Curacao, travel to South America/Venezuela?

waldocruiser1

We are going to Curacao in October, being just 70 miles away, is it possible to take a tour or shuttle/ferry to Venezuela/South America?

I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Venezuela has very serious civil unrest. There is very little food available for the people and there is looting and demonstrations ongoing. It has been al over the news. There is a travel advisory as well. The country is in terrible shape and you may be in danger by visiting.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Venezuela has very serious civil unrest. There is very little food available for the people and there is looting and demonstrations ongoing. It has been al over the news. There is a travel advisory as well. The country is in terrible shape and you may be in danger by visiting.

Yea but when will we ever be that close again? Just checking if anyone has ever done that.

Yea but when will we ever be that close again? Just checking if anyone has ever done that.

We were supposed to stop in Venezuela on our first Princess cruise in 2002. Princess decided at the last minute to not call on the Venezuelan port due to civil unrest at that time. I don't think that many ( if any at all) ships stop there now. It is way too chaotic. Also, 70 miles is not very close if you have to travel by sea. It may take too long.

We were supposed to stop in Venezuela on our first Princess cruise in 2002. Princess decided at the last minute to not call on the Venezuelan port due to civil unrest at that time. I don't think that many ( if any at all) ships stop there now. It is way too chaotic. Also, 70 miles is not very close if you have to travel by sea. It may take too long.

I tried checking for flights also and they are not listed either, could not find any water taxi/ferry either.

Just thought would be interesting.

In addition to the previous posts, it is likely you would need passports and even possibly a visa.

Years ago, Isla Margarita was a regular stop for cruise ships. A lovely island with a population that was very diverse and loves tourists. Whatever political circumstances now exist in Venezuela, cruise ships no longer visit. :(

I tried checking for flights also and they are not listed either, could not find any water taxi/ferry either.

Just thought would be interesting.

Having been to Curacao many times for extended vacations, I have never seen a ferry schedule to go there. I agree with other people here - way too dangerous in Venezuela right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
We are going to Curacao in October, being just 70 miles away, is it possible to take a tour or shuttle/ferry to Venezuela/South America?

Back in 1977, our cruise went to Venezuela (about the only thing I remember is that I thought it was cool I was in South America and we were in a big city - I was in high school). I was talking to a friend about my long ago cruise going to Venezuela, and she told me her cruise stopped there and people got stuck behind the gates of the American Embassy due to the unrest and didn't make it back to the ship. That was the last time the cruise went there.