All Things Vantage

FuelScience

Solar_Yellow,

The ALL Vantage River Cruise Roll Calls: 2015-2016 thread on the River Cruise Roll Call forum shows that RLJAN, TwofromVirginia, donnasworld, drmbrm, and bobpatj are doing the Majestic Rivers of Europe before you are. After their cruises, they might be able to answer your question.

The problem is that CruiseCritic doesn't allow you to contact people directly unless you've made them a "friend," so it's hard to get people's attention.

Also, it looks like cp556 will be on the same trip that you'll be on. If it's OK, I'll go ahead and add you to the list.

FuelScience

Solar_Yellow,

The ALL Vantage River Cruise Roll Calls: 2015-2016 thread on the River Cruise Roll Call forum shows that RLJAN, TwofromVirginia, donnasworld, drmbrm, and bobpatj are doing the Majestic Rivers of Europe before you are. After their cruises, they might be able to answer your question.

The problem is that CruiseCritic doesn't allow you to contact people directly unless you've made them a "friend," so it's hard to get people's attention.

Also, it looks like cp556 will be on the same trip that you'll be on. If it's OK, I'll go ahead and add you to the list.

FuelScience

Yes. That would be great! Thanks.

Or bombs in the rivers!

Yikes, has that actually happened? I know when we were in Croatia and Serbia I wanted to take a short stroll through a lovely forest and our TM pointed out the signs indicating that the area was loaded with unexploded land mines from their war.

Yikes, has that actually happened? I know when we were in Croatia and Serbia I wanted to take a short stroll through a lovely forest and our TM pointed out the signs indicating that the area was loaded with unexploded land mines from their war.

Yes, it happens from time to time in Cologne when the water level is low.

However it has also recently happened in Calais & Wembley.

There are lots of unexploded bombs in Europe, quite a lot were dropped and they are all getting a bit old now.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be embarking on a Vantage cruise from Cologne to Budapest on July 19th. I have a number of questions and hope someone will be able to assist.

1. Will we be on a bus from Frankfurt to Bonn? Is there time to see anything in Bonn while waiting for others to arrive? If so, suggestions please.

2. Any must see or do in Cologne during the "afternoon of leisure"?

3. Any suggestions of things to do in Bratislava during leisure time?

4. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations in Bratislava serving traditional food? And in Prague?

5. The biggest question ... How do you pack for 3 weeks without having to do laundry?

Thanks for any info you can provide.:)

QUOTE=Two from Virginia;47052773]We will be embarking on a Vantage cruise from Cologne to Budapest on July 19th. I have a number of questions and hope someone will be able to assist.

1. Will we be on a bus from Frankfurt to Bonn? Is there time to see anything in Bonn while waiting for others to arrive? If so, suggestions please.

2. Any must see or do in Cologne during the "afternoon of leisure"?

3. Any suggestions of things to do in Bratislava during leisure time?

4. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations in Bratislava serving traditional food? And in Prague?

5. The biggest question ... How do you pack for 3 weeks without having to do laundry?

Thanks for any info you can provide.:)

I am assuming that you are on the Majestic Rivers of Europe with the post-trip extension to Bratislava and Prague. I did the Budapest to Black Sea with pre-trip to Bratislava and Prague last year....and the first half in 2008 was our first trip with Vantage. I'm going to answer them in order so I don't forget anything.

1. In 2008 this trip started in Amsterdam but looking at the catalog, it says you will travel by bus from Frankfort to Bonn...ride takes about 2 hours...I doubt if you'll spend much, if any time in Bonn.

2. Cologne....you will most likely have an included tour of the Dom, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and houses relics of the 3 Magi. We did not have much time in Cologne so I would suggest you talk to the concierge and find out what there is to do (there's plenty, I just don't know how close to dock they are).

3. Bratislava...Beautiful City and not too big. Your stay will probably include a tour of the Castle and a little train tram shuttle that will pick you up at the hotel, take you to the castle, (which IMHO was kind of ho hum as castles go, but the views were spectacular) and then bring you from castle to main square, which is filled with shops and historical buildings. You can either remain in town (a hefty walk from Sheraton) or take the tram back to the hotel. If you're staying at the Sheraton which we did last year, it's wonderfully located. The new Opera house is across the street, there's a 3 story mall to which the hotel is connected if you need anything, and it's on the Danube riverfront which has been done beautifully. The river walk is right outside the hotel and runs about 1.5 miles, give or take, with nothing but one restaurant next to another, most of them high end bars with food. If you want local food ask the hotel concierge....he sent us to a place that was fantastic. I can tell you how to find it, but not the name of it. It's on the river walk to your right from the hotel and it's the last restaurant (of course). Food was fantastic and very reasonable.

4. Prague...You're tour will include the Castle and the Old Town Square. We stayed at the Hilton Old Town which was about a 10-15 minute walk from the Square and restaurants abound!!! Two things you must try in Prague both from street vendors: one is a spiral shaped donut, placed on a stick, rolled in nuts and roasted on an open flame...and the other is a baked potato thinly sliced, roasted on a stick and looks like Pringles on a stick. Both of these were to die for!!

As for the packing: (sure save the really hard question for last! ) I bring 2 pairs of jeans (one for the plane and the other black for dinner); several pairs of cargo capri pants (all in basic colors that will match a variety of colors); one gauzy top to go with the black jeans and the rest 3/4 to short sleeves; 1 hooded sweatshirt with a zipper front and 1 rain jacket with a hood and several zippered pockets. (I like to be hands free as much as possible) I wear my walking shoes on the plane and bring one pair of black ballet slippers that fold up. As for personal clothing items, it depends. Sometimes I'll bring enough to last entire trip + one or two extra (you only get stuck in an airport hotel over-night one time!)...but most of the time I'll do laundry on the ship one time. If it's just underwear and pajamas it's not too bad and it's cheaper than going over on your luggage allowance. There will be a laundry slip in your cabin with prices listed. They say next day service but if you put the laundry on your bed before you leave for b'fast usually it will be done when you return from dinner the same night. I usually spend 8-10 E for laundry for two people.

Hope this helps. It's a beautiful trip. Oh one more thing....on the way from Bratislava to Budapest we stopped for a community lunch that was wonderful...we had to make our own bread and strudel...and we ate what we made unless you failed bread making and had to wear your bread like I did :D Then we stopped at a local family that made their own wine....after sampling several varieties of really wonderful wine, we were invited to buy some, which we all did and drank it on the ship. I hope you get to do those things too because we had a blast!!!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Depending on your dock location in Bonn, it's an easy stroll into the Marketplace and Beethoven's House. Take the route through the park that goes past the former Electoral Palace.

Edited by CPT Trips

Thanks HydroKitty for all the useful information you have provided. I really appreciate it. Can't wait to go on the cruise. We are taking your advice and going to Kutna Hora to see the Ostuary. Enjoy your next cruise.

I'm so glad.....keep an open mind when you enter the ossuary. I found it to be very interesting, beautiful and touching. And St. Barbara's Church is beautiful. Have a wonderful time.....can't wait to hear from you when you get back. I leave August 27 for Amsterdam to Basel.

Depending on your dock location in Bonn, it's an easy stroll into the Marketplace and Beethoven's House. Take the route through the park that goes past the former Electoral Palace.

I would love to see Beethoven's House!

Has anyone taken the optional Vantage tour to Pont du Gard? The tour is 2 1/2 hours but it seems that an hour of this time will probably be travel. I wondered if this leaves enough time to really enjoy this amazing spot. We'll be there in October so at least we won't be fighting the summer crowds. We'd like to be able to visit the top tier and the museum and, of course, take lots of photos. Shopping and restaurants aren't important to us. Our other option is to rent a car and do it ourselves.

Has anyone taken the optional Vantage tour to Pont du Gard? The tour is 2 1/2 hours but it seems that an hour of this time will probably be travel. I wondered if this leaves enough time to really enjoy this amazing spot. We'll be there in October so at least we won't be fighting the summer crowds. We'd like to be able to visit the top tier and the museum and, of course, take lots of photos. Shopping and restaurants aren't important to us. Our other option is to rent a car and do it ourselves.

I would contact your concierge and ask him/her how much time you'll actually be in Pont du Gard and would you be able to go on your own for that time. When we went to Pont du Gard we were on a land tour, so I have no idea how far away your port is, but according to Vantage Q & A, that is what the concierge is supposed to do!!

Yes, we did he optional Vantage tour to Pont du Gard in April 2015. I'm not happy being rushed through things, but I thought the time was adequate. When our bus arrived at Pont du Gard, we had maybe 10-15 minutes for toilet and gift shop; then met our local guide who had the key for the locked top tier, and those who chose walked all the way through the top tier aqueduct; we took a number of pictures (not an infinite number), and when we arrived back at the museum we still had about an hour which gave a chance to see almost everything in some detail. I don't recall how long we were actually on-site, but it must have been closer to 2 hours than 1.5. I was not disappointed.

We had looked into renting a car in Avignon and doing it ourselves (we often go the DIY route), but the only car rentals I could locate were a long way from the boat dock.

Thom

Hydrokitty - I agree that is what a concierge is for but I really want the info long before we head out. We've been to Avignon on a land trip in the past so actually have the whole day to do what we want. Advance info would be helpful so that I could arrange a private tour or rent a car. Our experience with Vantage tours is that they usually give us enough time but was hoping to verify my hopes. We didn't have a concierge on the Elbe tour we just completed. That could complicate things too! You are a wealth of valuable Vantage info so appreciate your input!

TravelerThom - Just the info I was looking for - thanks!

We did Pont du Gard while on an AMA cruise and it does take some time to get there.

It is an amazing feat of engineering, considering when it was constructed.

I don't remember how long we were at the site, but there is a bit of walking to get up close to the aqueduct.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bringing this forward, found it on page 3!

A question to those of you who have sailed from Amsterdam to Budapest. We are sailing in late September and are planning to, at last, book optional excursions. Our past experience is that you take a tour in the morning, have lunch and then take, if offered, an optional tour in the afternoon. The tour for Rothenburg is confusing, as it says "alternately, you may join an afternoon optional tour..." Does that mean you have a choice of either or tours that day? The morning is busy with a Germany lecture, onboard, and a tour of the Wuzsburg Residenz, (castle), and wine tasting and lecture. ? ? ?

A question to those of you who have sailed from Amsterdam to Budapest. We are sailing in late September and are planning to, at last, book optional excursions. Our past experience is that you take a tour in the morning, have lunch and then take, if offered, an optional tour in the afternoon. The tour for Rothenburg is confusing, as it says "alternately, you may join an afternoon optional tour..." Does that mean you have a choice of either or tours that day? The morning is busy with a Germany lecture, onboard, and a tour of the Wuzsburg Residenz, (castle), and wine tasting and lecture. ? ? ?

When Vantage says you can join an "optional" tour to Rothenburg, they mean it's at extra cost. You can either do what their free plans are for that time period, or head to Rothenburg.

If you've never been there, Rothenburg is a must-see. An ancient walled city filled with amazing buildings, and "Christmas All Year Round" stores. We were there three times and enjoyed every single minute of it.

When we went to Rothenburg it was an all day affair and as cp556 says, it is well worth the time and money. However, I checked the catalog and it is confusing. It says you get an included tour of the Residenz Palace with a wine tasting and it shows Rothenburg as "an excursion"...I don't remember if we paid extra for it, I do not think we did. You have a couple of options here: call Vantage and ask them; wait until you get your final docs with name of your TD and e-mail him/her directly OR wait until you're on board the ship and then book Rothenberg. Unless you're booking something with limited seating, there is usually not a problem booking optional excursions on the ship.