Any tendering problems in Kirkwall, Scotland?

We'll be stopping at Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, Scotland on June 2, 2008. We're planning to hire a private guide who requires payment upon hiring. We were wondering if there were ever problems using tenders at that port such that it would be difficult or impossible to get off the ship and the tour would have to be cancelled at the last minute.

I know that stuff happens, but I also know that some ports have more problems than others and am just wondering if this is one of them.

We had no problem tendering in Kirkwall, either. The waters seemed much calmer on the north side of England. The area is beautiful and there's a lot to see. If you have a chance for a private guide, go for it. Everyone was booked by the time we started looking into it.

We just returned from the Grand Princess and had no problems tendering in at Kirkwall, that being said you never know. I would imagine you can get some sort of guarantee from your guide to refund your money if the ship is unable to dock.

We were there in June 04 and unable to tender in. The ship just sat a couple hundred feet from shore the entire time we were listed to be there. It was cloudy and overcast and windy. The seas did not look bad at all, but then it's the captain's call.

Roseanna

We had no problem tendering in Kirkwall, either. The waters seemed much calmer on the north side of England. The area is beautiful and there's a lot to see. If you have a chance for a private guide, go for it. Everyone was booked by the time we started looking into it.

By the time you get to Kirkwall, you are a long way from England! Kirkwall is in bonnie Scotland.

We booked our privite guide for Kirkwall today even though the cruise until May 29,2008. We were anxious to get her booked early. AND she says she'll refund our money if we can't get ashore because of weather or the ship doesn't make the Kirkwall call for some reason. So I'm glad to hear that people haven't had problems because I don't want to miss this port, but I'm not worried about it anymore.

What ship are you on? We were in Kirkwall in May on the Celebrity Century and we docked...no tendering.

We're going to be on the Century on June 2, 2008. The website says it's a tendered port, but maybe we'll get lucky too. I guess it depends on whether or not they can get a berth that day.

What ship are you on? We were in Kirkwall in May on the Celebrity Century and we docked...no tendering.

We're going to be on the Century on June 2, 2008. The website says it's a tendered port, but maybe we'll get lucky too. I guess it depends on whether or not they can get a berth that day.

I was there last week, and had no problems. I was really concerned because on the jouney there we had really nasty weather, windy, rain, etc, and I just KNEW that we weren't going to be able to tender, but when we got there, everything cleared and it was beautiful. I don't recall seeing any piers for docking, unless it was someplace farther away. We also did the private tour, with Wildabout Orkney, who I highly recommend.

We were there in June 04 and unable to tender in. The ship just sat a couple hundred feet from shore the entire time we were listed to be there. It was cloudy and overcast and windy. The seas did not look bad at all, but then it's the captain's call.

Roseanna

We went to Guernsey a year or so back. That's a tender port too. The captain didn't get a tendering operation going, notwithstanding the fact that the sea was smooth looking, the ship was rock steady and the sun was glorious.

BUT when the pilot came over, we could see from the movement of his little boat that the sea was far from calm. It's just that sitting on the top of a liner of 70327 grt does make it seem very smooth.

Tendering in rough water is dangerous. We were in Honnigsvag last June and the tender operation was halted mid afternoon - soon after a deckie fell in to the water. In the Arctic Ocean that isn't funny. He was fine (QE2 has the second best hospital at sea, after QM2) but I could quite see the Captain's point, as we were on one of the last tenders back before the halting of operations.

Matthew

When in Kirkwall May '06 on the Century we docked but it was a mile or so out of town. The city (or Celebrity) provided a free shuttle service but DW and I walked it. We enjoyed the port since it was not as commercialized as most and the people seemed genuinely happy to have us there.

When in Kirkwall May '06 on the Century we docked but it was a mile or so out of town. The city (or Celebrity) provided a free shuttle service but DW and I walked it. We enjoyed the port since it was not as commercialized as most and the people seemed genuinely happy to have us there.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've heard from a few people that the Century has been docking in Kirkwall, in spite of the fact that it's listed as a tendered port on the itinerary. We've booked a private tour and the guide will pick us up at the dock if the ship docks or at the tender dock if it's tendered, so we're covered either way.

I'm also no longer worried that, if the ship is not docked, the tenders won't be usuable for some reason because we've been told that our tour money will be refunded if that happens. Not all tour guides do this, so if anyone reads this and is booking a tour, check with that company or guide.

I was there last week, and had no problems. I was really concerned because on the jouney there we had really nasty weather, windy, rain, etc, and I just KNEW that we weren't going to be able to tender, but when we got there, everything cleared and it was beautiful. I don't recall seeing any piers for docking, unless it was someplace farther away. We also did the private tour, with Wildabout Orkney, who I highly recommend.

Somebody else said that the dock is about a mile away from the town and there was a shuttle bus. So that's probably why you didn't notice anyplace to dock.

We went to Guernsey a year or so back. That's a tender port too. The captain didn't get a tendering operation going, notwithstanding the fact that the sea was smooth looking, the ship was rock steady and the sun was glorious.

BUT when the pilot came over, we could see from the movement of his little boat that the sea was far from calm. It's just that sitting on the top of a liner of 70327 grt does make it seem very smooth.

Tendering in rough water is dangerous. We were in Honnigsvag last June and the tender operation was halted mid afternoon - soon after a deckie fell in to the water. In the Arctic Ocean that isn't funny. He was fine (QE2 has the second best hospital at sea, after QM2) but I could quite see the Captain's point, as we were on one of the last tenders back before the halting of operations.

Matthew

We'll also be going to Guernsey on the same cruise as the stop at Kirkwall. That is also listed as a tendered port. I guess we can only keep our fingers crossed that there won't be bad weather. They have to do what's safe. I'm not sure I want to be on a tender in rough water. More than that, I'm not happy about getting on and off a tender if the boat is rocking.

I'm very familiar with the QE2 hospital. Been there, done that, as they say. I also paid a visit to the hospital on HAL's Westerdam and thought that was bigger and had more personnel than on the QE2. It wasn't my choice to become an expert on ships' hospitals.:rolleyes: On the QE2 I got very sick the last night of a crossing with what might have been the norovirus. Whatever it was, it caused me to spend three days in London in the hotel room. Not fun. On the Westerdam, they opened the bow of the ship for scenic cruising and I managed to trip over one of the stanchions at the rail. I was scooped up by one of the medical personnel and taken to the hospital although I just had a few scratches. The picture in my avatar was taken a few minutes before my fall.

We just returned from the Grand Princess and had no problems tendering in at Kirkwall, that being said you never know. I would imagine you can get some sort of guarantee from your guide to refund your money if the ship is unable to dock.

Rick,

Our guide says she will refund our money if we can't tender in or if the ship doesn't make that port for some reason. (Happened on our last cruise where we went to Malta instead of Majorca.) However, she also says that not all tour guides will do that, so people should check with whoever they are booking with.

• 2 months later...

Saw Kirkwall August 2005 and had no problem with the tender of the Golden Princess. I would have been heart broken if we had not been able to make it ashore as my great grandparents came from Kirkwall, were married in St. Magnus cathedral and lived as a young couple on Bridge Street just by the Kirkwall Hotel. Incidentally the hotel is just across the street from the tender dock. Bridge is a half street and I wandered it looking up at the aged buildings and wondering what flat that they actually lived in. It was sort of rainy that day but that was no problem for me. You do not need a guide for Kirkwall unless you are going to be driving about the island. Kirkwall is very small in itself. A guide would be a waste of money.

We were in Kirkwall in August of this year (07) with no troubles, except possibly dragging my DH back on board the ship. He fell in love with the Orkneys and I think would happily go back there for an extended stay. It was a beautiful place and we really enjoyed the sights and sounds there.

Charlie

drk: It might seem like a long time since our Scotland/Ireland cruise, but it was May 2007 not '06. ;) Or were you there both years?

We were on the Celebrity Century this past May and we docked despite the itinerary saying we would tender. My DH and I really enjoyed the Ring of Brogar and the Scara Brae houses. We were able to see the Stones of Stenness too, but just from the bus window. Next time we would like to rent bikes and cycle out to these sites so we can spend more time than Celebrity allowed.

Kindlychap: Thanks for the warning about Honninsvag. We will be there (hopefully) in July.

Kathy

Gail,

I just have to jump in and say we're on the same ship! We just booked this week. (DH & I and our three daughters 14, 15 & 20)

I really need to start researching the ports because we've never been to Europe.

Nice to "meet" you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hootsie,

Just found this message that you wrote in October. I haven't been very good about checking these boards. We've already met on the Roll Call and you've been talking to my husband too about Paris and beer. See you on the Roll Call and on the Century.

drk: It might seem like a long time since our Scotland/Ireland cruise, but it was May 2007 not '06. ;) Or were you there both years?

It does seen longer ago than that but yes it was '07. I'm only 55 but maybe this qualifies as a "senior moment"? Anyway I guess that we were lucky to dock based on what I've read here.

Kevin

Archived