RC royally screwed up my reservation!

jules815

I hope my first time sailing in a GS will be a grand experience!

I called RC from work yesterday to upgrade from an E2 to a GS on Brilliance of the Seas.

I'm a pet sitter, so my office is my car. Before I left for work I made sure I had everything I needed to call RC for the upgrade. Made the call and gave her my debit card number to take care of the balance. The cruise was already paid in full, so the balance would have been the difference for the upgrade. I also had a $288 obc on the first reservation.

Got home from work last night and opened my email from RC with my new guest invoice. No bogoho, no C&A discount, and they failed to apply the balance from the first cruise. I immediately called RC, but just as I was explaining, I had an emergency call from the assisted living about my inlaws, and had to immediately run over there. (my mil may have shingles. :( )

Back on the phone with RC bright and early this morning, and the person I spoke to said she can see that they were working on my reservation last night, but the price is correct, the discounts were reflected in the cruise fares they charged me. NO, they weren't.

She put me on hold for a long time while she spoke with resolutions, and came back with correct numbers, and my obc.

What concerns me though, and I told her this, is I know I gave the RC agent a debit card number yesterday, and they have no record of that. I checked my bank account online this morning and nothing was charged, but still a bit concerned that I gave her that info.

Also, just logged on to the RC website to check my balance, and it's still showing the balance before discounts, and before the credit for the original cruise. :eek:

What a mess. At least I have an updated reservation confirmation email.

Good example of why not to use a debit card.

THAT'S what you got from all that??? The debit card didn't have anything to do with the screw up. AND, there hasn't been a charge to the card and it appears that everything has been worked out.

And I'm not sure why people are so against debit cards. I've never had a problem using mine. Even when I was a fraud victim. I was immediately refunded my money by the bank. Guess it depends on whether you bank with a large bank or a small one? :confused:

Good example of why not to use a debit card.

Yep! Won't be doing that again.

And, just logged on again to check my balance on the RC website. Balance on the website has been updated, but it's still different (higher) than the email confirmation I was sent this morning. I have two different balance due amounts. Now I have to call RC again.

Oy!

THAT'S what you got from all that??? The debit card didn't have anything to do with the screw up. AND, there hasn't been a charge to the card and it appears that everything has been worked out.

And I'm not sure why people are so against debit cards. I've never had a problem using mine. Even when I was a fraud victim. I was immediately refunded my money by the bank. Guess it depends on whether you bank with a large bank or a small one? :confused:

I agree with you. The payment method had nothing to do with the screw up. I use my debit card for practically everything, too.

We do use a credit card when we travel though, for onboard expenses and other expenses related to our trip (hotel, rental car) so it seems to make sense to have a card with travel benefits. (Which is why I asked in another post about RC Visa.)

Tamara, I couldn't agree with you more. I work for a major U.S. financial institution, and I use my debit card whenever I want for whatever I want. It's incumbent on the user to watch their account activity closely (several times daily for me), and IMMEDIATELY report any irregularities. Reputable banks provide "0" liability and guarantee reimbursement credit when unauthorized transactions are promptly reported, same as credit cards.

Certainly no offense intended to those who prefer using their credit card...by all means, do so. Debit cards, however, are also a useful form of payment for vacation-related purchases for those whose preference is to use them. To each his own, right?

Or, use a credit card and not worry about having to monitor it multiple times a day, which is difficult if you are somewhere where Internet access is limited or expensive such as on a cruise or in another country, or working, or at the gym, etc.

Yes banks provide 0 liability and will eventually reimburse you, but I'd rather let credit card companies foot the bill until I find time to check my statement. No worry about contacting payees whose checks bounced due to a overdraft, spending time in the phone trying to get those same payees to refund their bounced check charges, etc.

But as you said, the each their own. Personally, I'd rather have an old fashioned atm card as that is all I ever use my debit card for. If my bank gave good perks I'd use their credit card, but they don't.

Tamara, I couldn't agree with you more. I work for a major U.S. financial institution, and I use my debit card whenever I want for whatever I want. It's incumbent on the user to watch their account activity closely (several times daily for me), and IMMEDIATELY report any irregularities. Reputable banks provide "0" liability and guarantee reimbursement credit when unauthorized transactions are promptly reported, same as credit cards.

Certainly no offense intended to those who prefer using their credit card...by all means, do so. Debit cards, however, are also a useful form of payment for vacation-related purchases for those whose preference is to use them. To each his own, right?

Why would I check my debit card "several times a day" when I can use my credit card and not have to check several times a day?????:)

I would never use a debit card either but the same thing happened with my credit card a couple of years ago...only they charged the card. The Royal agent took the reservation over the phone but never applied my payment to the reservation number. I got an email saying I needed to make a deposit, so I called and made another payment because I didn't want to lose that cabin I picked. It was a suite so they lost a $500 payment. When they finally figured it out, they called me and I told them to just apply to the cruise. So now I had a $1000 deposit right? I checked my CC and they had charged an additional $500. Now I had $1500 in CC charges from RCI and only $1000 on the cruise. Back on the phone and got "Sorry, sorry, sorry." I told them to please refund me $500. They said OK then proceeded to charge my CC again for another $500. :eek: It's pretty bad when three Resolutions agents all tell how ridiculous it is that this is happening. Finally I sent an email to Adam Goldstein and the problem was corrected by Cynthia Lembo from his office. Thankfully the cruise was a fantastic.

There are good places not to use Debit Cards, but the person you quoted was just trying to show some knowledge, but obviously a misplaced attempt to show their knowledge as you are correct, there was no wrong charge to it.

It's also hard to use a credit card if you don't have one. :( I would prefer not to use my debit card to pay for 'big ticket' items, but we don't have a credit card so I'm stuck using my debit card. I actually still use travelers checks when we travel (I know...so old school!:eek:) and put them on my seapass account. If I go over my cash allowance, I will use my debit card once for the charges, but that's it. I carry cash for charges in port, because I don't want to use my debt card in another country...it just makes me uneasy. Everyone does what works for them, I suppose! :)

I'm sorry your MIL may have shingles. It's a sucky infection!

I hope RCI works everything out to your satisfaction soon.

I also use my debit card for everything, never use a credit card. Never had a problem.

Thanks. Unfortunately, she does indeed have shingles. They've isolated her at assisted living (not allowed to go to the dining room or events), and started her on a strong anti-viral medication to hopefully keep it from getting too bad.

Why would I check my debit card "several times a day" when I can use my credit card and not have to check several times a day?????:)

Reading is fundamental. :rolleyes: What I said specifically was, "It's incumbent on the user to watch their account activity closely." I stated that "I" like to check mine several time daily; there was no suggestion that YOU or anyone else should do the same. I'm in the banking industry, and that's something that I choose to do. Once again, to each his own.