Insuring World Cruise.

bananavan

We are booked for a 100 day World Cruise in 2018.

We live in Florida and when I read the small print at the bottom of the information sheet, one company stated that the insurance was for 60 day max for Florida residents.

I am certain that there are other Floridians on these boards who have taken World cruises and wondered with whom you might have insured.

We are booked with Cunard and the Cunard care only gives 50 K for medical evacuation. That might be good if you are in the Caribbean but if you have to return from China or Australia, it might not cover the cost.

Thank you in advance.

Have you considered an annual Med Jet Assist policy?

This is not a medical policy. It is for medically required transportation anywhere in the world to anywhere in the world you want to go for continued care.

About $350 for a family plan

This is not a medical policy. It is for medically required transportation anywhere in the world to anywhere in the world you want to go for continued care.

Are you kidding me? Medjetassist if fine for when you need to be evacuated from a hospital to some other place (like home). But Medjetassist does not pay ! Penny of medical expenses. So if you run-up a $500,000 medical bill in the hospital...not sure Medjetassist will do you much good :).

The OP is asking for Medical Insurance! And Medjetassist is merely transportation insurance. And even Medjetassist is not useful until you have been admitted to a local hospital, and the attending physician agrees that the patient is stable enough to be transported.

So the OP still needs to find a 100 day med policy..and this is possible (unless the OP is over 80). There are companies like GeoBlue that sell annual policies for "expats" that will work. But most annual travel med policies are capped at 60 or 70 days.

Another option is to use the policy sold by the cruise line...but these are often woefully inadequate and only cover $10,000 in med expenses.

Hank

Hank:

I appreciate the comments about the MedAssist.

The problem with the Cunard coverage is the very low amount that is covered for medical evacuation. That is capped at 50K.

The rest of the coverage is sort of adequate.;-)

My husband and I are in our mid sixties and have absolutely no health issues. I would never even take a one week cruise without any insurance.

Apparently Allianz has a new policy coming out in August.

I thought that perhaps there would be some on Cruise Critic who have had this experience and had suggestions.ie: taken a world cruise.

I thank you all for your help.

Are you kidding me? Medjetassist if fine for when you need to be evacuated from a hospital to some other place (like home). But Medjetassist does not pay ! Penny of medical expenses. So if you run-up a $500,000 medical bill in the hospital...not sure Medjetassist will do you much good :).

The OP is asking for Medical Insurance! And Medjetassist is merely transportation insurance.

Calm down Hank. :eek:

I understood the OP's concern of only $50K of evac coverage. I did not understand the OP to be concerned about medical coverage.

I clearly stated that Med jet assist was NOT medical insurance.

(mic drop)

Actually, I am asking about cruise insurance, the whole shebang. From needing to cancel after final payment because of covered reasons, to having my remains flown home in the event that I bungee jump from the Great Wall of China and the cord breaks. ;-)

We have good medical coverage through our Medicare and our supplemental insurance. We cover for all medical costs, no matter where.

The difficulty is in finding one that covers us for a trip of this length.

Thank you both for your help.

We live in Florida and when I read the small print at the bottom of the information sheet, one company stated that the insurance was for 60 day max for Florida residents.

I am certain that there are other Floridians on these boards who have taken World cruises and wondered with whom you might have insured.

We are booked with Cunard and the Cunard care only gives 50 K for medical evacuation. That might be good if you are in the Caribbean but if you have to return from China or Australia, it might not cover the cost.

Thank you in advance.

Suggest you use Insure My Trip, which if you put in the parameters will give you all the applicable policies.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Actually, I am asking about cruise insurance, the whole shebang. From needing to cancel after final payment because of covered reasons, to having my remains flown home in the event that I bungee jump from the Great Wall of China and the cord breaks. ;-)

We have good medical coverage through our Medicare and our supplemental insurance. We cover for all medical costs, no matter where.

The difficulty is in finding one that covers us for a trip of this length.

Thank you both for your help.

Strongly suggest you contact Steve at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(888-407-3854)

You'll find a lot of satisfied clients of his here on CruiseCritic.

Also, my understanding is that there are a few policies that he doesn't list on his website that could be useful in specific situations, so do be sure to ask him exactly what you need.

Enjoy your trip!

We get some kind of discount from AARP. Get it before age 70 --after that harder to qualify I think (find out in one more year but have had it for 10 years -- thankfully have not tried it out with personal use but reviews usually have very grateful and thankful folks)

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Calm down Hank. :eek:

I understood the OP's concern of only $50K of evac coverage. I did not understand the OP to be concerned about medical coverage.

I clearly stated that Med jet assist was NOT medical insurance.

(mic drop)

I too recommend MedJet Assist. There are many steps to cover when getting sick away from home. You need to consider all of them. 1. Get from place you get sick to place they can treat you for the moment. Can be ground or air lift depending on the luck of where you dropped. This is Medical Evacuation and part of some Travel Insurances. You need a whopping big number here as it is very pricey to get you to the hospital in your home town but from a remote location --helicopter or such :eek: 2. Hospital/Doctor/Ambulance costs. None are paid for by Medicare (US)/some medical policies only cover expenses from in-plan providers -- out of luck far away. We have Blue Cross/Blue Shield Federal Retired and it does cover expenses world wide but you might have to pay first and get the money back later -- depending on local requirements. 3. Need to get from best basic care to advanced care -- this is where MedJet Assist can help -- get you to your home doctors or to another hospital with the Drs. and care you need. Some places in the world it is not recommended to get sick there. Still you are paying for Dr./medicines/procedures etc. once you have gotten transferred. Ask do you know how to call a private jet with Dr/Nurse etc. to get you home? MedJet Assist does know and can arrange it. Medical care on your own dime takes lots and lots of dimes. It is a risk. We like to think we are healthy but all bodies break down occasionally and if it is the wrong place and time -- a bad situation gets much worse.

one insurer -- TravelsSafe -- will insure cruises up to 120 days in length and I don't believe there's any exception for Dlorida residents. However, I'm pretty sure they have a lower limit for trip length for those over 80.

You can contact them here:

Phone: 1-888-885-7233

Email: info@travelsafe.com

Thank you both.

We are both comfortably under age 80. We will still be in our 60s when we take this cruise.

That is why we are doing a World Cruise while we are still in great health.

I will check into both of these offerings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hlitner has pointed out many of the shortcomings of medjet assist. Reading the fine print, the problem areas become apparent.

A major one is that it does only hospital to hospital transfers. My travel nurse on our most event told us that patients travel from their hospital abroad to one of three places,; hospital, home and rehab.

Two of the three are not covered. My partner was transported home after a week in hospital and needed a travel nurse to administer oxygen on the flight. This would not be covered as he did not need hospital care at home.

I traveled from a clinic to a hospital by helicopter, a medjet from hospital one to hospital two.

Then I needed to go home. Given that I was a week out from two surgeries I could not have managed the 30 hours journey wAithout assistance. I had a travel nurse accompany me first class.

My ticket was $7000. Med jet would not have paid for my ticket home or a nurse as I was not going to rehab but home.