Golden Eagle Catamaran Excursion

gandh621

Ok! We made a decision to book the 4 hour Golden Eagle excursion with beach stop.

I have a 2 questions!

1. Where does this tour meet?

2. What beach does it go to?

Thanks so much and I hope everyone has a good week,

Holly

Ok! We made a decision to book the 4 hour Golden Eagle excursion with beach stop.

I have a 2 questions!

1. Where does this tour meet?

2. What beach does it go to?

Thanks so much and I hope everyone has a good week,

Holly

Hi Holly,

When we took the 4 hour tour they were docked right between our ship and Philipsburg so it should be a short walk. We visited town first then went back to the ship to drop things off and walked back to the GE.

Our beach stop was on Tintamarre which is an island and a protected area. If they stop there you can enjoy the beach and float in the water, the staff will deliver beer and rum punch to you in the water. Use a life vest to float! You will also be able to try exfoliating yourself with the "mud" there.

If you have lunch at Calmos Cafe in Grand Case that is excellent and right on the beach.

This is still one of our favorite excursions ever. We enjoyed the staff and the area so much we took their full day tour when we returned on a land vacation.

Enjoy!

Hi Holly,

When we took the 4 hour tour they were docked right between our ship and Philipsburg so it should be a short walk. We visited town first then went back to the ship to drop things off and walked back to the GE.

Our beach stop was on Tintamarre which is an island and a protected area. If they stop there you can enjoy the beach and float in the water, the staff will deliver beer and rum punch to you in the water. Use a life vest to float! You will also be able to try exfoliating yourself with the "mud" there.

If you have lunch at Calmos Cafe in Grand Case that is excellent and right on the beach.

This is still one of our favorite excursions ever. We enjoyed the staff and the area so much we took their full day tour when we returned on a land vacation.

Enjoy!

Perhaps you are miss-remembering your two cruises on the Golden Eagle?

I've seen the Golden Eagle at the Cruise Facility Water Taxi dock, right there by the ship for the Cruise line-booked half day tours.

For the All-Day cruise, you do, indeed visit the office at Dock Maarten.

I don't think that any other than the full day cruises stop at Calmos for lunch. I believe that the half day tours stick to the Eastern Coast of the island.

Golden Eagle was banned from Tintamarre several years ago, as the passenger load exceeded the limit imposed by the Nature Reserve.

The 'mud baths' on Tintamarre were closed many years ago as contaminated, and you can only get that if your tour takes their own mud.

gary

Perhaps you are miss-remembering your two cruises on the Golden Eagle?

I've seen the Golden Eagle at the Cruise Facility Water Taxi dock, right there by the ship for the Cruise line-booked half day tours.

For the All-Day cruise, you do, indeed visit the office at Dock Maarten.

I don't think that any other than the full day cruises stop at Calmos for lunch. I believe that the half day tours stick to the Eastern Coast of the island.

Golden Eagle was banned from Tintamarre several years ago, as the passenger load exceeded the limit imposed by the Nature Reserve.

The 'mud baths' on Tintamarre were closed many years ago as contaminated, and you can only get that if your tour takes their own mud.

gary

Yes it's been some time so I'm sure you are right. In fact they did pick us up at our hotel and deliver us to the office and dock there for the full day sail. We had organized a TTOL meet & greet for the night before and included the all day sail the next morning, and many decided not to go out due to iffy weather. Turned out to be a gorgeous day, and they got t-shirts from the office for those of us who stuck it out.

I see the Eco-tour departs from dock Maarten and they say that stops at Tintamarre and Calmos Cafe, not sure if they haven't updated their site? But that's a different excursion than offered through the ship I'm sure.

I'd contact them directly to see where they go on the 1/2 day sail.

Excellent crew and day wherever you go!

• 1 month later...

I just came back from a cruise that stopped in St. Maarten. We took a bus to Mullet Bay beach and I saw the Golden Eagle catamaran docked in the bay. There were another catamaran and several other smaller boats that also visit the bay.

Mullet Bay beach is beautiful. You can find it on Google Maps.

We snorkeled in a very crowded area with three other groups, we did one other snorkel site in open water. We did see fish, a sunken helicopter, a cannon but the number of people really turned me off. You had to swim from the boat to the beach and the day we went was very windy and the current made it difficult for anyone but the strongest swimmers to make it yo the beach.

The crew was delightful, the drinks excellent and the sandwiches mediocre.

• 3 weeks later...

Our lunch was actually fabulous for a daysail. Definitely recommend the GE daysail through the ship, one of the few exclusions we book through the cruise line. The others are the champagne cat in St Thomas to St John, and the Excellence cat in Antigua (See Antigua by Sea excursion).

We did the Golden Eagle Cat Sail a few years back and it does take you by Maho Beach and then continues on for a few miles and anchors off of a nice beach a little further up the coast. The sailing was great as was the crew. They really know how to get you in a good mood but I have to say the snorkeling was not very good. We asked one of the deck hands about it and he said it hadn't been good for years.

I would definitely recommend the Golden Eagle but not for the snorkeling. In fact, St. Marten has been a disappointment all around regarding snorkeling. Love the restaurants on St. Marten however.

We did the Golden Eagle Cat Sail a few years back and it does take you by Maho Beach and then continues on for a few miles and anchors off of a nice beach a little further up the coast. The sailing was great as was the crew. They really know how to get you in a good mood but I have to say the snorkeling was not very good. We asked one of the deck hands about it and he said it hadn't been good for years.

I would definitely recommend the Golden Eagle but not for the snorkeling. In fact, St. Marten has been a disappointment all around regarding snorkeling. Love the restaurants on St. Marten however.

Yes agree - Great day on the GE!