Planning first solo cruise

gottacruisemore

Finally ready to book my first solo and first Mediterranean cruise.

So many options to consider, but I think I have it narrowed to three ships.

1. MSC - 7 nt Venice roundtrip

a. Musica - Sept 3 - balcony - $2000

b. Sinfonia- Sept 30 - balcony - $1700

2. Cunard - 7 nt

a. QV - Sept 16 - Rome roundtrip - balcony - $2600

b. QV - Oct 21 - Venice to Rome - balcony - $2300

3. NCL - 7 nt Rome roundtrip

a. Epic - Sept 27 - studio - $1400

b. Epic - Sept 27 - balcony - $3000

I'm most nervous about the studio, I like balconies or at least a window, but the price is good. I don't know anything about MSC, so I'm researching it more now.

Are there other things I should consider?

Hi I have only sailed NCL as a solo. I think for your first cruise it would be the best you have the solo lounge and a organised meal at night if you want to.The room is bigenough for one person and there is so much to do you will only sleep in it. Colin

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

Edited by colincorky

I really enjoyed my studio on the Epic. It didn't feel in the least bit cramped, and the access to the studio lounge and its coffee machine is a real perk.

I spent a lot of time on excursions on the Rome cruise, so wasn't in the room much. I certainly wouldn't have gotten much usage out of a balcony at all.

As a first time solo cruiser, I'd stick with the studio and NCL.

Plus, the Med is a BIG trip for a solo cruiser, first timer or not.

A Med cruise takes a fair amount of planning. The best place to start is on your CC roll call. Try to join groups for excursions, which can be pricey, but half the price if you go independently. Some solos prefer ship excursions, but Ive always found independent ones are more intimate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I would agree with others - you should go with NCL studio cabin for a newbie. Once you try your first cruise you can branch out and try other lines. MSC caters to a more European clientele and get mixed reviews. Some people love them; others hate them. Cunard is good, but caters to an older more traditional formal crowd; whereas, NCL caters to a relaxed non-formal "free-style" atmosphere. That is great for such a port intensive cruise. It has a dedicated solo studio lounge.

My first solo cruise (cruise period) was a Transatlantic with Cunard and I loved it so would recommend Cunard for solos. Unlike NCL Cunard has traditional dining--set dining times with persons assigned to the table. This worked really well for me--I did my own activities all day but then got to meet a group of people and share my experiences with them every night. On NCL as a solo you are on your own for meals, which I have also done and enjoyed but for my first cruise it was nice to have the security of a group of people to share at least one meal with most nights.

My first solo cruise (cruise period) was a Transatlantic with Cunard and I loved it so would recommend Cunard for solos. Unlike NCL Cunard has traditional dining--set dining times with persons assigned to the table. This worked really well for me--I did my own activities all day but then got to meet a group of people and share my experiences with them every night. On NCL as a solo you are on your own for meals, which I have also done and enjoyed but for my first cruise it was nice to have the security of a group of people to share at least one meal with most nights.

Just to note: On the NCL ship's where they have the dedicated solo studio cabins/lounges - the social host does try to organize group solo dining together at a specific time. On the other NCL's ships - solos are pretty much on their own.

As a first time solo cruiser, I'd stick with the studio and NCL.

Plus, the Med is a BIG trip for a solo cruiser, first timer or not.

A Med cruise takes a fair amount of planning. The best place to start is on your CC roll call. Try to join groups for excursions, which can be pricey, but half the price if you go independently. Some solos prefer ship excursions, but Ive always found independent ones are more intimate.

Agree with this about joining the roll call. I solo'd the Med this year on the Carnival Vista. I'm typically a wing it as I go type of person on vacation, but a lot of the ports in the Med are no where near the interesting places. It takes a bit of coordination to get transportation into the cities (or elsewhere). If it hadn't been for the people on the roll call, I would have been lost most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been solo on the Epic twice, and loved it! But those trips were Caribbean. I'm mulling over the Med now. I really would like to go!

I do agree with the others...make full use of your roll call and the Studio Lounge.

I doubt you'll be sorry you went.

:)

I'd be claustrophobic in those studios. I spend time in the cabin, don't just sleep there.

I am a little worried about that, as I'm used to hanging out on my balcony. But I really didn't want to pay $3,000 for a balcony. Plus this is a port intensive cruise with a lot of touring so I think it will be fine. I'll get a spa pass with the money I saved from the great deal on airfare I got. :D

Edited by gottacruisemore

I am a little worried about that, as I'm used to hanging out on my balcony. But I really didn't want to pay $3,000 for a balcony. Plus this is a port intensive cruise with a lot of touring so I think it will be fine. I'll get a spa pass with the money I saved from the great deal on airfare I got. :D

How fun that you have booked your cruise!!! A Med cruise is wonderful; you will have an amazing time.

I am also a balcony person but have cruised in a NCL Studio cabin twice; I had no problem with 'room' in the cabin and I have a bit of claustrophobia. The whole solo lounge and meets are fun; you can do as much or as little as you wish.

I have not seen on these CC boards (which does not mean that it isn't here) people who have been in a Studio cabin say they were claustrophobic; IMHO, it appears to be mostly speculation by some who have not had the experience.

Safe travels to you and come back and let us know how it was. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I cruised solo on MSC out of FL, and the next week went to Celebrity. As a solo, I preferred Celebrity. Since MSC does have a high % European passengers, I was often sat at a table where no one spoke English. And the buffet was extremely chaotic. Service was fine. Ship was fine. MSC entertainment was outstanding.

But as a SOLO, (and it wasn't my first time cruising solo) - I preferred Celebrity, and the dining - atmosphere & the food.

Thanks for the added feedback cruisercl, robinola, and crilski. That's what I love (and sometimes hate) about this forum, getting multiple opinions. I appreciate reading different perspectives and am a true believer in "different strokes for different folks." Also, you never know til you try, right?

I will definitely write a review when I get back. Hopefully it's good (the quality of the review, as I have no doubts about the trip).

Edited by gottacruisemore

I'm just back from my NCL Epic cruise in a studio cabin. There was actually a lot of storage in the cabin. I was on the ship for a week and everything was put away. I liked the studio lounge for the ice water, iced tea, cookies, hot tea and coffee. I didn't participate in the solo cruiser roll calls. I ate a lot of meals by myself and didn't feel awkward at all. But I do this on land too. No one asked me why I was eating by myself or gave me strange looks. The cabin was comfortable and I slept extremely well because it was so dark. Loved the light settings and the fact that the tv was so close to the bed.

All that said, I truly missed having a balcony cabin. On NCL Epic, Deck 7 was obstructed by the lifeboats for the majority of the deck. I had a thermal spa pass so I spent time out on the balcony there looking at the water. But otherwise I didn't have any fresh air with a view unless I was in the thermal spa or on deck 15. I missed that quiet time looking out at the water on the balcony. I know some people love inside cabins and I liked my studio cabin to a certain extent. But for the rest of the solo cruises I have booked, I'm biting the bullet and I booked balconies. Even on the RCL and Princess cruises I have booked as well as my next NCL. If I found a really good rock bottom deal for a studio/inside then of course I would book but it wouldn't be my first cabin choice.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done about 35 cruises, of which 30 have been solo.

My advice would be to ignore MSC. Did a transat with them about 15 years ago and was very disappointed in the poor service, food and daily activities. You get what you pay for.

Haven't ever tried NCL, so no advice there.

And my last Cunard was 30 years ago, so it would be pointless for me to comment on them.

Best of luck, and don't be worried or nervous about cruising solo. You will meet lots of nice people!

Marc

Thanks Marc.

I have done about 35 cruises, of which 30 have been solo.

My advice would be to ignore MSC. Did a transat with them about 15 years ago and was very disappointed in the poor service, food and daily activities. You get what you pay for.

Haven't ever tried NCL, so no advice there.

And my last Cunard was 30 years ago, so it would be pointless for me to comment on them.

Best of luck, and don't be worried or nervous about cruising solo. You will meet lots of nice people!

Marc

I have done a number of solo cruises over the years and I enjoyed them very much. Then the trend for open dining came and it was uncomfortable for me. I had always had an assigned table and I enjoyed being free as a bird all day, but then coming together with my table mates at night.

For those of you who have booked the NCL Studios, is it already arranged to dine with other solos or is this by request? Thanks.