USB on TV for playing movies on Majestic Princess.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:35 PM.
#21
Omaha, NE
56 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by floridalover5623
There may be other brands in the PAX rooms but I know for sure they have Viewsonic Model VT4236LED and Samsung. The Viewsonic HDMI input is much easier to disconnect & reuse for your input cable.
That's it! Viewsonic and Samsung are the two brands I know of on Royal.
#22
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,099 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Roberto256
That's it! Viewsonic and Samsung are the two brands I know of on Royal.
We usually get stuck with the Samsung which makes it much harder to unplug their input.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
#23
NY
292 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
You can change input only with another remote. I used to bring my phone that has infrared blaster, and use my phone to flip inputs.

Last time I was on Royal, while movie selection was good, the video quality was horrendous. I disconnected their VOD box and plugged my laptop into same HDMI port. Worked really well. It is a gigantic PITA on Royal, however, because TV is very close to the wall, and grabbing HDMI cable was pretty difficult. I may bring a Miracast dongle next time.

If you are so intent on using USB to play movies, may I suggest something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NO9RRM/

It supports a ton of video formats, and will play whatever is on USB through HDMI port.

Edit: Keep in mind, videos come in eleventy gazillion different codecs. Just because you dump a file on your USB drive, does not mean TV will be able to read it. Most TVs will be able to read few standard codecs out of the box, but will fail on most. So unless you convert all your media into something common, like mpeg2, good chance that TV will puke up some weird error and quit. This is why those little $40 boxes are useful. They are built with tons of codecs already in them and will play just about anything you throw at it.
#24
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,099 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Meanee
You can change input only with another remote. I used to bring my phone that has infrared blaster, and use my phone to flip inputs.

Last time I was on Royal, while movie selection was good, the video quality was horrendous. I disconnected their VOD box and plugged my laptop into same HDMI port. Worked really well. It is a gigantic PITA on Royal, however, because TV is very close to the wall, and grabbing HDMI cable was pretty difficult. I may bring a Miracast dongle next time.

If you are so intent on using USB to play movies, may I suggest something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NO9RRM/

It supports a ton of video formats, and will play whatever is on USB through HDMI port.

Edit: Keep in mind, videos come in eleventy gazillion different codecs. Just because you dump a file on your USB drive, does not mean TV will be able to read it. Most TVs will be able to read few standard codecs out of the box, but will fail on most. So unless you convert all your media into something common, like mpeg2, good chance that TV will puke up some weird error and quit. This is why those little $40 boxes are useful. They are built with tons of codecs already in them and will play just about anything you throw at it.
Did you succeed in changing the HDMI input? I didn't for some reason.
I have a WD-TV unit which is similar to the Micca. I bought it about 5 years ago when the price was around the same as the Micca now. I originally purchased a Sony unit but the Sony doesn't play all types of files so I returned it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
#25
NY
292 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Did you succeed in changing the HDMI input? I didn't for some reason.
I have a WD-TV unit which is similar to the Micca. I bought it about 5 years ago when the price was around the same as the Micca now. I originally purchased a Sony unit but the Sony doesn't play all types of files so I returned it.
I didn't try, to be honest. Used my phone as a convenience, when I was too lazy to reach for remote. I did use original HDMI port for my playback.

WD-TV 2nd gen is a great unit, since it can play a ton more formats. 1st gen, for example, cannot play MKV files, which is what my media center automatically downloads.
#26
Palmdale, Ca
33,162 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by pablo222
Many phones (particularly samsung phones) have IR emitters and can use a TV Remote app, and
function as a tv remote.

On Royal, the TV firmware is fixed, so the only thing you can adjust is volume.
If you wish other content, your only choice is to unplug the princess hdmi cable, and plug in your own.
Thanks for the info.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread