Buying some wine prior to boarding in Barcelona

don1976

We're flying into Barcelona very late one saturday night in July, and boarding the next day on Norwegian Epic.

I plan to buy some wine before we board and then pay corkage, as my wife tends to only drink Rose wine, of which there is very little choice on board.

So, Barcelona on a sunday morning near the port - is there likely to be anywhere open to buy alcohol ?

I would try to get some at the airport. Rose wine is (as far as I remeber, but we usually go for tinto or blanco) is not that common in Spain.

Rose has become much more popular here in Spain and there are some good ones available from Rioja and especially from the Navarra region. We don't drink anything else apart from the odd glass of Cava when we fancy a glass of fizz.

Agree with Clarea that the port Duty Free shop is your only choice on a Sunday morning.

Edited by campolady

There is an excellent wine department at the El Cortes department store, up at Placa Catalunya. Or, hit the Boqueria - I remember some places to buy wine there. Or, if you want something cheaper, I think the supermarket up the street on La Rambla, a little across from the infamous Hotel Continental, has a modest wine aisle.

OOPS. I didn't see the Sunday reference there. So, I can't comment if these places are open on a Sunday. But any other day...

Edited by slidergirl

As Campolady has already mentioned you can get some decent Rioja or Navarra Rose wines. However, if I was buying it in Barcelona I think I would choose a Catalan one. Something like Torres de Casta would be a good choice as would a rose Cava. They are also likely to have them in the duty free shop at the port.

Rose has become much more popular here in Spain and there are some good ones available from Rioja and especially from the Navarra region. We don't drink anything else apart from the odd glass of Cava when we fancy a glass of fizz.

Agree with Clarea that the port Duty Free shop is your only choice on a Sunday morning.

Thanks.

Are there several duty free shops, one in each terminal, or is there one central one. I suppose what I'm getting at is will I need to go hunting for it or will it be fairly obvious ?

Thanks.

Are there several duty free shops, one in each terminal, or is there one central one. I suppose what I'm getting at is will I need to go hunting for it or will it be fairly obvious ?

Not sure about all the terminals, but you could not miss it in the terminal we were in. It was right after check-in, on the way to the ship.

Can I assume that the duty free shop will also sell alcohol?

Is alcohol expensive in Spain...maybe some scotch and drambuie?

Not sure we can purchase in Detroit Duty Free since we will not fly direct to Barcelona.

Alcohol is cheap in Spain except for French cognac and Champagne and Scotch whisky. Why can't you buy it in US if you are on an international flight?

You can't carry it on as hand luggage if you are connecting, security reasons etc.