Birth Certificate

gatorinark

Afraid DW passport renewal won't be back in time for cruise. Have never cruised using birth certificate. If she travels with birth certificate and drivers license will she need to bring copy of marriage license since name on drivers license is different than on birth certificate?

Afraid DW passport renewal won't be back in time for cruise. Have never cruised using birth certificate. If she travels with birth certificate and drivers license will she need to bring copy of marriage license since name on drivers license is different than on birth certificate?

Yes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Usually not a problem, but sometimes people are having a bad day or the Feds are cracking down.

People have been denied boarding due to no bridge documentation.

If you have this documentation and don't need it, life is great. If you don't have this documentation and someone asks for it, you're not getting on the ship.

Or, since Sk8rmomof3 says there's no problem and she guarantees reimbursement of all lost monies in writing, go without it.

Yes you will need the marriage license to show why the name change occurred

Right from Carnival.......

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest's full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

Note: For newly married or soon-to-be married brides, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

Since our reservation systems do not accept middle names, the middle name must be included during the Online Check-In process.

The turn around time for renewals is ~ 2 weeks now so she may get it before she sails, you did not say when the cruise begins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The turn around time for renewals is ~ 2 weeks now so she may get it before she sails,

Not necessarily. I applied for a renewal/name change 14 weeks prior to our cruise. It took them 4 weeks to email me and tell me my photos (that were taken at the post office) didn't meet the requirements, and they would send me something in the mail to fill out and mail new photos back. That took another 10 days. I battled the post office for a week, got new photos taken, and mailed them back. We leave in 3 weeks and I still don't have my passport. I have called and called. They said they received the new photos, and there's nothing in the system that says they aren't acceptable. Right now it's just a waiting game. Granted, it's an exception because I had a problem with my photos, but even after they received the new ones it's been almost 6 weeks and still no passport. Stuff happens.

I believe we will err on side of caution and bring BC, marriage license and DL if passport not received.

Good choice. Always err on the side of caution where any form of officialdom (even unofficial) is concerned. You never know when some new person is going to go "Gee, I don't know the answer to this, so it's safer to say NO." (I speak as an old military guy who had to deal with Soviet officers on the Frankfurt-Berlin Duty Train.)

Not necessarily. I applied for a renewal/name change 14 weeks prior to our cruise. It took them 4 weeks to email me and tell me my photos (that were taken at the post office) didn't meet the requirements, and they would send me something in the mail to fill out and mail new photos back. That took another 10 days. I battled the post office for a week, got new photos taken, and mailed them back. We leave in 3 weeks and I still don't have my passport. I have called and called. They said they received the new photos, and there's nothing in the system that says they aren't acceptable. Right now it's just a waiting game. Granted, it's an exception because I had a problem with my photos, but even after they received the new ones it's been almost 6 weeks and still no passport. Stuff happens.

The unusable photos and the name change certainly are part of the delay.

My DW and I renewed ours in 2014 and got our new ones in 16 calendar days. Pretty fast!

When bringing a ML, where are you storing the license during the trip? Did you obtain a copy of it somehow? Same goes for the BC. Thanks!

There should be a safe in your stateroom, you set the combination, then lock it.