Britannia Aft Suites & Cabins

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:40 PM.
Lincolnshire
29 Posts
Joined May 2014
Blimey Selbourne, just noticed both you and Cruisepuss have been on Britannia twice and you have booked again. I struggle to find a good word about Britannia and I'm on her on Sunday. Can't be all bad? Only reason I chose Britannia is for the dancing in the Cyrstal room, did you see any?
Thank you
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Hopefully Britannia 9 Oct 2016
Queen Victoria May 2016
Ventura 2014
Oriana 2006 & 2008
Oceana 2006
Stoke on Trent, England
4,652 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Selbourne
If I am disturbed by late night noise from smokers on the open deck, I shall simply up-end the contents of the ice bucket over them
That made me laugh out loud.

You sound like us - you just go and make the most of it. I hope that you have a fabulous cruise and as someone else has said, on this occasion, the ladies can't blame you if it goes wrong.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Stoke on Trent, England
4,652 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
[quote=yesididit;51240864]Blimey Selbourne, just noticed both you and Cruisepuss have been on Britannia twice and you have booked again. I struggle to find a good word about Britannia and I'm on her on Sunday. Can't be all bad? Only reason I chose Britannia is for the dancing in the Cyrstal room, did you see any?
Thank you[/QUOTEW]

We did and we loved her too. Enjoy and say hello for us
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Oxfordshire
519 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by yesididit
Blimey Selbourne, just noticed both you and Cruisepuss have been on Britannia twice and you have booked again. I struggle to find a good word about Britannia and I'm on her on Sunday. Can't be all bad? Only reason I chose Britannia is for the dancing in the Cyrstal room, did you see any?
Thank you
Hi,

In answer to your question, yes we did, on both occasions. The Crystal Room is a beautiful room.

My husband absolutely loves Britannia - she is now his favourite ship (it was Adonia). Britannia has a very modern interior to the other P&O ships, but not in a glizty way. Her atrium is beautiful and large, like the rest of her! We never felt there were 3,500 people on board, but both cruises had good weather so passengers were able to get outside. We felt she had plenty of sun loungers in lots of different areas - you just have to walk around a bit. The Retreat is worth the extra money to get in to as it is gorgeous. The Spa is also worth a visit. We love Sindhu and it is just as good as always; the Epicurean is a stunning room and the food extremely good - if you've been to Seventeen (as was) on Azura it's the same. I would also recommend trying the Beach House (part of the buffet restaurant in the evenings). You also need to try one of the cakes from the Market Cafe - they are divine! The Limelight Club is also worth doing - the room is, like most of them, stunning!

It obviously depends on your tastes as to whether you will like her or not, but I would go with an open mind and try everything.

Enjoy your cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises:- Seabourn Goddess II - Aug 2001 Aurora - Oct 2001 Oriana - Nov 2001 Hebridean Spirit - June 2002 Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2002 Seabourn Legend - July 2003 Seabourn Pride - Aug 2003 Adonia (Old one) - July 2004 Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2004 Aurora - Nov 2005 Aurora - Aug 2006 Arcadia - June 2007 QM2 - May 2008 Arcadia - June 2009 Arcadia - Nov 2009 Azura - April 2010 Azura - July 2011 Azura - Aug 2012 Arcadia - Oct 2012 Oceana - July 2013 Adonia - Aug 2013 Arcadia - June 2014 Adonia - Aug 2014 Arcadia - Dec 2014 Arcadia - July 2015 (2 cruises back to back) Britannia - Sept 2015 Aurora - Dec 2015 Oceana - March 2016 Britannia - July 2016
England
522 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by yesididit
Thank you
No ship is perfect, but we really like Britannia. Most negative comments relate to her size which is daft as you know it's big before booking!

There are some negatives such as the lack of a promenade deck, as we used to enjoy doing a lap at least once a day. The lack of stairs mid-ships puts pressure on those lifts. Unfortunately, we have no choice but to use them (wife is in a wheelchair) and able bodied people who could otherwise easily use stairs are forced to use them, causing long waits. The biggest (and rarely discussed issue) is that Britannia is regularly getting 'bumped' from ports in favour of smaller ships. At best this means you have the hassle of a tender when other ships are moored alongside. At worst, you lose the port altogether. On our last cruise, our calls at Flaam and Olden were lost to Cunard's Queen Elizabeth. When I contacted the port to find out why, they also told me that 6 visits by Britannia had been cancelled in a year. I would now be wary booking Britannia if the motivation was a specific port, as there's a good chance it could change. I should also say that food and service in the main resturants is mediocre (especially compared to the P&O of 10 years ago and more), but that is a problem in all P&O ships now as they are targeting mass market more as they have so many ships and cabins to sell now (I know that sounds snobby, but it's true)!

However, there are significant positives, notably the select dining restaurants (particularly The Epicurean which is 10/10 and Beach House where the food is fabulous), the fact that a Crows Nest has rightfully returned to pole position rather than a gym (how stupid is it to put a facility used by less than 5% of passengers in the prime spot), a great theatre (shame that the shows aren't as good as they used to be), the clean, modern, light and airy decor, the exemplary stability and the fact that it never feels overly crowded in spite of the numbers of passengers.

We also used the Limelight Club (Darren Day) on the last cruise. Thought I would hate it (wife wanted to do it) but the show was great and the meal was one of the best we had on board. The girls have done courses in the Cookery Club, which they enjoyed and the Eric Lanlard afternoon tea is pure indulgence. It really is a foodie heaven. Cabins are also very modern and nicely furnished, with huge TV's with great on demand films etc and you have a glass shower screen, so no battle with clingy curtains!!!

I'm sure you will love her. Have a great cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 120 nights over 10 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 2, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come – 57 nights over 4 cruises (2017 - Britannia, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
Lincolnshire
29 Posts
Joined May 2014
Thank you both for your encouraging replies, really appreciate your time doing so. Sounds good and looking forward to it now
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Hopefully Britannia 9 Oct 2016
Queen Victoria May 2016
Ventura 2014
Oriana 2006 & 2008
Oceana 2006
lancs
326 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Weve travelled three times now on the Britannia. The first two we had aft cabins c and e deck. We did experience the vibrations which are worse coming into port. In fact we didn't need to set the alarm as it was obvious with the vibrating effect. We had a GD level cabin which was compact but fine and the balcony was deeper than those on the sides of the ship ,plus the sun for long periods and the views were spectacular. The soot was a problem for us on C deck when they had to put their foot down leaving port late. This last time we had a forward suite which was lovely. However, the balcony was disappointing , narrow and windy. The large front window offered superb views of whales and dolphins especially docking in Madeira but on occasions we felt our privacy was invaded by the crew at the front who could see in. We had to close the blind when getting changed and the décor was very dark with the banks of wardrobes in the bedroom. Saying that we loved the experience of a suite, dining in the Epicurean in the mornings etc...
England
522 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by sapphire4
Weve travelled three times now on the Britannia. The first two we had aft cabins c and e deck. We did experience the vibrations which are worse coming into port. In fact we didn't need to set the alarm as it was obvious with the vibrating effect. We had a GD level cabin which was compact but fine and the balcony was deeper than those on the sides of the ship ,plus the sun for long periods and the views were spectacular. The soot was a problem for us on C deck when they had to put their foot down leaving port late. This last time we had a forward suite which was lovely. However, the balcony was disappointing , narrow and windy. The large front window offered superb views of whales and dolphins especially docking in Madeira but on occasions we felt our privacy was invaded by the crew at the front who could see in. We had to close the blind when getting changed and the décor was very dark with the banks of wardrobes in the bedroom. Saying that we loved the experience of a suite, dining in the Epicurean in the mornings etc...
You must have been on quite a low deck if you were overlooked by the crew deck. We could only see them by craning our neck and they were well below us. We slept with the blind open and never had a privacy issue. We've also never noticed a wind problem on the balcony. I think the front suites are one of Britannia's best kept secrets. Agree that breakfast in the Epicurean breakfast is very civilised and, in our view, the best benefit of having a suite (the Butler being the least valuable 'benefit').
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 120 nights over 10 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 2, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come – 57 nights over 4 cruises (2017 - Britannia, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora)

lancs
326 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Yes, we were on F deck so felt overlooked from the crew area at the front. We also experienced some awful knocking, clanging noises in the middle of the night plus the waves hitting the bow which led to a few sleepless nights. However, we didn't experience the juddering as we did on the aft. For us we didn't feel that we had value for money as regards the gratuities for the butler. He came in the morning to remove empty glasses, brought canapé's, the odd bottle of wine, booked us a speciality dining and a cheese board for supper. It was far too windy to eat out on the balcony. We felt that we could have sorted most of the things ourselves. Next time I think we would cancel him? However we loved the space in the suite and the views. The Jacuzzi bath was amazing and I spent many an hour in there with a glass of prosecco. Am checking the prices for next year already but they seem rather steep?
Oxfordshire
519 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
You must have been on quite a low deck if you were overlooked by the crew deck. We could only see them by craning our neck and they were well below us. We slept with the blind open and never had a privacy issue. We've also never noticed a wind problem on the balcony. I think the front suites are one of Britannia's best kept secrets. Agree that breakfast in the Epicurean breakfast is very civilised and, in our view, the best benefit of having a suite (the Butler being the least valuable 'benefit').
Hi again,

Interesting about being overlooked if you have a lower front Suite. A difficult decision between either being overlooked if you're too low,or having an over-shadowed balcony if you're too high. Decisions, decisions!

A shame you felt the Butler isn't worth it. We use one all the time. He unpacks, packs, brings a bit of breakfast (before we go up to the Epicurean of course!) lunch and dinner, brings drinks during the day, sorts out restaurants and excursions, and deals with any problems we may have. We would hate not to have him - you don't get one at home!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises:- Seabourn Goddess II - Aug 2001 Aurora - Oct 2001 Oriana - Nov 2001 Hebridean Spirit - June 2002 Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2002 Seabourn Legend - July 2003 Seabourn Pride - Aug 2003 Adonia (Old one) - July 2004 Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2004 Aurora - Nov 2005 Aurora - Aug 2006 Arcadia - June 2007 QM2 - May 2008 Arcadia - June 2009 Arcadia - Nov 2009 Azura - April 2010 Azura - July 2011 Azura - Aug 2012 Arcadia - Oct 2012 Oceana - July 2013 Adonia - Aug 2013 Arcadia - June 2014 Adonia - Aug 2014 Arcadia - Dec 2014 Arcadia - July 2015 (2 cruises back to back) Britannia - Sept 2015 Aurora - Dec 2015 Oceana - March 2016 Britannia - July 2016
hampshire england
1,275 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Hi Cruise Puss, I was interested in your comments about the butler unpacking for you. We have had a suite quite a few times and have always found the butler extremely good, doing all the things you mention. However, I've never asked them to unpack. How do you find it, I mean how do you know where everything is? I can understand about unpacking clothes - I always pack things on hangers so they can go straight into the wardrobe but how about all the little things - chargers, costume jewellery, underwear(some of mine not the most elegant!) cosmetics, etc. etc. I've always thought it would be too difficult for them to know where to put things but I must admit it would be good not to have to do it, particularly in the Caribbean after a long flight. I would be interested to know how you organise things.

One thing one of the butlers told us was that if passengers decline the services of the butler then they can't order breakfast/lunch or dinner from the main restaurant menu, they can only order from room service. So no cooked breakfast in the suite or on the balcony. None of the food service that the butler provides will be available. I'm not sure that's generally known. We've always found the butler an invaluable source of information and really eager to see that we have a great cruise.
Oxfordshire
519 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by annieuk
Hi Cruise Puss, I was interested in your comments about the butler unpacking for you. We have had a suite quite a few times and have always found the butler extremely good, doing all the things you mention. However, I've never asked them to unpack. How do you find it, I mean how do you know where everything is? I can understand about unpacking clothes - I always pack things on hangers so they can go straight into the wardrobe but how about all the little things - chargers, costume jewellery, underwear(some of mine not the most elegant!) cosmetics, etc. etc. I've always thought it would be too difficult for them to know where to put things but I must admit it would be good not to have to do it, particularly in the Caribbean after a long flight. I would be interested to know how you organise things.

One thing one of the butlers told us was that if passengers decline the services of the butler then they can't order breakfast/lunch or dinner from the main restaurant menu, they can only order from room service. So no cooked breakfast in the suite or on the balcony. None of the food service that the butler provides will be available. I'm not sure that's generally known. We've always found the butler an invaluable source of information and really eager to see that we have a great cruise.
Hi annieuk!

Re unpacking - I have to be honest, we unpack the 'things' ourselves, as well as shoes. I put a lot of my stuff, like jewellery, make-up and skincare stuff, in to separate bags and put them in an easy to get at place so we can easily retrieve them from the suitcases. I leave a note on top of the case/s letting the Butler know what to do (if I think it's necessary to do so) like not unpacking the zipped compartments in the cases, etc. etc.

Like you, I tend to keep some of the clothes on hangers, like my dresses, so they are easy to hang. We had a Butler on Oceana in March who hung everything in categories - daywear and eveningwear - he was exceptionally good!

We did have one funny episode a few years back when my husband couldn't find his underpants on the first morning. After about 15 mins of searching he eventually found them in a drawer under the TV with the Playstation!! Very amusing, but ever since then we have unpacked our own undies!

We do have a list of things that we ask the Butler to do when we first get on board, and once, when my husband left it on the side while we popped out, the Butler came in, read it, and had done everything on the list before we returned!! Amazingly good service.

We love having a Butler, but not everyone wants to use one at first. Our last Butler (July on Britannia) said that they are quite often quiet at the beginning of cruises, but get really busy as the cruise goes on as passengers start to get used to having them. They do have to deal with more cabins than they used to years ago. They used to have just 4 cabins to look after, now they can have up to 10(!) which is far too many.

Very interesting what you say about not being able to have the meals from the Restaurant menus if you decline the Butler - we didn't know that. Not something we would ever suffer from.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

England
522 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Cruise Puss
Hi again,

Interesting about being overlooked if you have a lower front Suite. A difficult decision between either being overlooked if you're too low,or having an over-shadowed balcony if you're too high. Decisions, decisions!

A shame you felt the Butler isn't worth it. We use one all the time. He unpacks, packs, brings a bit of breakfast (before we go up to the Epicurean of course!) lunch and dinner, brings drinks during the day, sorts out restaurants and excursions, and deals with any problems we may have. We would hate not to have him - you don't get one at home!
We have found the Butlers to be a huge disappointment, but have only experienced them on Britannia. The first time (2015) the Butler didn't even show until the end of day 2 (he claimed he kept missing us - not convinced he tried very hard). He made a huge thing about breakfast in the Epicurean, which we do love, but was clearly code for 'so you won't need me to get any breakfast for you'. In fact, not one of the Butlers has ever offered in suite dining for any meals whatsoever. He seemed to be unable (unwilling) to do anything we asked and gave us a long lecture on how overworked he was. We complained and got him changed.

The other 2 butlers we have had were more pleasant, but other than delivering appalling canapés and (most times) the next days menus, they have been pretty pointless.

I get the distinct impression that if you have had butlers for years (when they had 4 suites each) then they sense it and you get the Rolls Royce service you describe so that you won't question / complain. Conversely, if they sense you haven't been used to that level of attention then they don't offer it. I left the last Butler £20 gratuity last time, which I felt was about four times what he'd earned!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oxfordshire
519 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Hi Selbourne,

That is a terrible shame, and certainly not what you should expect from a Butler. You have, after all, paid for him by having a Suite and he should perform as Butlers across the World do.

You may well be correct in saying that they know if you have had Suites before. We have certainly got the impression that they know us. I would imagine that the Butlers do get together and discuss their passengers, it's only human nature, and, therefore, get to know repeat passengers.

I hope you're next one is better!

PS. The 'bad' one you had wasn't called Anoop by any chance? We had him last July for the 1st half of a back to back on Arcadia and he was the worst we had ever had and certainly complained about being overworked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

England
522 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Cruise Puss
Hi Selbourne,

That is a terrible shame, and certainly not what you should expect from a Butler. You have, after all, paid for him by having a Suite and he should perform as Butlers across the World do.

You may well be correct in saying that they know if you have had Suites before. We have certainly got the impression that they know us. I would imagine that the Butlers do get together and discuss their passengers, it's only human nature, and, therefore, get to know repeat passengers.

I hope you're next one is better!

PS. The 'bad' one you had wasn't called Anoop by any chance? We had him last July for the 1st half of a back to back on Arcadia and he was the worst we had ever had and certainly complained about being overworked.
No it wasn't him, so there are clearly a number of bad ones! The others we have had were perfectly pleasant, but every time we asked for anything it seemed to be too much difficulty. For example, when asking about meals we were were directed to room service or enquiring about select dining told which number to phone. We were frankly left with the impression that they are fundamentally lazy and we just stopped asking for anything. Cabin stewards, in comparison, work like slaves and probably get paid far less. In contrast to the £20 gratuity we left for the butler on our last 7 day cruise, we left £120 for the steward, who had earned every penny. Perhaps we fell for the hard luck story - she said she has worked so hard since joining Britannia she has lost 2 stone in weight (and she was small) and that the 'management' on Britannia were very unpleasant to work for compared to other P&O ships she had worked on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oxfordshire
519 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
No it wasn't him, so there are clearly a number of bad ones! The others we have had were perfectly pleasant, but every time we asked for anything it seemed to be too much difficulty. For example, when asking about meals we were were directed to room service or enquiring about select dining told which number to phone. We were frankly left with the impression that they are fundamentally lazy and we just stopped asking for anything. Cabin stewards, in comparison, work like slaves and probably get paid far less. In contrast to the £20 gratuity we left for the butler on our last 7 day cruise, we left £120 for the steward, who had earned every penny. Perhaps we fell for the hard luck story - she said she has worked so hard since joining Britannia she has lost 2 stone in weight (and she was small) and that the 'management' on Britannia were very unpleasant to work for compared to other P&O ships she had worked on.

That really is appalling and certainly not what a Butler should be doing.

The room stewards do indeed work hard and deserve every penny they earn (or get tipped!).

Good Luck with the next Butler!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

130 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
we had our worst butler last janurary on britannia aswell selbourne this was not the first time we had a suite nor the last we are booked next jan 17 (B726) this time it will be diffrent i want breakfast on the balcony by him not room service like he wanted us to have
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
hampshire england
1,275 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
We have never had poor service from a Butler, what a shame. It does sound as though they have far too many suites to cover. We usually mention that we have been in a suite before and mention which Butlers we have had - not really to say - look we have had a suite before and we know what you should be offering - but just in the general conversation. I would be most disappointed if we were directed to room service for any food requirements. The first thing that a Butler usually says is that he is there to cover all our food and drink requirements. I must admit the canapes can be less than wonderful. We have been on Fred Olsen a couple of times and their canapes are incredible - not that I'm really moaning, there are times when they are really good. I often lose out as I don't eat cheese and many of the canapes are cheese based. We did have one Butler who on hearing this made sure the canapes we got never had any cheese in them.

I would say we have only ever had one Butler who was not as good as the others and that was the first time we had a suite about 8 years ago so maybe it does make a difference if you are new to the experience.
lancs
326 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
He was pleasant enough and asked if there was anything he could do for us but we got the impression that he was perhaps busy running around after other passengers or perhaps lazy? He did say he was new to the butler job. We did see other people on the back suites having breakfast on their balconies but we liked the Epicurean. We did deliberate if we should have removed his gratuities but we left them as usual. However, we have brought to the attention of P and O that the role of the butler needs outling and explaining to suite passengers especially those new to a suite.
Solihull
1,851 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Sadly no. We got the last aft corner suite that was available for that cruise and only realised afterwards (from a photo) that the smoking area was below it, as the deck plans don't show that it extends that far (which is naughty if that sort of thing matters, which it does to us).

Hi Selbourne, please can you let me know how you get on with the aft-wrap on Britannia? I have just booked E742 which is port side so I'm wondering about the smoke issue. Our friends had one of the G deck aft wraps earlier this year and were very pleased with it and said there was no disturbance from the live lounge after 11.30pm (ish). I had a choice of most decks apart from B which have been sold (I'm guessing those balconies are the reason!). If you are interested there is s video of the G deck suite on You Tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums