Thoughts on a slow boat to Dubai (May 2015 Quantum - BCN to Dubai) ... (coming soon)

(Warning - I'm just going to post this as a teaser and a test of posting photos!)

I'm back at work now after flying back from Dubai last weekend, following a 16 day trip on the Quantum of the Seas, repositioning from Barcelona to Dubai. I'll be working on a review/thoughts/opinions on the whole trip including the 2 days "pre" in Barcelona and the 2 days "post" in the coming week(s). I've got lots of photos to try and organize so please be patient with me about when I get around to posting the details.

For those who just want the punchline - an overall good cruise on a beautiful ship (with some minor issues - which had been well discussed previously on this site) to an intriguing and fascinating (to me anyway) part of the world!

Test of photos to follow...

[This is what I was trying to achieve!]

As an "aperitif" to the review here are pictures from the start and the end of the trip...

My first drink onboard the Quantum .... any guesses where and what it was? ... clue: think Italian...

rP1IjpN44nPHIdx67UZhu0T_to73qGaxKqmrEWbKKQ=w711-h948-no

And here's something from the end of the trip....

xP6ffrpDZKRqL--XhQ7Xfj1jo3axBKJJ3mt13vKubA=w1263-h947-no

I'll be back in a couple of days with stuff from the middle....

[i've managed to get the first part down on paper (or is that screen?) and as it doesn't have any pictures to go with it, I'll do ahead and post it.]

BG – Me, female solo traveller, (very) early 50’s. A Brit by birth and a Canadian by choice, I’ve lived on the west coast for almost 20 years, but still have my Brit accent, which confuses everybody when I introduce myself as Canadian. I started taking solo cruises about 13 years ago and now try to average a couple of cruises a year. I’m not loyal to one cruiseline, I cruise whatever ship takes me where I want to go, when I want to go and for the price I’ve comfortable paying, though the majority of my cruises have been RCCL. I consider myself a “cruise nerd” and enjoy researching and reading about cruising. I’ve got to the point where I’m taking a cruise to see and experience the ship more than being bothered where the ship is going.

READER’S WARNING: What follows is going to include my honest opinion and some of what I have to say may be inferred as negative, so if you’re a cheerleader, who can’t bear to read anything bad about your BFF cruiseline – stop reading now! Also some of what I write might be firmly tongue-in-cheek as I still have my Brit sarcasm gene in place, and I know (from experience) that sometimes that sarcasm doesn’t always translate to North American – you have been warned! This may start as a day by day review, but will probably degenerate into a general review of the trip as it was a long one and some of my memories of the days seem to merge. I’ll apologize in advance for too much detail on some things, and too little on others – feel free to ask specific questions if you feel I missed something – I’m working purely from memory, as I’m far too lazy to actually make notes while on vacation!

BACKGROUND TO THE CRUISE: I didn’t actually plan to be on this ship at all! Last year I booked a Baltic cruise on the Brilliance for May of 2015 (to celebrate my birthday), however around Christmas I saw some postings on CC about the Quantum repositioning from Barcelona to Dubai with a stop in Jordan with excursions to Petra. With the theme tune to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade running through my head, I thought “mmm, interesting”! After watching and waiting a few weeks, the single supplement dropped to a point, where the per diem price was on par to the Baltic cruise, however the Baltic reservation was an inside “studio” (i.e., a converted closet) and the possible Quantum cabin was a balcony. On researching airfares it seemed that the airfares for Canada to Barcelona plus Dubai to Canada were not much more than the Canada to UK return I would have needed for the Baltic. So, decision made, I transferred my booking from the Brilliance to the Quantum, knowing that at least the weather would be warmer on the new booking!

GETTING TO BARCELONA: I used British Airways, and the overnight flight, though a little bumpy at times, was mostly uneventful. Takeoff had been delayed a little (30-40 mins), which had me nervous as I only had a 2.5 hour layover in Heathrow and had to transfer terminals from T5 to T3, which has a recommended minimum time of 90 mins for the transfer. Once we landed and I managed to actually get off the plane (I was seated in the back of the plane!), I was down to 90 mins exactly and rushed through the airport following the signs for T3. The bus transfer from T5 to T3 seemed to take forever, but luck was with me and once I got to the correct terminal, there was no line up for the security checkpoint (you have to re-clear security to transfer terminals, but not go through immigration or customs). I even had time to browse the shops a little and plan what supplies of British chocolate (hmm, Cadbury’s Twirl) I would pick up on my return journey.

Once the gate for my next flight was announced I made my way there only to be met by a (male) BA employee who apparently had decided that no female travelling alone was going to be able to actually lift their carryon bag up into the storage compartment - or at least this appeared to be his view. I was informed I had to gate check my carry on as it was “too big”, I pointed out that other (male) passengers had bags as big or bigger, but my protests were met with denial. After a quick reorganization – luckily I had a light backpack in my carryon that I could move my valuables and breakables into – I reluctantly gate checked the bag. (Last time I was forced to gate-check my bag it went on an independent trip without me, finally being returned one week later with anything breakable, well and truly broken!) Once onboard the plane, I spoke to other passengers around me, they had also had their bags taken from them, and they were also female travelling without male companions, and together we watched during the debark of the plane’s passengers as male passengers (and male/female couples) took out large and multiple bags from the storage compartments (including one passenger, that had managed to fit, not one but two full size guitars in cases into the overhead compartments). Next time I am challenged to gate-check a bag I think I will show that I can bench-press it and perhaps they might let me take it on! (Yes, my carryon does fit in that handy little size-ing frame they have at the airport and I make sure that I am capable of lifting it too.)

VIVA ESPANA: Anyway, eventually me and all my bags made it to Barcelona and with no wait at all at immigration my next step was to find my hotel and get some sleep. I had decided to save a few Euros and try the Aerobus from the airport to Placa Catalunya (http://www.aerobusbcn.com/). I had done my research and their new website even has a video showing where exactly to go to catch the bus. I seemed to time it perfectly and after handing over my 5.90 Euros (one way) and (wo)man-handling my suitcases onboard the bus left the airport. It seemed like a very quick trip and each stop on the route is clearly announced. I had the advantage of having been in Barcelona and Placa Catalunya this time last year, so once I got off the bus it just took me a few moments to work out which direction to head for my hotel in Las Ramblas.

[No, not a Bellini, close though...]

Edited by westcoasttech

very interested in reading your impressions of Q. It sounds as if some of them may be the same as mine. not lucky enough to have taken your cruise, just from Bayonne to the Bahamas. Yep, flew from Florida to NJ to simply experience the ship, absolutely not for the ports.

anxiously awaiting your next posting

My husband and I were on the first two legs of Quantums "Global Oddysey" and are interested in hearing your opinions of your trip. Love your photo from The Dubai Mall - we got there too. We absolutely loved the ship and wish the Quantum class ships sailed out of Florida.

• 4 weeks later...

As a solo female traveler at times, I totally feel your irritation. I had a frustrating gender-specific situation with a TSA agent at the gate who insisted I MUST be traveling with a purse. Saying "Uh, no...don't have one, don't need one" earned me a full pat-down by police right at the gate while the TSA agent argued with the gate agent (who was on my side and just wanted the plane to leave). :rolleyes:

Enjoying your review and can't wait for more!

• 2 months later...

Many apologies, I took a break from all things cruising for a short while.

I've restarted the review here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47772975&posted=1#post47772975

from the beginning just for completeness, and thought I should just tie up the loose end of this thread.

Again my apologies for going AWOL for a bit....