Best Time to Book Alaska Cruises for Discounts

Cinderellie

Hello. It's been a long time since I have booked an Alaska cruise... over 20 years! My new husband and I want to start making plans for a 2015 cruise -- don't know when -- either at May's end to sometime in June. We are flexible.

- When do you start looking for the best discounts for 2015?

- Do the cruise lines have special sales on an annual basis for Alaska? I get bombarded with cruise offers for THIS year... but when do the sales for 2015 start publishing, and become discounted?

- Are there special sites that you use to get deep discounts?

I am a past cruiser with NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess, Carnival & Disney.

I know about last minute cruise deals. I don't want to play thing that close. For work purposes, we need to plan ahead and arrange time off.

Info about us... we are a newlywed couple in our late 40's, mid 50's. My 2nd time to Alaska, his 1st. He gets seasick but the patch worked. Going alone as a couple -- like a 2nd honeymoon. We are both chubby -- NOT the hiking, adventure type. More scenery, wildlife, fun type.

Suggestions for us?

Thanks in advance.

I always book as early as I can. Booked our Alaska cruise 15 months in advance. Check out cruise fish. It is a site that allows you to enter your cruise and cabin type and it emails you if the rate goes down. No work needed!! I know Most cruise lines will lower your price up to final payment if the rate goes down

The best time is last minute (within 90 days of sailing) as they try to fill empty cabins. BUT, airfare will cost you a lot more in that time frame, so consider that as well.

Otherwise, as previous poster said, my advise is buy as early as you can and watch for sales, as the cruise lines will usually adjust your price downward if prices drop before final payment.

I booked my 1st Alaska cruise for next year last week. The cruise sails on July 13th 2015 . Same logic as others stated. I got to pick the room while I had a choice. If the price goes down hopefully NCL will match it.

We were able to book a Fjord tour in Seward on Cyber Monday that was buy one get one free! We booked our cruise early to take advantage of the lowest price offered for the cabin we wanted, then I could shop for sales like the one I just mentioned.

It's a wait and see game. No one has a crystal ball. Since you don't want to late book, then book now with an agent that has no cancelation fees, and keep track of pricing YOURSELF. Double book if two cruises are of interest. Just be fully aware of any reservations with nonrefundable deposits etc, but many don't have those fees.

An alternative, I have used sevearl times is to block time. I travel for extended time and can snag several late booked deals. An example would be to plan on a least 2 weeks which would offer you the option of 4 + cruises. Then late booking based on price, with knowing how you would spend your extra days and being able to book quickly. (I booked a July cruise a week and a half prior, then added a Lake Clark bear watch and got my hotels all lined up easily, added a Kenai/Anchorage/Fairbanks flight)

I book early.

I watch to see if the prices drop.

Remember, lower price, higher price and better located rooms in all categories go first.

Wait long enough and all the lower price rooms are gone so if price is the motivator you might pay more because a lll that is left is higher price rooms and even at a discount you missed out at the lower price categories.

Keith

I booked this March for June, 2015 on Celebrity. Our cabin has gone up $800 since then. In June I paid $100 more to secure the 123 go beverage package.

I say if the price is good go for it and I don't make final payment until next March so anything can happen.

We booked our Alaska cruise 18 months ago (we sail in 2 weeks) and the price has only gone up, it's currently over $2k more for our family of 4 than what we paid same category.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Also check different dates if you can be flexible.we choose mid may next year because it was quite a bit cheaper then summer. we looked at prices and it jumps a lot just four weeks from our sailing.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Get on the mailing lists of a number of the travel agencies that do big business selling Alaska cruises.

If you can be flexible on timing, you can pick up some great last minute deals at rock bottom prices where they practically give away the cabins, just to avoid sailing with empty cabins.

If you qualify for any of the special categories that periodically offer discounts, that helps too.

Otherwise, as others have posted, just book early and keep watching for sales and price drops.

The problem with doing it that way is that if you are already booked, you are typically not eligible for the best rates that are offered at the last minute, and the penalty is too great to cancel and rebook after final payment.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello. It's been a long time since I have booked an Alaska cruise... over 20 years! My new husband and I want to start making plans for a 2015 cruise -- don't know when -- either at May's end to sometime in June. We are flexible.

- When do you start looking for the best discounts for 2015?

- Do the cruise lines have special sales on an annual basis for Alaska? I get bombarded with cruise offers for THIS year... but when do the sales for 2015 start publishing, and become discounted?

- Are there special sites that you use to get deep discounts?

I am a past cruiser with NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess, Carnival & Disney.

I know about last minute cruise deals. I don't want to play thing that close. For work purposes, we need to plan ahead and arrange time off.

Info about us... we are a newlywed couple in our late 40's, mid 50's. My 2nd time to Alaska, his 1st. He gets seasick but the patch worked. Going alone as a couple -- like a 2nd honeymoon. We are both chubby -- NOT the hiking, adventure type. More scenery, wildlife, fun type.

Suggestions for us?

Thanks in advance.

I know RCI is offering 2nd passenger sails for 1/2 price, we booked for July 2015 and got in on that deal, I confirmed pricing with my TA at Avoya!