Rough seas on Canada/New England Cruise??

I know sea conditions can vary greatly depending on all sorts of factors. Some areas are prone to rougher seas, but I couldn't find out if the Canadian and US east coast is one of them. If you have sailed the Boston to Montreal route what was your experience? Thanks for any info.

Thanks. I know there is no guaranty of good or bad seas. Am considering this as an option for a cruise with my sister. She is terrified of getting sea sick. She had a bad experience years ago and is scared it will happen again. She was fine when we did the inside passage to Alaska, but those seas were unbelievabley calm.

We sailed Boston to Quebec City many years ago. No rough seas from Boston to QC but the return saw very rough seas once we got into the Atlantic. They were handing our Dramamine like it was candy, emptied pools, etc. Having been on numerous other cruises, waves were 2-3x larger than anything I'd seen before. It was a late September cruise.

It will also depend on the time of year

If there is a tropical storm or hurricane it usually comes right up the coast

Go in the spring or early summer ...no fall colours but probably a smoother ride ;)

We sailed Boston to Quebec City many years ago. No rough seas from Boston to QC but the return saw very rough seas once we got into the Atlantic. They were handing our Dramamine like it was candy, emptied pools, etc. Having been on numerous other cruises, waves were 2-3x larger than anything I'd seen before. It was a late September cruise.

Yikes!!:eek: That would put her off for sure.

It will also depend on the time of year

If there is a tropical storm or hurricane it usually comes right up the coast

Go in the spring or early summer ...no fall colours but probably a smoother ride ;)

We are thinking maybe early to mid July so hopefully a good chance for decent weather. She is a teacher so she has to wait til school is out.

We are thinking maybe early to mid July so hopefully a good chance for decent weather. She is a teacher so she has to wait til school is out.

HAL have some 7 day cruises check them out

HAL have some 7 day cruises check them out

We're booked for this cruise with Celebrity in October. I live on southeastern Long Island, and one thing you MUST keep in mind is hurricane season runs from late August to early November. One good thing about hurricanes (????) is you usually where they're going, when they'll get there and how bad they'll be when they make landfall. I am sure the cruise lines do all they can to avoid running into one and will reroute, put into port or stay in port to "ride it out". Problem is if you really want to see the beautiful New England colors you have to take the possibility of hurricanes into consideration. :D

We're booked for this cruise with Celebrity in October. I live on southeastern Long Island, and one thing you MUST keep in mind is hurricane season runs from late August to early November. One good thing about hurricanes (????) is you usually where they're going, when they'll get there and how bad they'll be when they make landfall. I am sure the cruise lines do all they can to avoid running into one and will reroute, put into port or stay in port to "ride it out". Problem is if you really want to see the beautiful New England colors you have to take the possibility of hurricanes into consideration. :D

The OP said they were looking at July

That'll teach me to read the complete thread and not just the first post. :D

July is usually a nice time to sail in the northeast..only thing missing will be the fall colors.

In Ontario we get lots of fall colours more are just a short drive away if need be

;)

In Ontario we get lots of fall colours more are just a short drive away if need be

;)

You get fall colors in July? I've been in Toronto in July and it hasn't been that cold....of course, Ontario is a big province. We don't usually get color until late Sept./Oct.

You get fall colors in July? I've been in Toronto in July and it hasn't been that cold....of course, Ontario is a big province. We don't usually get color until late Sept./Oct.

NO we get them in the FALL

The point was ..we do not need to go on a cruise in the fall to see the colours like people from other parts of the Country that do not get to see them

Edited by LHT28

NO we get them in the FALL

The point was ..we do not need to go on a cruise in the fall to see the colours like people from other parts of the Country that do not get to see them

That's true......but cruising is so much fun...why do we need a reason???:D

I would love to do this route for a cruise to see the fall colours, but with my sister's job it would be impossible. July is probably the best time for her. Like a previous poster said, living in Ontario we can see lots of fall colour ( in the fall). :p

Prevention is the best answer for all cruises, you just never know when you will experience rough seas. I plan for it no matter what, I take the motion sickness pills that you take one time every 24 hours. I start taking the pills like 2 days prior to the cruise and through the entire cruise. I do not drink liquor so this is not a problem for me. I also take my pills at night before bed. While my husband takes his every morning since he on occasion likes to have a mixed drink one or two nights on the cruise.