using plastic bottles vs. glass to take liquor onboard

can anyone suggest liquor brands that come in plastic? if i'm reading the boards correctly, it appears that the scanners are less able to detect plastic, but if i decant and poor into plastic and am "found out", i'll lost my liquor.....but if they are sealed in plastic containers (i know some whiskey can be purchased in plastic instead of glass but not sure of others....), wouldn't one at least be able to pick up their liquor after the cruise?

is there a time when they confiscate sealed liquor and DO NOT return it to you?

just trying to minimize my risk here (all the while, being naughty and breaing the rules).

As long as it's in the original container, they'll return it to you on the last night.

Go to a liquor store and look around! There are lots of things that come in plastic bottles....however, some of the screw on tops are still metal or hard plastic.

Good luck!

can anyone suggest liquor brands that come in plastic? if i'm reading the boards correctly, it appears that the scanners are less able to detect plastic, but if i decant and poor into plastic and am "found out", i'll lost my liquor.....but if they are sealed in plastic containers (i know some whiskey can be purchased in plastic instead of glass but not sure of others....), wouldn't one at least be able to pick up their liquor after the cruise?

is there a time when they confiscate sealed liquor and DO NOT return it to you?

just trying to minimize my risk here (all the while, being naughty and breaing the rules).

Use water bottles for clear & ice tea for yellowish. Just make sure you re-seal with crazy glue. Did it on Celebrity years ago w/o any probs.

• 1 month later...
Use water bottles for clear & ice tea for yellowish. Just make sure you re-seal with crazy glue. Did it on Celebrity years ago w/o any probs.

crazy glue :confused:. how did you get it open and did it taste funny when you drank out of the container??

I thought Carnival returned confiscated liquor, as long as it was sealed, and in original container.

There's a good Margarita Mix called Coyote Gold. Friends always bring that on white-water raft trips.

Carnival does return confiscated original bottles. The only thing about it is that anything you purchase is delivered to your cabin the night before and anything confiscated you have to claim the morning of disembark. Kind of a penalty for being naughty.

If you are going on Carnival why not just order booze from Bon Voyage. I know it is pricey but at least you will not go through if it gets confiscated or not. Then you can use the soda/water allotment for your mixers.

My last cruise was on Carnival Glory out of Port Canaveral in September of 2008. Bringing alcohol on board was a breeze for me. Here's what I did:

In a small carry-on size suitcase that I checked, I packed a large brown paper bag with 2 six-packs of beer in the bottom of the bag and a six-pack of Cokes on top. I then wrapped the bag in bubble wrap. I also packed 3 1.5L bottles of wine wrapped in bubble wrap, I believe in the same suitcase. We locked all of our luggage, too.

My boyfriend took a 1.5L bottle of whiskey poured into four Arizona Green Tea plastic bottles (they're brown). The 4th bottle was only 1/2 full though.

At the time (not sure if anything has changed), Carnival allowed you to bring as much non-alcoholic beverages as you please (soda, water, etc.) and allowed 1 bottle of wine per guest per stateroom (we had 2 in our room).

My theory was that if they asked to see what we packed, I could pull out the Cokes and hopefully they would believe that that's all it was (as long as they didn't want to see all 3, I would be in the clear). For the wine I could say that 1 bottle was for my parents as they were traveling with us.

In the end, we never got caught and our room steward was a dream. He made sure we had extra ice and glasses each day. :)

Good luck, everyone!

We use the rumrummers, they are worth it. never found. We have also thought about using the Cup o Joe bladder from Dunkin Donuts. we have one but it is siilver and HUGE so I am not sure if it will make it thru and there is no way we could drink enough if we filled it up.

We also hide our stuff in my daughters medical supplies. If you have luggage for just shoes and toiletries that works great also. They stand out in an all clothes suitcase.

• 3 years later...

I have used glass and plastic bottles successfully. The last Carnival cruise we went on, they confiscated my rum in a plastic bottle, but left the Baileys in the small bottles (Same Suitcase). They did give me back the rum on the last day of the cruise and did not spank me (Dang it!)

JB