All Things Vantage

FuelScience

You can bring on wine to drink in your cabin, but I would imagine they might charge a corkage fee if you bring the bottle to dinner. Pre-dinner drinks are charged to your account, as are sodas for lunch or any alcohol you might want to have at lunch. You might want to compare the cost of a Vantage cruise with all of the additional charges (gratuities, etc) and Uniworld which is all inclusive and Avalon which does not charge for lunch drinks in additional to dinner. The only drinks at lunch which are at no charge on Vantage is tea and coffee. :(

I've been on 6 trips with Vantage and they do have a corkage fee for wine you bring on board. You could bring your own corkscrew and keep the wine in your room refrigerator. You can pour your own wine in your room and carry it into the dining room or lounge and no one will question you. There is always a bottle of sparkling water on the table at lunch as well. Since I only drink wine at dinner, I don't care about lunch, but if you enjoy a glass of wine with lunch you would either have to bring you own or buy a glass or bottle (which is what we do) . FYI Vantage includes wine with dinner on many cruises, but not all.

We just paid in full for our May 2016 river cruise with Vantage on the new MS Voyager - 35 days from Amsterdam to Translyvania, which includes the 9 days of pre and post by-land add ons.

This will be our second river cruise, though the first one felt like more of a sampler. We did a five day river cruise on the Yangtze river as part of a larger 15 day tour through China. The ship was older, the onboard experience a bit lacking, but still, we loved the concept and could see the potential for having a great experience on a newer, nicer ship. Which, hopefully, the Voyager should be.

We just returned home from a month long trip to France, and while there saw many river ships 'stuck' due to high rivers. Understanding this is an inherent risk in river cruising, I must say from what we observed, and where the ships were docked, it didn't seem to be the worst fate one could experience . . . stuck in Paris? in Bordeaux? in Avignon? Not sure I see the problem. :)

So, we are going into this experience with a mindset of "all is good." Having said that, however, I'm curious if anyone has experienced being stuck, and if so, what Vantage's response was? Do they stay put and add on excursions? Or, do they bus you onward? Or something different altogether?

I've been on 6 trips with Vantage and they do have a corkage fee for wine you bring on board. You could bring your own corkscrew and keep the wine in your room refrigerator. You can pour your own wine in your room and carry it into the dining room or lounge and no one will question you. There is always a bottle of sparkling water on the table at lunch as well. Since I only drink wine at dinner, I don't care about lunch, but if you enjoy a glass of wine with lunch you would either have to bring you own or buy a glass or bottle (which is what we do) . FYI Vantage includes wine with dinner on many cruises, but not all.

Our experience was totally different as far as carrying on our own wine. We were not charged a corkage fee, but we only drank the wine in our room. Also, there was no sparkling water on the table at lunch, just plain water. When I attempted to get a glass of club soda at lunch, I was told I would have to pay for it. Obviously different rules on different ships.

Cole

Sorry about this as the answers are probably in one or other of the previous 200+ posts.

We've never river cruised and are looking at out first in Europe. We have over 250 sea days mostly on Seabourn and to a lesser extent Silversea and are used to the fully all inclusive deal which includes tipping and drinks. I understand the drinks situation re free wine at dinner only but as a line aimed at American travellers (so their website says) can I assume that I'll have to get involved in tipping which is not an Australian sport to anywhere near the extent it is over there. What kind of add-on could I expect if I booked Vantage

Secondly, I don't mind paying at the bar but is there a carry on policy where I can bring wine I've bought locally on board to drink at dinner or in my suite ?? What about spirits for the occasional pre-dinner G&T while we get ready for dinner ?

I haven't travelled on any of the river cruise lines yet so I can't answer about Vantage, but you might want to consider Uniworld, Scenic and Tauck. They all include gratuities, and Scenic and Tauck include all alcoholic beverages (Uniworld excludes premium spirits--there's a list on the board of what is extra, but for us, the included spirits will meet our needs).

Sorry about this as the answers are probably in one or other of the previous 200+ posts.

We've never river cruised and are looking at out first in Europe. We have over 250 sea days mostly on Seabourn and to a lesser extent Silversea and are used to the fully all inclusive deal which includes tipping and drinks. I understand the drinks situation re free wine at dinner only but as a line aimed at American travellers (so their website says) can I assume that I'll have to get involved in tipping which is not an Australian sport to anywhere near the extent it is over there. What kind of add-on could I expect if I booked Vantage

Secondly, I don't mind paying at the bar but is there a carry on policy where I can bring wine I've bought locally on board to drink at dinner or in my suite ?? What about spirits for the occasional pre-dinner G&T while we get ready for dinner ?

I can only speak to Vantage since I've taken 6 trips with them. If you bring wine on board they will not charge you UNLESS you ask them to open it for you, then there's a corkage fee. This fee will also include them storing the wine and making it available to you whenever you want it. If you want to avoid the corkage fee, I would suggest bringing your own corkscrew and ask for wine glasses at the bar, which you will keep in your room and use whenever you want. They will not say anything if you walk from your room to the lounge to the restaurant with a glass of wine in your hand. Some Vantage trips give you free wine with dinner and some do not. I have no idea why that is. As to your tipping question, I'm not sure what you mean. If you're used to traveling with Seaborne and Silversea, you might want to consider Tauck or one of the other luxury oriented companies. I love Vantage and we consider it an upscale product, but in all honesty, I would not put it in the same level as Seabourne or Silversea.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Hi,

We've booked our first 'real' river cruise, after doing a shortie on the Yangtze as part of an overall 15 day tour of China. As a result, I have a question for anyone that might be so kind as to respond -

On our China river cruise, all dining was buffet style except for one evening. How does it work with Vantage? Is service sit down, as in ocean cruising when in the main dining room, or is it always buffet? Or a mix?

Tamara

Edit: We will be onboard the new River Voyager for a 26 night Grand European river cruise should that make any difference. We got bumped from the Navigator, which is apparently being taken out of service in early 2016.

Edited by Tamara2cruise

Dinner off a menu and served. Breakfast primarily buffet, very limited and changing specialty menu to order, omelet/ eggs cooked to order station. Lunch primarily buffet with a limited menu to order.

All meals are open seating. Dinner is at a set time; breakfast and lunch have a time range.

Dinner off a menu and served. Breakfast primarily buffet, very limited and changing specialty menu to order, omelet/ eggs cooked to order station. Lunch primarily buffet with a limited menu to order.

All meals are open seating. Dinner is at a set time; breakfast and lunch have a time range.

I agree with CPT except breakfast buffet being very limited...i think the breakfast buffet is very comprehensive. Lots of fresh fruit, cold meat and cheese, yogurts, granola, hot and cold cereal, all kinds of breads and rolls, pastries, scrambled eggs and breakfast meat and potatoes, usually a french toast, pancake or waffle choice, grilled tomatoes (not often enough) and an eggs cooked to order station where they'll make omelets or fried eggs. Lunch is more limited with the buffet being typical deli style meats, cheese, breads, for DIY sandwich and veggies and greens for DIY salad with usually a choice of hot or cold soup and a hot entree from the menu. Sometimes a pasta bar too....a dessert tray of pastries, fruits, and an ice cream station.

I didn't know Navigator was being retired. I'll miss her....by the end of this summer I'll have sailed on her 4 times, 3 of them in the same room! Can you believe someone had the nerve to book "MY" room for this August!!!!:D

Edited by Hydrokitty

I read CPT's post as saying the breakfast MENU is very limited, not the buffet.

Except Vantage doesn't have a formal menu at b-fast, so I read it as the choices were limited.

CPT....a little help here, what did you mean?? :D

I read CPT's post as saying the breakfast MENU is very limited, not the buffet.

Ayup!

I don't think specialty menus, or any menu, have to be formal or written.

Edited by CPT Trips

Can someone explain the dinner dining dress code on a river cruise vs a ocean cruise? My understanding is that river cruises are much more casual.

Would very much like to not have to pack a sport coat or tie for DH, nor dinner-only dressy wear for myself. We have lots of nice outfits that served us well during a recent trip to Paris, and am hoping they will suffice for river cruising. (Lots of layers, sweaters, scarfs, leather shoes, non-denim slacks)

Edited by Tamara2cruise

Can someone explain the dinner dining dress code on a river cruise vs a ocean cruise? My understanding is that river cruises are much more casual.

Would very much like to not have to pack a sport coat or tie for DH, nor dinner-only dressy wear for myself. We have lots of nice outfits that served us well during a recent trip to Paris, and am hoping they will suffice for river cruising. (Lots of layers, sweaters, scarfs, leather shoes, non-denim slacks)

I use Vantage and their dinner dress code is "smart casual" whatever that is! Here's what DH and I wear to dinner on the river cruise: HIM: khaki slacks and a button down shirt, no jacket or tie. ME: black or white denims with a dressy top and ballet slippers that fold in half. I've never felt under dressed or inappropriately dressed although some people will be more dressy than we are and some will be less. The only thing that is NOT allowed at dinner is shorts or tank tops. I am sure your Paris clothes will be fine. I think with the strict airline weight and luggage restrictions today most lines will not expect you to pack dress, shoes and jackets that can easily put you over the weight limit.

I use Vantage and their dinner dress code is "smart casual" whatever that is! Here's what DH and I wear to dinner on the river cruise: HIM: khaki slacks and a button down shirt, no jacket or tie. ME: black or white denims with a dressy top and ballet slippers that fold in half. I've never felt under dressed or inappropriately dressed although some people will be more dressy than we are and some will be less. The only thing that is NOT allowed at dinner is shorts or tank tops. I am sure your Paris clothes will be fine. I think with the strict airline weight and luggage restrictions today most lines will not expect you to pack dress, shoes and jackets that can easily put you over the weight limit.

I agree 100%

I don't think Navigator is being reitired. My stepmom and I were scheduled on it for the Christmas Markets on the Main and Danube in Dec. 2015 but Vantage called and said the Navigator is going in October for remodeling/refurbishing(?) so would we like to reschedule. We are doing the Christmas Markets on the Danube including Prague on the River Splendor Dec. 4 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on a Vantage Holland Waterways Cruise last year and loved it. We also loved the Chocolate demonstration (with diamond shapes). Does anyone know the name of the company or if I could order some of that same chocolate to be shipped to the states? I'd love to get some more of that same quality chocolate for a special occassion.

I went on a Vantage Holland Waterways Cruise last year and loved it. We also loved the Chocolate demonstration (with diamond shapes). Does anyone know the name of the company or if I could order some of that same chocolate to be shipped to the states? I'd love to get some more of that same quality chocolate for a special occassion.

Hi Laika.....If you remember your TM's name you could e-mail him/her directly or I would suggest contacting Vantage and ask them for the name of the company that did the demonstration on your cruise.

Hello everyone. Last Thursday, I responded to an email only offer from Vantage and signed up for the Majestic Rivers European cruise from Bonn to Budapest for November 20, 2015. I've been lurking on the river cruise forums for several years and signed up for offers from most of the companies with the thought that some day, I'd get more serious about taking a European river cruise. Well, the deal Vantage offered was just too good for me to pass up.

I've been on five ocean cruises (all in the Med) since 2010; three on Oceania and two on Celebrity. Bavaria, Vienna, and Budapest have been high on my bucket list (along with Prague, Warsaw, and Krakow). I'm a 49 year old male and I'll be travelling with my 56 year old sister (she was on all but one ocean cruises with me). Have I completely lost my mind?

I'm feeling confident I've chosen a company and ship that will be satisfactory (River Splendor) and we'll enjoy the itinerary. I'm not concerned about perhaps being a little younger than most of the passengers. My budget dictated the time of year we're going and my sister will enjoy the Christmas markets. Plus, I'd rather be a little chilly than too hot.

This itinerary sacrifices Prague for Germany (mostly Bavaria) and it doesn't include Bratislava, Salzburg, or Cesky Kumlov. Unfortunately, due to the cruise being 15 days, I don't have the vacation time available to extend.

So, any comments about the itinerary, the season, and/or Vantage? Also, a few questions:

• Is there self service laundry on-board?
  • Will there be enough time to take a 2.5 hour tour of the BMW plant in Regensburg?
  • Will we be sorry we're missing Prague, Bratislava, Salzburg, and Cesky Kumlov?
  • Will the scenery be disappointing due to it being late Fall?
  • Will there be a lot of Christmas markets available in late November?

Thank you for your opinions.

...Is there self service laundry on-board? Discounting the sink in your room and line in your shower, there is no self service laundry (the provided shampoo works well to wash out a few things). They do offer (pay) laundry service.

Will there be enough time to take a 2.5 hour tour of the BMW plant in Regensburg? Yes, there should be, but this would be at the expense of missing a lot of what there is to see in Regensburg

Will we be sorry we're missing Prague, Bratislava, Salzburg, and Cesky Kumlov? I have been to all of those great places, and they are DEFINITELY worth seeing, but you can't see everything in two weeks - there is always next time.

Will the scenery be disappointing due to it being late Fall? I have done Vienna to Amsterdam in November and enjoyed the cooler weather and was not disappointed;

Will there be a lot of Christmas markets available in late November? When we were in Nuremberg in late November the Christmas market seemed to be in full swing; elsewhere not so much so...

I have been on Celebrity and Oceania, so I'm familiar with your previous cruise experience. You will be on the younger end of the Vantage passengers, but not enough that it would be any issue. Since you have traveled with your sister before and apparently no one has been killed, no you are not crazy. Sounds like a great first river trip. Enjoy.

Thom

Hello everyone. Last Thursday, I responded to an email only offer from Vantage and signed up for the Majestic Rivers European cruise from Bonn to Budapest for November 20, 2015. I've been lurking on the river cruise forums for several years and signed up for offers from most of the companies with the thought that some day, I'd get more serious about taking a European river cruise. Well, the deal Vantage offered was just too good for me to pass up.

I've been on five ocean cruises (all in the Med) since 2010; three on Oceania and two on Celebrity. Bavaria, Vienna, and Budapest have been high on my bucket list (along with Prague, Warsaw, and Krakow). I'm a 49 year old male and I'll be travelling with my 56 year old sister (she was on all but one ocean cruises with me). Have I completely lost my mind?

I'm feeling confident I've chosen a company and ship that will be satisfactory (River Splendor) and we'll enjoy the itinerary. I'm not concerned about perhaps being a little younger than most of the passengers. My budget dictated the time of year we're going and my sister will enjoy the Christmas markets. Plus, I'd rather be a little chilly than too hot.

This itinerary sacrifices Prague for Germany (mostly Bavaria) and it doesn't include Bratislava, Salzburg, or Cesky Kumlov. Unfortunately, due to the cruise being 15 days, I don't have the vacation time available to extend.

So, any comments about the itinerary, the season, and/or Vantage? Also, a few questions:

• Is there self service laundry on-board?
  • Will there be enough time to take a 2.5 hour tour of the BMW plant in Regensburg?
  • Will we be sorry we're missing Prague, Bratislava, Salzburg, and Cesky Kumlov?
  • Will the scenery be disappointing due to it being late Fall?
  • Will there be a lot of Christmas markets available in late November?

Thank you for your opinions.

I just got back from my 7th trip with Vantage and I am confident that you will indeed be pleased with the company, the ship and the food. Are you out of your mind? Only you can answer that but with a sense of humor you'll fit in with everybody :D

To answer your specific questions:

Vantage ships do not have a self-service laundry on board however you can have laundry done on board. There will be a plastic laundry bag and a sheet of items and prices for you to complete. You leave it on your bed when you go to breakfast and it will be returned to you, frequently while you're at dinner but no later than breakfast the next day. It's a little pricey so if you can avoid doing all but the most necessary items.

Tour of the BMW plant in Regensburg....this is a question for the concierge who will be able to arrange it for you if there's time. Regensburg is a delightful town with great shopping (for your sister while you're doing the car thing) and plenty of outdoor cafes to people watch and enjoy a cold beer. I didn't know there was a BMW plant there, but seriously the concierge will be able to tell you AND arrange it for you.

Will you be sorry to miss Prague, Bratislava, Salzburg and Cesky Kumlov? Of course you will, but that's what you'll do on your next river cruise. Trust me, there will be a next one! :D

Late November isn't late Fall....it's early Winter! I haven't done Christmas markets so I cannot answer those two questions. Latest I've been to that area is mid-October and it was lovely.

Thanks very much for your opinions and answers. I'm sure we'll enjoy the trip even in the winter.

One more question; I haven't been provided anything that gives the times we'll be in "port." Will Vantage eventually provide that? Oh, and it turns out I think we're going to be in Regensburg on a Sunday so not BMW plant tour. :(

Thanks very much for your opinions and answers. I'm sure we'll enjoy the trip even in the winter.

One more question; I haven't been provided anything that gives the times we'll be in "port." Will Vantage eventually provide that? Oh, and it turns out I think we're going to be in Regensburg on a Sunday so not BMW plant tour. :(

There is normally a clue to the plan in the itinerary as to where Lunch is mentioned, however timings will be very variable, especially on any sections with locks.

River Cruising is a bit unpredictable with locks, strikes, high water, low water, Captains that bash their boat into something etc etc

There is normally a clue to the plan in the itinerary as to where Lunch is mentioned, however timings will be very variable, especially on any sections with locks.

River Cruising is a bit unpredictable with locks, strikes, high water, low water, Captains that bash their boat into something etc etc

Vantage captains don't hit stuff!!! :D