Is this a good Miami hotel?

Barwick Cruiser

Have been checking different sites for a hotel for 2 nights pre cruise in October and came across The Hotel of South Beach...anyone stayed here before and can recommend? I don't know Miami well at all, does this seem like a good place to stay? There's a good special on now that I'd like to take advantage of but which requires full payment upfront which I don't mind if I know it's a clean place with quiet rooms. Thanks for any input.

Have been checking different sites for a hotel for 2 nights pre cruise in October and came across The Hotel of South Beach...anyone stayed here before and can recommend? I don't know Miami well at all, does this seem like a good place to stay? There's a good special on now that I'd like to take advantage of but which requires full payment upfront which I don't mind if I know it's a clean place with quiet rooms. Thanks for any input.

I never book a hotel rate that requires payment up front. These rates are usually no-refundable. Sometimes on chain hotels like Hilton is pay upfront if within 30 days of departure.

I never do advanced purchase for hotels. It's just a think I have. It seems that I always find something better after I've locked in to prepaying. When they say no refunds, they mean no refunds. The hotel is nice good location a block off the beach, I can't recall, but I don't think they have a pool, which may not be a. If deal to you. Most of the boutiques in SoBe don't have pools, but some do, which is where we prefer to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would visit Trip Advisor. There are quite a lot of reviews on the hotel.

Overall it gets very good marks and ranked 19 of 206 Miami Beach Hotels.

Keith

I did check trip advisor and yes, it gets very good reviews but I wasn't sure if all the reviews are actually legitimate on there?

They do have a pool, it's on the roof with a nice view and they do provide loungers on the beach for guests. I also don't like paying upfront, yes, that means it's non-refundable but can't find any decent prices for nice places that offer free cancellations...kind of a quandary :(

Tripadivisor ratings tend to be pretty good, and very accurate IMO. If you want to be in South Beach its a decent location. It is on Collins right next to Ocean Drive. Think of that as Miami's "time square" a place everyone wants to see, but its very touristy. No locals would ever get a meal around there. But you also have the beach right there, which its a great beach.

I prefer locations a bit more north in Miami Beach closer to 17th street. If you don't want to go to the beach and you are looking for more of an urban spot, such as a place to eat/drink walk around, I would look into a Brickell hotel. I once saved over $350.00 booking a hotel on hotels.com after a rate for a room I booked plummeted a few weeks later.

As for the pay upfront issue. I typically book hotels with hotels.com if you find a cheaper rate, anywhere before check-in they will refund you the difference from the rate you paid to the rate you found advertised.

Tripadivisor ratings tend to be pretty good, and very accurate IMO. If you want to be in South Beach its a decent location. It is on Collins right next to Ocean Drive. Think of that as Miami's "time square" a place everyone wants to see, but its very touristy. No locals would ever get a meal around there. But you also have the beach right there, which its a great beach.

I prefer locations a bit more north in Miami Beach closer to 17th street. If you don't want to go to the beach and you are looking for more of an urban spot, such as a place to eat/drink walk around, I would look into a Brickell hotel. I once saved over $350.00 booking a hotel on hotels.com after a rate for a room I booked plummeted a few weeks later.

As for the pay upfront issue. I typically book hotels with hotels.com if you find a cheaper rate, anywhere before check-in they will refund you the difference from the rate you paid to the rate you found advertised.

Great advice, thank you for this. We do want to be close to the beach but perhaps not right in the thick of things lol! Will have a look at the Brickell area.

I did check trip advisor and yes, it gets very good reviews but I wasn't sure if all the reviews are actually legitimate on there?

They do have a pool, it's on the roof with a nice view and they do provide loungers on the beach for guests. I also don't like paying upfront, yes, that means it's non-refundable but can't find any decent prices for nice places that offer free cancellations...kind of a quandary :(

Check out booking.com and filter by "free cancellation" as well as "no pre-payment". The offerings may be limited, but at least you will have an idea of what is available. Even if you select just the "free cancellation" option, and the hotel does charge for at least one night stay, you have up until the date listed to cancel, and you will be refunded within a week or so (but follow up directly with the hotel). I have done this a number of times while I shopped around.

Great advice, thank you for this. We do want to be close to the beach but perhaps not right in the thick of things lol! Will have a look at the Brickell area.

Well Brickell is "in the thick of things" just a different things, in the middle of Miami's business hub/financial district. But its very close to the port. You will need to drive/cab to the beach from Brickell.

I LOVE this hotel! I love the rooms, public spaces, and rooftop pool! I stay here every chance I get.

I would not hesitate to prepay here for a deal.

Thanks for your recommendation...anything we should know before booking? i.e. best floor/location for a quiet room, good place to eat close by (we like seafood), somewhere to pick up cruise wine?