Britannia Aft Suites & Cabins

Selbourne

Why is it that it seems that Britannia is the ship affected by soot? We've had aft suites on Oceana, Azura, Ventura and Adonia and never had a problem with soot. Is it something to do with the design of Britannia?

Why is it that it seems that Britannia is the ship affected by soot? We've had aft suites on Oceana, Azura, Ventura and Adonia and never had a problem with soot. Is it something to do with the design of Britannia?

Apparently all of her sister ships have the same problem. We've been on Celebrity Silhouette and she had a similar (but not so bad) problem so am guessing that the Solstice Class ships have an issue at times too. I think those open balconies at the back don't help, but I'm sure that someone will be able to give a more technical answer.

I have been speaking to P&O about this having booked an aft cabin recently. Once we got over the usual customer services stock phrases about "recent problem" and "dedicated maintenance teams monitoring" I was assured that if it happened to us then the area would immediately be cleaned and any affected clothing would be cleaned free of charge and replaced at their cost if stains were not removed. I think the key to deal with this on ship, not afterwards although I guess surely no one wants to spend their cruise constantly moaning (do they?). It does seem strange that it only seems to be this ship and they can't fix it but if they are stuck with it I don't see there is very much more that they can do.

As I said in an earlier post we had a lovely holiday and as it was only a fairly short one we just worked around it, I for one certainly didn't want to waste any holiday time standing at reception. Thats why I suggested that people deal with it in advance, get something sorted in advance so that precious holiday time is not wasted.

I think there may be something they could do about it, the paragraph below is an extract from a P&O press release in response to a recent Dispatches programme.

"They said the Oceana will be fitted with an: “Exhaust Gas Cleaning Systems…” Which are: “installed on 60 ships across its brands… This action significantly improves the quality of air emissions… Soot and particulate matter reductions in excess of 80% have been achieved.”

I wonder if Brittannia already has this fitted?

I also think that they should let people know that this can be an intermittent issue with a number of aft cabins in the brochures so that people have a choice. They let you know if a cabin is shaded by an overhang or has an obstructed view so why not the ones that they are now very well aware can be affected by soot?

As I said in an earlier post we had a lovely holiday and as it was only a fairly short one we just worked around it, I for one certainly didn't want to waste any holiday time standing at reception. Thats why I suggested that people deal with it in advance, get something sorted in advance so that precious holiday time is not wasted.

I think there may be something they could do about it, the paragraph below is an extract from a P&O press release in response to a recent Dispatches programme.

"They said the Oceana will be fitted with an: “Exhaust Gas Cleaning Systems…” Which are: “installed on 60 ships across its brands… This action significantly improves the quality of air emissions… Soot and particulate matter reductions in excess of 80% have been achieved.”

I wonder if Brittannia already has this fitted?

I also think that they should let people know that this can be an intermittent issue with a number of aft cabins in the brochures so that people have a choice. They let you know if a cabin is shaded by an overhang or has an obstructed view so why not the ones that they are now very well aware can be affected by soot?

Britannia would have had this fitted already. It's virtually unknown for a new build ship to not have it these days. I've just had a look on the Princess forum and there are reports of Majestic Princess having the soot issue.

• 5 years later...

Just returned from the Caribbean cabin F727. I had not seen these posts but all true the noise from the Live lounge up until 2am is unbearable. We suffered for too long before being moved.

DO NOT BOOK F727 or any aft cabins below D deck.

Music around the ship including some shows tended to be very loud, too loud.

25 minutes ago, mudlark said:

Just returned from the Caribbean cabin F727. I had not seen these posts but all true the noise from the Live lounge up until 2am is unbearable. We suffered for too long before being moved.

DO NOT BOOK F727 or any aft cabins below D deck.

Music around the ship including some shows tended to be very loud, too loud.

Strange, we had F731 on the TA this year and never heard a thing from the Live Lounge and we were always tucked up in bed before it closed