to actually take luggage...

Super Shuttle price from the hotel to the port is $141. Cab price is about $100. I really don't want to mess around, and bounce from train to train to bus.... so a cab may be the best option as we'll just go straight.

We're staying IN Hollywood, I mean, just a few blocks from the Kodak Theater(Formally Garumans Chinese Theater?)... so it's not walking distance to the closest Metro stop(Glendale). A cab to the Glendale Station is about $25. Tickets are about $15(just two of us), then a cab from the closest metro stop to the port is $72..... so I might as well just pay to go straight there with a cab. The map doesn't say there's a stop by Long Beach.

Super Shuttle price from the hotel to the port is $141. Cab price is about $100. I really don't want to mess around, and bounce from train to train to bus.... so a cab may be the best option as we'll just go straight.

We're staying IN Hollywood, I mean, just a few blocks from the Kodak Theater(Formally Garumans Chinese Theater?)... so it's not walking distance to the closest Metro stop(Glendale). A cab to the Glendale Station is about $25. Tickets are about $15(just two of us), then a cab from the closest metro stop to the port is $72..... so I might as well just pay to go straight there with a cab. The map doesn't say there's a stop by Long Beach.

I think you've got a lot of bad information here...

First of all, Super Shuttle charges (I used the Roosevelt since you didn't specify which hotel you booked) $60 for two from hotel to Long Beach port in a shared shuttle, $70 for "Execucar express", $95 for Execucar sedan, $116 for a private shuttle van, etc.

Second, Glendale is NOT the closest Metro station...there's one at Hollywood and Highland--virtually right under Grauman's Chinese...

There is a main terminal...at the end of one of the Metro lines IN Long Beach...a very short ride to the port...

Still, we're it me, I'd avoid the Metro in this case and spring for one of the Shuttle options, likely the Execucar Express...

Oh, yeah...the Kodak Theater is NOT "formerly Grauman's Chinese"... The Kodak is in the same block, but it is a newer Theater that hosts, among other things, the Oscars...Grauman's is now "Mann's" though most of us still call it "Grauman's"...it's the old theater with the footprints...

Also, still wondering which hotel you've booked if someone's quoting you $141 and telling you Glendale is the nearest Metro!!

Edited by Bruin Steve

I don't know what Metro map I was looking at....

Yeah, there's a station literally 2 or 3 blocks from the hotel.... Can ride that to the start of the blue line(7th street metro station) down to the Long Beach "transit mall". Question, will there be cabs waiting at this metro stop?

Look at post 5 for other metro info.

No cabs at the Long Beach Trasnit Center and sometimes the office is closed. To get to the Passport bus turn left when exiting the train and then turn right off the platform. Cross the street and walk straight to the far corner. The busstop is in front of a brewpub.

The Los Angeles transit system is still having 'growing pains'. The newly implemented TAP card system is confusing to use at first. Each person needs a card. Leave early and plan on a lengthy journey (about 2 hours).

Pack light. A 26" suitcase can't be stored under or next to your seat.

Many Angelenos avoid the trains & busses. My family seems to be the only ones on these boards to use it to Long Beach.

It is much easier to take a shuttle.

Edited by SadieN

You can't be serious!:eek:

I'd rather spend less than $10 then over $50!

We're planning on leaving early in the morning regardless... like 7... should give us time to "check in" at the port before lots of people!

I don't know what Metro map I was looking at....

Yeah, there's a station literally 2 or 3 blocks from the hotel.... Can ride that to the start of the blue line(7th street metro station) down to the Long Beach "transit mall". Question, will there be cabs waiting at this metro stop?

Again, I would not recommend using public transportation in LA...

First, Metro isn't designed for tourist purposes...it will be a hassle to schlepping your luggage on and off and to keep it with you on board...other passengers will not appreciate it...

Second, most of us locals (with cars) don't use it...LA is a car-based culture...if you can afford a car, you drive everywhere...most of the people who use the Metro or the buses are the poorer folks who can't afford cars...working class people who use it to get to their jobs...the main line you'd take to Long Beach goes through most of the poorest neighborhoods in the city, stopping frequently to let these folks on and off...

Third, taxicabs just don't wait around in a lot of places in LA...you generally need to prearrange them...and cabbies don't like wasting their time doing short hops-- like the Long Beach Metro to the port or Hollywood hotels to the Metro...you'd likely end up walking through Hollywood schlepping your luggage and looking for the Passport shuttle to get from the Long Beach Metro to the Queen Mary and walking from there...adding in a change of Metro trains at Union Station downtown, it's simply not worth it...also consider the extra travel time as you make the changes and wait through all the stops.

Again, try plugging your hotel name and Long Beach port to the super shuttle website...it should not be much different from the price I pulled up for the Execucar Express service...$70 plus a tip is well worth it for the convenience of a pick up right at your hotel and a drop off right at the pier...

Also, beware that $100 estimate for a taxi...you are exactly the type of customer that some unscrupulous cabbie will abuse for a higher fare...the meter will pass the $100 mark and just keep running...

This one is a no-brainer in my book...

Edited by Bruin Steve

What's the address I would us for the port of Long Beach in the Super Shuttle search? I'm pretty sure I did this and it was like $140

hit airports then scroll down to Port of Long Beach. Or you could just use the address of the Queen Mary.

As Steve is saying the LA public transportation isn't for the faint of heart. I know he thinks;) my family is nuts for using it.

Edited by SadieN

I'd rather spend less than $10 then over $50!

We're planning on leaving early in the morning regardless... like 7... should give us time to "check in" at the port before lots of people!

Penny wise and pound foolish!

7:00 am? Those early morning Metro commuters will love you...and Carnival isn't letting you on anywhere near that early anyway...you are going to be sitting in the parking lot with your luggage for a couple of hours...assuming it doesn't take you several hours to get there (which it might)...

How much money are you spending on your vacation? What is an extra $50 or so to give you a relatively painless and stress-free trip? How much is your time worth? Or are you looking for "adventure"?

I also hope that this hotel you won't name is not one of the seedier ones in Hollywood you've also booked to save a few bucks? You may find yourselves staying in a place with transients, hookers and addicts...and other guests who rent by the hour! There ARE some nice hotels in Hollywood...most of them cost a reasonable price...there are also some I'd be afraid to stay at...

Penny wise and pound foolish!

7:00 am? Those early morning Metro commuters will love you...and Carnival isn't letting you on anywhere near that early anyway...you are going to be sitting in the parking lot with your luggage for a couple of hours...assuming it doesn't take you several hours to get there (which it might)...

How much money are you spending on your vacation? What is an extra $50 or so to give you a relatively painless and stress-free trip? How much is your time worth? Or are you looking for "adventure"?

I also hope that this hotel you won't name is not one of the seedier ones in Hollywood you've also booked to save a few bucks? You may find yourselves staying in a place with transients, hookers and addicts...and other guests who rent by the hour! There ARE some nice hotels in Hollywood...most of them cost a reasonable price...there are also some I'd be afraid to stay at...

It's a Days Inn

Scroll to the bottom...Long Beach Harbor

Thanks! It's $51. Why when I put in the Queen Mary address it's $129... weird. This is probably what we'll be doing.

Will they call when they're there at the hotel or what?

It's a Days Inn

Not a terrible choice...not a hotel I'd stay in, but my standards are a little higher...I'm glad to see you're not a few blocks EAST of Grauman's...and, at least, in a chain with some standards...

This puts you on Sunset, just off La Brea...near Hollywood High School... You will at least have lots of fast food nearby

Thanks! It's $51. Why when I put in the Queen Mary address it's $129... weird. This is probably what we'll be doing.

Will they call when they're there at the hotel or what?

They'll probably give you an approximate time and you should likely be checked out and waiting in the lobby with your luggage...I think that $51 is for the first passenger, an additional $9 for the second in a shared shuttle, correct?

You may end up making a stop or two to pick up others, but it is definitely well worth it compared to using the Metro...they'll take you and your luggage straight from your hotel to the cruise terminal...it should take maybe an hour + or - and it will make your life easy...

Have fun...

Another question(lol)

At the Port of Miami after the cruise there were cab drivers BEGGING to give you a lift... will the Port of Long Beach have cabs waiting after the cruise like in Miami? Will just use the taxi(to LAX) if available with no reservations etc.

Or does Carnival offer a shuttle ride to LAX?