hello

beekat

Also jimmybean.What would I have to do? as I want to go there and get off and stay for a few week then come back..is it still the Qm2 I go with?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

On normal crossings QM2 does not move noticeable. On a rough sea in November she moves like a slow going horse. In a blizzard it rocks a little but a glas will still stand on the cupboard.

Going to say something here that might raise a few eyebrows.

If you're getting so worked up and so worried about the movement of the ship, why do you want to sail on her?

Or are you a 'wind-up' merchant?

You keep asking the same question, we keep replying but you're not satisfied. I'm sure I'm not the only one who cannot understand what more you want from us.

If you are genuine, then I hold my hands up and apologise unreservedly, but for heavens sake, listen to what people are saying.

Beekat,

Three years ago I started a thread on this board raising some of the same questions that have troubled you. I received a flood of responses encouraging me to put my fears aside and to take the (metaphorical) plunge. You'll never regret it, people told me. And you know what? They were absolutely right. Or rather, they were largely right. My only caveat is that I sometimes do regret the hole in my bank account when I get home!

We've made four crossings thus far, and another two are on tap for this summer. Of the four we've made, three were calm, two supernally so. On one crossing we did encounter two days of rough seas and one night that was classified "very rough." But although we could certainly tell that the ship was moving, apart from a very mild headache, I experienced no ill effects. Sailing on QM2 bears no resemblance to traveling on a ferry.

So, hesitate no longer! Get your tickets, prepare yourself for a wonderful adventure at sea, and let us know when you'll be joining us.

Edited by Thaxted

Beekat, it sounds as though this will be your first cruise (not ferry) - do you think it may be best to try one that doesn't involve so many sea days as your first? I can understand your fear of the unknown, we have cruised quite a few times but are going on our first TA in November this year and I share a lot of what you're feeling :). Maybe a short cruise from Southampton would be a good idea before you book the TA because if you don't like it going out you've still got to come home and knowing that could spoil your time in New York as well.

My husband used to suffer from sea-sickness but he swears by the wristbands, he just puts them on if he starts to feel "not great" and after that he's fine. I've only felt a bit iffy once but that was in a hurricane in the Bay of Biscay so I'm hoping not to feel the same anytime soon lol.

Gill

If you're considering a crossing in 2015, here are the dates and lengths of next year's Transatlantics.

attachment.php?attachmentid=306409&stc=1&d=1395328313

Sorry that it's a little small.

For example, you could go west on Sept 20,2015 (Arriving in NYC on Sept 27) and return going east 14 days later on Oct 11 2015. Or a bit earlier you could go westbound on August 11 2015 (arriving on August 19 - 8 day crossing) and go east 2 weeks later on September 4. Depending on where you go in the US the weather may be cooler and more to your liking in September/October than August.

Not worried about the sickness I fear the unknown. ...Does the ship rock? Or does it go up and slam back down if there's a storm? x

I worried before my first sailing too. Even in the roughest of weather, gale force 11 winds, the ship may rock and roll, but it's fine. It is a very large ship, and you get used to it. The worst weather can make it hard to sleep because of the jerking movements, but in that case I wouldn't travel in December if I were you. If you get seasick, make sure you have some pills with you and take them early if it looks as though it's going to be rough.

Some crossings are so smooth you almost forget you're at sea. But you can never be sure what the Atlantic will do.

Thanks J.So when u walk up and down on the ship you don't fall side to side like on a ferrie? x

That depends entirely on how long you've spent in the Commodore Club before you started walking up and down.

J

How long do you just see water for pls? Sorry to ask lots of questions. .also isn't September hurricane season? x

You seem to be obsessed with ship motion and now apparently with being out of sight of land. You get lots of both on a cruise.

Maybe it would be better to consider a land based vacation.

David.

I think everyones a bit frightened about how the weather gonna be on a ship.When crossing the Atlantic you have to be aware of what can happen? And it will be my first time? And I done like flying so I feel cruising is my only chance to get from A to B.?

And babs 135.ill make sure your not on the same ship as me..Im only asking all these questions because I want to go to the usa.? As I won't fly due to having a crash land in 2000.So I want to weigh up my options.

But thanks to everyone else for being so helpful. x

And babs 135.ill make sure your not on the same ship as me..Im only asking all these questions because I want to go to the usa.? As I won't fly due to having a crash land in 2000.So I want to weigh up my options.

But thanks to everyone else for being so helpful. x

We are trying to be helpful, but you keep asking the same questions. I'm sorry if I have upset you, but I wanted to make you understand that here on Cruise Critic we do our best to help people, but just sometimes it feels as if those people are not listening... Again I'm sorry to upset you.

Now back to your original question re motion of the ship. If you are unlucky and the weather is really rough, yes the ship could go up and then 'slam' back down, but as has been said before the Queen Mary is built to cross the Atlantic in all weathers and she and you should be okay. Will you see cups and saucers, etc flying off tables, extremely unlikely but no-one can say definitely not; we are talking nature here. Will you walk from side to side; yes, but only if you've had one to many:D, but seriously once you get your sealegs you'll be okay and there are handrails all over the ship so if you feel the need, hold on.

Think positive, make the booking, have a fabulous trip and please don't forget to come back on the forum and tell us that you don't know why you were worried and you can't wait for your next cruise!!

Hi again Beekat,

Sometimes, it is difficult to communicate via message boards without the reassuring facial expressions we all have…. : )

As I have said in earlier posts. I don't fly either. I never crashed but I had one "bad" experience that put me off from flying ever again…

I thought my traveling potential was just very, very limited--until I "discovered" ship travel.

Now, I say "thank goodness I don't fly" because ship travel is so pleasant.

I do think if you tried sailing on the QM2, you would enjoy the ship. You would get to NY and home safely. And, like so many of us, you would be "hooked" forever on the Queen Mary 2.

Awww thanks.im just very anxious of travelling altogether after I had a bad flight..I was so scared. I so so want to go to the states. As before my grandmother passed.she always said make sure you go .it was the best thing she ever did in her life.So I really want to go.I know ill enjoy myself.But as I said im scared because its the thought of being out there in the middle of no where. But as you said theres soo much to do on board time will fly by.Im scared of the weather and having a bad experience. but I can't keep thinking negative just because I had a bad flight. .x Thankyou again.x

Awww thanks.im just very anxious of travelling altogether after I had a bad flight..I was so scared. I so so want to go to the states. As before my grandmother passed.she always said make sure you go .it was the best thing she ever did in her life.So I really want to go.I know ill enjoy myself.But as I said im scared because its the thought of being out there in the middle of no where. But as you said theres soo much to do on board time will fly by.Im scared of the weather and having a bad experience. but I can't keep thinking negative just because I had a bad flight. .x Thankyou again.x

I understand your fear of flying. Some years ago we were flying into Manchester, had just about landed, when suddenly we shot straight back up into the air. Once we had levelled off the co-pilot made a short announcement apologising and explaining that there had been another aircraft on the runway! I think the scariest thing was the absolute silence in the cabin, none of this screaming that you see in films, etc. However, there are times when we have had no other option but to fly and I still don't like it. Given the chance I'd go by ship every time; you will meet some really interesting people and maybe make some friends along the way.

Enjoy.

There is nothing scary about sailing on the QM2. It's an amazing experience. Personally, I'd be more concerned about making plans for a 2 week stay in the US. Unless you have relatives or friends here, it's quite an undertaking. :)

Thanks..Yes.we had the same where there was another plane in front of us.but then there was smoke coming out everywhere? Jesusand everyone was screaming. My friend sailed to the usa on ship and she said she couldn't feel a thing? But im just anxious of any travel. But Im not gonna let it stop me.Thanks for being so nice.x

And yes I do have friends there.but they live in Washington. x? But its not far from NY is it?

If you mean Washington, DC, it will take you anywhere from 2 hours and 45 minutes to three-and-a-half hours to get there by train from New York.

I felt the same way about visiting on your side of "the pond." I dearly wanted to see England and Ireland and Scotland (and France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands) etc etc. but I was not going to go on an airplane to do it…

Now, I've been to Tahiti and New Zealand and seen the tip of South America! I've been Alaska. All places I never dreamt I would see. All because there were ships for transportation.

Of course, you have been very very frightened. It is natural for you to feel the way you do. It is just so wonderful there is a solution out there so you can both travel and not feel anxious (once you see how pleasant it is).

i hope your visit here is as satisfying for you as visiting your country has been for me.

Thank you for sharing your feelings on Cruise Critic message board. So many nice people post here. So many nice people sail on QM2.

Thanks for being so nice.You don't think ill feel anxious when im on board? I guess we just think alot hey before hand? where do you come from?

You don't think ill feel anxious when im on board?

/QUOTE]

I don't think you will feel anxious at all........as soon as you step aboard, you realize it's more like being in a large hotel with really great views. I had mild anxiety before our first TA. Trust me....you just forget all about it in the first 5 minutes. Too much excitement to dwell on anything negative.