Avalon Embarkation???

uilleann

Just got our Travel Docs for the Avalon Magnificent Europe cruise from Amsterdam to Budapes. But the actual timing of the embarkation is confusing.

The Meeting location is hotel. The day of embarkation the Cruise Director and hospitality people will be at the hotel.

They say that transportation will be provided to the ship from the hotel at 3:30pm at the latest.

The Safety brief is at 5pm.

Then there is a note that no passengers are allowed on the ship prior to 4pm.

So what really happens? I have read, I think, that sometimes they have buses to the boat after lunch and that they can board much sooner than 3:30pm. This sounds like that they pack everyone into buses at 3:30, you all board at 4 and then assemble for briefing at 5

Just got our Travel Docs for the Avalon Magnificent Europe cruise from Amsterdam to Budapes. But the actual timing of the embarkation is confusing.

The Meeting location is hotel. The day of embarkation the Cruise Director and hospitality people will be at the hotel.

They say that transportation will be provided to the ship from the hotel at 3:30pm at the latest.

The Safety brief is at 5pm.

Then there is a note that no passengers are allowed on the ship prior to 4pm.

So what really happens? I have read, I think, that sometimes they have buses to the boat after lunch and that they can board much sooner than 3:30pm. This sounds like that they pack everyone into buses at 3:30, you all board at 4 and then assemble for briefing at 5

I have been on two Avalon cruises. It is true that almost everyone arrives via bus after meeting at the hotel. Avalon usually offers an optional tour you can sign up for. They are not going to leave sooner than 3:30 from the hotel to the ship. You certainly can sight see on your own after dropping your bags off at the hotel.

If you are fortunate the ship will be docked across from the train station. Where is the ship docked and which hotel?

I have been on two Avalon cruises. It is true that almost everyone arrives via bus after meeting at the hotel. Avalon usually offers an optional tour you can sign up for. They are not going to leave sooner than 3:30 from the hotel to the ship. You certainly can sight see on your own after dropping your bags off at the hotel.

If you are fortunate the ship will be docked across from the train station. Where is the ship docked and which hotel?

The nice thing about river cruises is, when you get to your cabin, your luggage is there. So you can begin to unpack and get organized before the safety talk in the lounge. Generally you are greeted at the door of the lounge by someone handing you a glass of champagne. Take a deep breath and begin to enjoy a wonderful trip.

Cole

Is it permitted to board in Basel without going through Zurich?

Yes. But you need to find out where the ship is docked. It might be in an industrial area. Avalon will provide you with the Cruise Directors cell phone number so you can call for specifics the day of.

You are correct. You can drop your bags off at their hotel anytime during the day and then go sightseeing. Be back at hotel by 3:30pm, check in (2 min), time for soft drink or coffee then orderly boarding on to coaches. 5 min to dock. Greeted by Captain and officers as you board where you are led into lounge and glass of " Champagne". Some introductions and then your steward takes you to your cabin and explains everything. Bags should be there so you can start unpacking before safety drill at 5:00pm. All very fast, civilized and relaxing. Have a great trip. We did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done 2 cruises with Avalon now and both started in Budapest, where the docking locations can changed daily. Our 1st cruise there were a few guests who arrived early and independently went directly to the ship because they knew where it was be docked, however they had to sit in the lounge and wait for everyone else to arrive.

Our 2nd cruise everyone waited at the hotel in a ballroom, we gave the bell staff our luggage and at the meeting time we were taken by bus to the ship. Once onboard we were welcomed and directed into the lounge and were then take by groups to the reception desk where we gave our passports and received our room key cards. Once we got to our cabin our bags were there. Avalon had refreshments at the hotel for us.

Compared with ocean cruises the embarkation was very quick and stress free.

We've only had one Avalon cruise and they did not allow early boarding. It was this spring (April-May) in Paris. Some said it was because of enhanced security but we were notified of this policy (we asked) when we booked several months ahead of the troubles in Paris. This is our one criticism of Avalon as it made it very inconvenient to drop things at the hotel (safe but not a fun tourist - walking area) and go back out to tour before boarding. We haven't found early boarding a problem with the other lines we've used.

So it sounds like we leave our hotel (different than the Avalon one) at checkout time. The go to the Avalon hotel, Room Mate Aitana. There will be the Cruise Director and hospitality staff. We check our bags there. Then we can go play around in Amsterdam till about 3ish but before 3:30 and then we go with the bus and boarding.

I think that is what I see happens.

So it sounds like we leave our hotel (different than the Avalon one) at checkout time. The go to the Avalon hotel, Room Mate Aitana. There will be the Cruise Director and hospitality staff. We check our bags there. Then we can go play around in Amsterdam till about 3ish but before 3:30 and then we go with the bus and boarding.

You are right. Some folks will stay at the hotel and others drop their bags and explore until 3pm You Avalon cruise director will be in the lobby and will check your name off the list and provide you with more information.

On our two Avalon cruises, we didn't book any pre-cruise things with Avalon. In Bucharest we stayed at the same hotel the cruise used, they did a bus tour that morning while we did our own thing, we met up with the Cruise Director at the hotel around 3pm for the 45 to 60 minute bus ride to the ship. On our second cruise we flew to Prague, toured on our own, then on the day of departure for the ship we took a cab to the hotel the cruise was using, and took the 3 hour bus ride to Nuremberg after doing our own thing that morning. On the second we had to pay for the transfer to the ship, and had we used it the trip after the cruise. We could have met the cruise in Nuremberg, there were people on our cruise who were on the previous cruise.

JC

Do they always use the same hotel in Bucharest? Can you tell me what the name of it was -

Yes, we had the same hotel as I.r.a. Athenee Palace Hilton. We walked all over Bucharest, with a few cab rides. It was a relatively short walk to the old town say 6 or 7 blocks about twice that far to the Parliament building. Felt very safe. High end shops just next door to the hotel. Great breakfast daily. We booked it on a crazy web site out of Hong Kong that I would not use again but it all worked out well.

JC