Scooter or Wheelchair?

mexico8

I would like to ask an additional question that fits in this thread. I used a manual wheelchair on our recent Solstice cruise and found the process of being wheeled off down the often steep ramps very scary. How does that work with a scooter? I can't visualise being flanked by staff as I was in the manual one, yet I believe scooters don't have brakes? I am a large lady so will be purchasing quite a large scooter.

Any thoughts would be great fully accepted.

Jennie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I was going off the ship, one of the workers just held on to the back of my scooter to slow it down when going down the ramp. Getting back on, they would just push from behind to help get up the ramp.

Wendy, agree that Travelscoot looks wonderful. To me, looks hard to get on and seat does not look too comfy for say staying on to see a show. And the ride on it? I guess all have some great pluses and minuses. Let us know. Vicki

If you are looking for a foldable scooter, look at the Tzora. I bought one about 6 months ago and really like it.

My DH just bought a Tzora Lexis Ultra Light which we will use on a baltic cruise in July. He is wondering if he should also take a rollator, but I don't see the point as he can't walk long distances even with the rollator. Advice please?:confused:

I take a "travel" walker not a rollator as well as two canes and my travelscoot when we cruise. I use the walker solely in the cabin. With the ship's motion I find it safer to use the walker especially in the bathroom. Around the ship and on excursions I combine the scoot with the canes. The scoot has cane/crutch holders so I scoot to where I am going and then use the canes to transfer to a seat, say in the dining room, when I arrive at my destination. My walker completely folds flat and goes in a suitcase. My rollator, which I use at home, is not that compact.

Another vote for the TravelScoot. I don't use the seat back at all, which makes getting on and off much easier. And I transfer to a chair for shows or meals or anywhere I'll be sitting for more than a few minutes.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to tell DH to leave the rollator at home. He can use his cane for short distances. We will be in a DP mini suite on the Emerald Princess. The cabins are small enough that with his cane in one hand there is always something to grip with the other hand. :)

:mad:Just got an e-mail from my TA and he says that there is an accessible cabin for the second half of our cruise (12 days) but in order to get it I have to pay an extra $440 (it is a different category than the one I booked). It is still oceanview but a higher category. I wonder if Celebrity would consider waiving the extra charge if I called them and explained my situation?

I saw an ad for a used GoGo Elite traveller plus Hd scooter for only $900. near where I live. That does seem like a bargain and I would probably pay nearly that much to rent a scooter a few times. It does weigh about 85 pounds and the battery is another 25 pounds if I remember correctly. I wonder if that's too heavy to travel with. I am not a small person so I thought it might be a good size for me.

Got good news today. For the second half of the cruise which is 11 days I got an accessible cabin. I am waitlisted for an accessible cabin for the first cruise that is 13 days. We have a balcony cabin and hopefully will find a place to park the scooter. It does fold up so it should be okay.

A TravelScoot does not have a key' date=' you remove the battery!! :rolleyes:

Cato :)[/quote']

DH bought a Tzora Lexus Light. He thought the travel scoot didn't look comfortable for him. It has a key

BTW, when traveling with a scooter, do you leave the key in the scooter when you leave the scooter at the door to the plane?

We never leave the key with the scooter! That is the best way for it to get lost.

Prepare your scooter by:

Take anything with you that could become separated. That being said, we try to take the battery or the extra battery. Some airlines will let us take it with us on-board but many will not. Put in gear. They will have to lift the scooter but that is better than it rolling around in the cargo hold.

We place the bottom basket (tsora scooter) in the backpack and pray that it will come back with the scooter.

TAKE THE KEY!!!

DH bought a Tzora Lexus Light. He thought the travel scoot didn't look comfortable for him. It has a key

My husband has been using the Tzora light for about a year now. It has proved to be the best investment we have made. This is the second scooter that we have owned. The first was the PRIDE GO GO and that was too difficult to take apart and lift when we needed to travel and get into the trunk of the car.

The Tzora folds and is much lighter so that many times they will lift it onto the tenders. We have traveled thru Asia with it last year and done many cruises with it in various parts of the world.

It is also very comfortable, with a very comfortable seat and arm rests.

Thanks Helen. What did you mean by "put in Gear"? Pack the batteries? Or do something to the tzora?

Yoletta

What I meant was to be sure the hand control lever is in the middle position. That means that the brake will be applied automatically.

The battery pack comes off and we take it off when we lift the scooter in and out of our car trunk. It makes it lighter. When I said pack the battery, I meant that we TRY to take the battery on the plane with us,(we always travel with 2 battery packs) but many times we are not allowed to do this. Some people put the battery pack into a carrying bag (of some kind) and take it on board with them.

We do not try to fold the scooter. The gate attendants will carry the scooter down and put it in the luggage hole.

I hope this helps

What I meant was to be sure the hand control lever is in the middle position. That means that the brake will be applied automatically.

The battery pack comes off and we take it off when we lift the scooter in and out of our car trunk. It makes it lighter. When I said pack the battery, I meant that we TRY to take the battery on the plane with us,(we always travel with 2 battery packs) but many times we are not allowed to do this. Some people put the battery pack into a carrying bag (of some kind) and take it on board with them.

We do not try to fold the scooter. The gate attendants will carry the scooter down and put it in the luggage hole.

I hope this helps

Have you ever tried to fold the scooter and leave it on board while flying? They don't have a problem taking it when it is unfolded to store in the luggage department? I will be flying for the first time in June with my scooter and I'm not sure what to expect. I remember hearing that they would gate check it but I assumed we would have to fold it up first.

We've never folded it when taking it on the airplane. They will carry it down and bring it back up. Another reason not to fold it, is that there is a tray on the bottom that would have to be taken out and if it is separated from the scooter no telling if it would ever come back to you (we have almost lost it several times when the ground crew took it upon themselves to remove it)

We have a backpack that fits behind the seat and that is where we put the bottom tray/basket and if necessary the extra battery. That also has been taken off sometimes by the ground crew and we have to wait for someone to go back to the cargo hold to look for it.

Although unfolding the scooter is a simple matter, you may need all the time you can get if you are making a change of planes and need to get from one end of the airport to the other. In some instances, we have opted for a wheelchair transfer rather than getting the scooter back for the short time between flights. Also, it takes some time for the scooter to be brought up to the disembarkation ramp. Most of the time, the plane has emptied and we are still waiting. Some airports are better than others...

REMEMBER, IF YOU DO THE WHEELCHAIR TRANSFER, BE SURE THE TICKET AGENT AT THE DOOR OF YOUR FIRST FLIGHT, NOTES ON YOUR GATE CHECK TICKET (THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE SCOOTER) THAT YOU WANT THE SCOOTER TO GO STRAIGHT THRU TO YOUR DESTINATION....

Be sure to have luggage tags on everything! Scooter, basket/tray, and even battery that is attached! Somehow things get taken apart and if they get separated it is difficult for the ground crew to locate.

We've never folded it when taking it on the airplane. They will carry it down and bring it back up. Another reason not to fold it, is that there is a tray on the bottom that would have to be taken out and if it is separated from the scooter no telling if it would ever come back to you (we have almost lost it several times when the ground crew took it upon themselves to remove it)

We have a backpack that fits behind the seat and that is where we put the bottom tray/basket and if necessary the extra battery. That also has been taken off sometimes by the ground crew and we have to wait for someone to go back to the cargo hold to look for it.

Although unfolding the scooter is a simple matter, you may need all the time you can get if you are making a change of planes and need to get from one end of the airport to the other. In some instances, we have opted for a wheelchair transfer rather than getting the scooter back for the short time between flights. Also, it takes some time for the scooter to be brought up to the disembarkation ramp. Most of the time, the plane has emptied and we are still waiting. Some airports are better than others...

REMEMBER, IF YOU DO THE WHEELCHAIR TRANSFER, BE SURE THE TICKET AGENT AT THE DOOR OF YOUR FIRST FLIGHT, NOTES ON YOUR GATE CHECK TICKET (THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE SCOOTER) THAT YOU WANT THE SCOOTER TO GO STRAIGHT THRU TO YOUR DESTINATION....

Be sure to have luggage tags on everything! Scooter, basket/tray, and even battery that is attached! Somehow things get taken apart and if they get separated it is difficult for the ground crew to locate.

Thanks so much for your answers to my questions. DH and I have been wondering just how to handle this for the flight. We actually have a couple of hours layover on our flight in June, so if they are slow getting the scooter back to me, it is not a big deal. Flying home from San Juan next year, we only have a 55 minute layover, so I think we'll just ask for a wheelchair and let them move the scooter to the next plane.

Hi all,

I have enjoyed reading this thread!

I used to travel with a power wheelchair, but have taken my last 2 cruises with my new Golden Companion. I LOVE this scooter! After being in my chair for too long, my back and hips would be rather sore. The seat on the scooter is SO comfortable, which makes life much more pleasant! I am also larger and love the stability of this scooter. I can't climb onto most scooters (lead with one leg), but this seat pivots so getting on and off is very easy. The pivoting seat is also nice if I pull up alongside a table. While deciding on what to purchase, remember that it is often bumpy in ports (gravel, sand, different types of roads, etc) so if you have bad joints, you want a vehicle under you that will handle it well and a comfy seat makes a BIG difference.

My scooter breaks apart and reassembles in a couple of minutes. It fits into the trunk of my Hyundai Elantra and my hubby loves it! The heaviest piece is 50lbs. (total of 185lbs).

I am taking a cruise in June with a friend that has Parkinsons and she needs to do some walking. She has a smaller scooter. We just paid $100 to order a walker carrier for the back of mine. There is a metal piece under my seat that you can put attachments on. This looks like a little bike rack and easily carries around a walker, while I ride.

I have flown and it has been very easy. I board first and get off last.

I am only 51 and I wanted a machine that will last...this is a full size scooter that will break down quickly and fit in our trunk.

As my one Dr friend said when she saw it, "I go into a lot of sr centers and see a lot. This is the Cadillac of scooters!"

Very important before buying...take an outdoor test drive!!!! Make sure that it is comfortable and accommodates your needs!

Happy Cruising all!

Hi all,

I have enjoyed reading this thread!

I used to travel with a power wheelchair, but have taken my last 2 cruises with my new Golden Companion. I LOVE this scooter! After being in my chair for too long, my back and hips would be rather sore. The seat on the scooter is SO comfortable, which makes life much more pleasant! I am also larger and love the stability of this scooter. I can't climb onto most scooters (lead with one leg), but this seat pivots so getting on and off is very easy. The pivoting seat is also nice if I pull up alongside a table. While deciding on what to purchase, remember that it is often bumpy in ports (gravel, sand, different types of roads, etc) so if you have bad joints, you want a vehicle under you that will handle it well and a comfy seat makes a BIG difference.

My scooter breaks apart and reassembles in a couple of minutes. It fits into the trunk of my Hyundai Elantra and my hubby loves it! The heaviest piece is 50lbs. (total of 185lbs).

I am taking a cruise in June with a friend that has Parkinsons and she needs to do some walking. She has a smaller scooter. We just paid $100 to order a walker carrier for the back of mine. There is a metal piece under my seat that you can put attachments on. This looks like a little bike rack and easily carries around a walker, while I ride.

I have flown and it has been very easy. I board first and get off last.

I am only 51 and I wanted a machine that will last...this is a full size scooter that will break down quickly and fit in our trunk.

As my one Dr friend said when she saw it, "I go into a lot of sr centers and see a lot. This is the Cadillac of scooters!"

Very important before buying...take an outdoor test drive!!!! Make sure that it is comfortable and accommodates your needs!

Happy Cruising all!

The total weight of my "TravelScoot" is 35 lbs & carries 320 lbs :D

Cato :)

Edited by Donna's Dad

We never leave the key with the scooter! That is the best way for it to get lost.

Prepare your scooter by:

Take anything with you that could become separated. That being said, we try to take the battery or the extra battery. Some airlines will let us take it with us on-board but many will not. Put in gear. They will have to lift the scooter but that is better than it rolling around in the cargo hold.

We place the bottom basket (tsora scooter) in the backpack and pray that it will come back with the scooter.

TAKE THE KEY!!!

Hi Helen,

This is the first time I have read that an airline would not let you take the battery on board. If you can't take the battery on board then it means you have to check the scooter with the luggage. I was hoping to drive it up to the door of the plane and then take the battery off and bring it on the plane with me. When I get off the plane then I could attach the battery and ride it right away.

Do you remember which airlines refused to allow you to bring the battery on board with you? Also, what type of battery do you have?

Wendy

Hi Helen,

This is the first time I have read that an airline would not let you take the battery on board. If you can't take the battery on board then it means you have to check the scooter with the luggage. I was hoping to drive it up to the door of the plane and then take the battery off and bring it on the plane with me. When I get off the plane then I could attach the battery and ride it right away.

Do you remember which airlines refused to allow you to bring the battery on board with you? Also, what type of battery do you have?

Wendy

Wendy

We've traveled a lot and I cannot remember which airline's gave us a problem with the batteries, however, the battery is sealed and most of the airlines have no problem in that regard. The airlines have been very inconsistent and seems to depend on the flight attendants (who know nothing about scooters or the batteries) not the ground crew.

The batteries are SEALED LEAD ACID, 12V. The Easy Travel battery pack contains two 12V maintenance free batteries. We travel with 2 of these.

The total weight of my "TravelScoot" is 35 lbs & carries 320 lbs :D

Cato :)

I just looked up the Travel scoot and it looks like a cool little scooter! For those that just need something to help go distances, it looks like a definite consideration. For those, like myself, that need a full size scooter I would recommend the Golden.

xxoocruiser's advice was right on target. I used my Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus Mobility Scooter in February on a cruise from Baltimore. It was my first time using a scooter on a cruise. I was skeptical about going up/down the Gangway, but I made out fine. I didn't get hung up on the connecting joints at all, and left a good amount of space between myself and the passengers in front of me. I did get hung up going out on some of the decks. The doors had a tiny little ramp to get up, over and out to the deck, but the clearance on my scooter was still too low. I just went out to the pool deck of the ship, as the exit doorway was flat and the scooter couldn't get stuck.

Anyway, I was thrilled with how easy it was to navigate throughout the ship. I was also happy that my scooter made it into a standard balcony cabin by removing the arms. I could get around in the cabin with my cane, and the scooter was not in the way at all.

Have a wonderful time!!!

I have planned to purchase the same scooter as yours (Go-Go). I was concerned

about it going through the stateroom door (JS). If the ship rentals are go-Go's,

then there must not be a problem getting them through non-accessible room doors. Is that correct? We won't be flying or getting off the ship in ports.

Thanks, in advance,

Cruzin Lady

• 2 weeks later...

STOP! I may have an idea!!!!!

I am dealing with a similar issue. Sailing in Alaska in a month......week on land first. Trouble with my right knee for years following an accident. Looking at a replacement. Not quite ready. Last few weeks pain has gotten terrible and our lovely new HMO said it's too soon for the 3 knee shots which helped for a while.

We have a scooter rented for the ship.

I found, purchased and it just arrived.........a folding walker WITH A FOLD DOWN SEAT!

The walker will allow me to relieve the pressure on the knee which reduces the pain but eventually the knee says SIT! Now, when that happens I can just sit for a few minutes until the knee stops screaming.

This is NOT a Rollator with hand brakes. That is much too skittery for me. This is a conventional 4 leg walker which folds for transport.

Now I admit I have not read the entire thread. I DO want to say it is possible to bring your scooter into your balcony cabin turn it around and leave it alongside your sofa for the evening. There is plenty of room to walk about the cabin and easy to recharge from there.

Ok.......

Checkout the walker. More freedom!

I have planned to purchase the same scooter as yours (Go-Go). I was concerned

about it going through the stateroom door (JS). If the ship rentals are go-Go's,

then there must not be a problem getting them through non-accessible room doors. Is that correct? We won't be flying or getting off the ship in ports.

Thanks, in advance,

Cruzin Lady

The ship and cruise line does not rent any scooters. You have to rent one through either Carevacations or Special Needs at Sea. ( NCL you can only rent from Special Needs at Seas.

Not all rental scooters will fit through a standard non-accessible cabin door and not all rental scooters are Pride Go Go's. Scooters are rented based on weight capacity vs. the weight of the user . Therefore equipment can vary. If the individual's weight qualifies them for a Carevacations " Light weight" or "Mid-size scooter" or a Special Needs at Seas " Standard Scooter" than generally speaking the scooter will be a Pride Go Go model and generally will fit through the door most standard non-accessible cabins. If the weight of individual requires a larger scooter than the larger models will not fit through the door of a standard non-accessible cabin ad you will definitely need to book an accessible cabin as scooter must be stored in the cabin.