First cruise in 11 years. Any advice?

benjaminhuf

My only other cruise in my life was with my whole family 11 years ago on Celebrity. We took a West Coast trip on Infinity from San Francisco to Canada and thoroughly enjoyed it. Somehow I thought we'd cruise more often, but....Anyway, my wife and now-adult son can't get away for this one, but I've got a 24-hour courtesy reserve for myself and my daughter on Equinox for a Caribbean cruise on June 18th. We have a Concierge cabin on deck 10 near the library. The price seemed good—and then it soared by almost $200 a person a few hours after my reservation (!). But I think my courtesy reserve will lock in the price till I can buy it tomorrow. Seems like a wonderful trip. And I've been reading good reviews. I'm someone who tends to see more positives than negatives.

But, anyway, any tips for someone who was never a cruise expert to begin with, and is now thoroughly rusty? For instance, I'm sure I can figure it out, but how do I choose and book shore excursions? This probably sounds like a strange or stupid question, but sometimes can it work out just to walk to the beach and hang out and/or go for a swim?

Does that fancy coffee shop on board still have "free" pastries? Are they still just as good? Are they "ready" at a usual time?

Thanks in advance.

Best, Ben

PS My daughter is 15, well-mannered, quiet, and polite. But, I assume we aren't allowed in the speciality restaurants? That's ok, since I'm think the MDR will be just fine for us.

Edited by benjaminhuf

First, you can join the Roll Call for your cruise and talk to the others on your cruise about shore excursions and other things.

Second, yes, the price will be locked in for your hold.

Third, yes, the treats in Cafe al Bacio are still free and still delicious!! Often the MDR doesn't have anything on the menu that sounds good but CAB always does!

Need a bit more info on your ports and your interests to help with shore excursions. But, yes, most Caribbean ports do have beautiful beaches you can just walk to or take a short taxi ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Didn't see the part about your daughter. Yes, she will be allowed in the specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Helen! That's good news. She likes fancy food, and so I think she would like Silk Harvest, and maybe one of the others too. Do you have a favorite?

Our Roll Call is useless. ...no information sharing at all...only people signing up for cabin crawls and poker....I was hoping for shore excursion info and sharing tips etc but nope...so disappointed. Ugh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

So far the roll call for June 18th Equinox seems kinda quiet, but I imagine it will get more busy as we get closer. Someone there (Ray?) has posted some great pix of Equinox. Looks like an amazing ship.

I was stunned by how large and fancy Infinity was 11 years ago, but Equinox is even larger—and maybe even fancier?

So far the roll call for June 18th Equinox seems kinda quiet, but I imagine it will get more busy as we get closer. Someone there (Ray?) has posted some great pix of Equinox. Looks like an amazing ship.

I was stunned by how large and fancy Infinity was 11 years ago, but Equinox is even larger—and maybe even fancier?

Yes, it is both larger and fancier.

For more great pix, here is a link to Beyond Ships' 10 page photo tour of the Equinox.

Celebrity Equinox Tour page 1

Notice red link near bottom of each page that says

CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE THE TOUR

Enjoy!

Best advice is to just get on board and enjoy! We love Equinox.

There will be some teen activities on board....I seem to remember there being a 'get together' first day. Many teens seem to attend this to meet others.

Have a great cruise!

Ref excursions; you have 4 choices.

1. Book celebrities shore excursions; you'll find them on celebrities website in your cruise planner. This tends to be the most expensive option and the tours are often crowded but some people feel more comfortable booking through a company they know than a local one they don't.

2. Book an independent excursion. Will be a group tour with a set itinerary, like celebrities excursions, but usually booked through a local company. This takes out the middle man and is often cheaper. Plus you can read reviews on TripAdvisor and can know more about the company providing the tour.

3. Book a private tour. Again, using a local company can book a guide for just you and your daughter; or can arrange a private tour with others from your roll call. Will probably be as expensive if not more than celebrities but can customize your tour and get more 1 on 1 with your guide.

4. Can DIY - take a taxi to a beach, walk around the town, take a ferry and/or taxi to the activity you want to do.

What I like to do is go through celebrities excursions to see what there is to do in port. Then use the ports of call board/TripAdvisor to pick out a company to book a tour with or determine if DIY is feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ref excursions; you have 4 choices.

1. Book celebrities shore excursions; you'll find them on celebrities website in your cruise planner. This tends to be the most expensive option and the tours are often crowded but some people feel more comfortable booking through a company they know than a local one they don't.

2. Book an independent excursion. Will be a group tour with a set itinerary, like celebrities excursions, but usually booked through a local company. This takes out the middle man and is often cheaper. Plus you can read reviews on TripAdvisor and can know more about the company providing the tour.

3. Book a private tour. Again, using a local company can book a guide for just you and your daughter; or can arrange a private tour with others from your roll call. Will probably be as expensive if not more than celebrities but can customize your tour and get more 1 on 1 with your guide.

4. Can DIY - take a taxi to a beach, walk around the town, take a ferry and/or taxi to the activity you want to do.

What I like to do is go through celebrities excursions to see what there is to do in port. Then use the ports of call board/TripAdvisor to pick out a company to book a tour with or determine if DIY is feasible.

Sanger: Very helpful. Many thanks.

I've just put the $500 deposit on the cabin, and so this is beginning to seem more real. At Celebrity they were very helpful about changing the cabin from the Port to the Starboard side while still keeping the good rate with the resident discount. I just found out that the Port side is the smoking side of the ship, and even though deck 10 where we are is 2 decks down from where the smokers are, I could imagine that drifting into our veranda and spoiling things a bit. Thank goodness I figured that out and was able to fix it without cost.

To me, it seems like there's an advantage to working with Celebrity directly on things like this, but am I missing something? Is a TA better for some things? I imagine that's a complicated topic.

It's nice to see my daughter looking excited about this trip. I am too. Fun to have something like this to look forward to.

My daughter, like most teens, likes to play video games. Although I imagine I'll mostly be on the veranda or around the ship, I think I'm going to work on my Zelda and other games too while we're hanging out together. It would be fun to find other nerdy teens on the cruise who are nice and and interested in Zelda or other games she likes, but I'm not sure how to do that. She's shy, and so just sending her to the teen get-together (if such a thing exists) might not work. But maybe it's worth a try....?

I'm now looking at the official Celebrity excursions, which is a very long list. If by any chance anyone has any recommended "should do" things for these stops, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DAY/NIGHT

PORT/CITY

ARRIVAL

DEPARTURE

Sun Jun 18

Miami, Florida

3:30 PM

Mon Jun 19

Key West, Florida

7:00 AM

5:00 PM

Tue Jun 20

At Sea

Wed Jun 21

Costa Maya, Mexico

8:00 AM

5:00 PM

Thu Jun 22

Cozumel, Mexico

4:30 PM

Fri Jun 23

George Town, Grand Cayman

10:30 AM

6:00 PM

Sat Jun 24

At Sea

Sun Jun 25

Miami, Florida

Edited by benjaminhuf

If she goes to the first teen get together I am sure she will start chatting with others...she will not be committing herself to any other activities. Many teens after this meet don't want anything organising, they will just plan on meeting up by the pool etc..

Another opportunity to mix is via your role call . Ask on it if anyone else is cruising with teens. It can be really nice to board already having a first social activity planned (both for you and your daughter).

Ben you are in for a most wonderful treat?

Our 1st cruise was in 1987, after sailing on 7 diff lines, this November will be our 3rd cruise in a row on the Equinox! Excellent choice.

EW

Wallie: Thanks for the good words about the Equinox. It seems like an amazing ship. Do you have a favorite restaurant or favorite place on the ship?

If she goes to the first teen get together I am sure she will start chatting with others...she will not be committing herself to any other activities. Many teens after this meet don't want anything organising, they will just plan on meeting up by the pool etc..

Another opportunity to mix is via your role call . Ask on it if anyone else is cruising with teens. It can be really nice to board already having a first social activity planned (both for you and your daughter).

chemmo: Many thanks. How do I find out about the location and time of the first teen get together? Is that on the Celebrity site somewhere? As I mentioned, she's rather shy, and so it'll take some encouragement, but probably that's a good idea.

Since I see you're from the UK (++ another place my daughter would love to go to someday), are there any recommends for tea service? She loves tea, Earl Grey being her favorite (with just a touch of milk and sugar). But since this isn't Holland America, I assume that quality tea is not something that's that easy to find on Equinox? But maybe I'm wrong on that? I have no idea....:)

She likes fancy food, and so I think she would like Silk Harvest, and maybe one of the others too. Do you have a favorite?

Look at getting one of the 3/4/5 night speciality dinner packages, that is how we do it.

We have dined at all 3 on the Equinox, and each has something that is special. They just added Sushi on 5, we will try it in Nov. Friends just returned and said it was equally wonderful to the others. There is also the really, no, really good small plates at the GastroBar! Yes there is an additional fee, but the burger and flat breads are really, no, REALLY good.

are there any recommends for tea service? She loves tea, Earl Grey being her favorite (with just a touch of milk and sugar). But since this isn't Holland America, I assume that quality tea is not something that's that easy to find on Equinox? But maybe I'm wrong on that? I have no idea....:)

Oh my! Then she is in for a very special treat!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-cafe-al-bacio-and-gelateria

. If you favor tea, you can choose from over a dozen premium hot teas from the innovative Tea Forté including Estate Darjeeling, Vienna Cinnamon or Jasmine Green, and iced teas that include Pomegranate Blackberry and White Ginger Pear.

Absolutely blows Starbucks outta the building!

Oh my! Then she is in for a very special treat!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-cafe-al-bacio-and-gelateria

. If you favor tea, you can choose from over a dozen premium hot teas from the innovative Tea Forté including Estate Darjeeling, Vienna Cinnamon or Jasmine Green, and iced teas that include Pomegranate Blackberry and White Ginger Pear.

Absolutely blows Starbucks outta the building!

Wallie: That's great! I knew the fancy coffee and baked treat shop (which think was called Cova 11 years ago) did coffee, but I did not know that they also had lots of premium teas. Thanks. We will be going there daily each morning, I imagine. Can you just take a plate of treats, along with your tea and coffee, up to your room?

When you order room service the croissant, etc., come from the main kitchen and aren't probably the same quality? In other words, it's worth the trip, I'm guessing. Since my daughter is a Harry Potter fan, she likes to be part of hidden secrets and quests....

Edited by benjaminhuf

Pools on Equinox....

So it looks like there's a covered pool as well as an open pool area. To beat the crowds, is a morning swim in the pools possible? Can you do that first thing before breakfast? Are teens allowed in the indoor pool? What about sunset or nighttime swims?

Pools on Equinox....

So it looks like there's a covered pool as well as an open pool area. To beat the crowds, is a morning swim in the pools possible? Can you do that first thing before breakfast? Are teens allowed in the indoor pool? What about sunset or nighttime swims?

I believe the Solarium is adult only. The only time this is not true is on an Alaska cruise.

I believe the Solarium is adult only. The only time this is not true is on an Alaska cruise.

My dear wife is in the Solarium on the Equinox every morning about 7:30 - 8 A.M. She says there is hardly anyone there at that time. I'm sure there would be no problem taking a swim there with your teen age daughter. Even during the day there should be no problem as long as she is with you. Anyone who complains about a teen age girl with her father who is well behaved should be ashamed of themselves. As far as I know the Solarium is open after dark (I could be wrong).

The Adults only rule is only there to keep a bunch of rowdy ankle biters from ruining the quiet atmosphere for everyone else. I've seen pre-teens in the whirlpools fooling around and taking over keeping people who want to use them out.

They are removed eventually.

Cruised on the Equinox twice and going in 16 days for a third time.

Special places include the Mast Grill on deck ( great hot dogs and burgers no charge), Cafe al Bacio on deck 5 (cakes and cookies no charge plus specialty coffees fee and gelato fee), the Sunset Bar ( rear of ship outdoors on deck 14 ), the Solarium ( the indoor pool as mentioned ), the Oceanview Cafe ( buffet and outdoor seating area), and the Persian Gardens (spa). If you don't get free access there you can buy a cruise long pass as soon as you get on the ship ( it's about $100 p\p which gives you unlimited access (additional services extra)). The Equinox Theater is lovely. The exercise room is nice. BTW they have a scale there (stay away unless you want to ruin your cruise). You can also lay out on the Lawn or play bocce or croquet there.

Don't forget to go to the MDR and see the maitre'd to check on when and where you are dining.

BTW as far as DW and I are concerned there is no need to eat in the specialty restaurants. The MDR is very very good. In a 10 day cruise DW had lamb twice. What other cruise line does that?

I can see where you may want to get specialty sushi. We found the Tuscan Grill to be mediocre and not worth the added fee.

The Equinox is a beautiful ship and all the S-Class ships are a step above the Infinity.

I know you will have the trip of a lifetime. The only thing is you'll want to do it again with the whole family.very soon.

Edited by NordicPrince

And in the Solarium is the Aqua Spa Cafe for wonderfully made fruit an yogurt at breakfast. Then salad an Lite dishes at lunch.

Oh, and the best healthy option smoothies ever. Full of any kind of herbs you want to add.

My dear wife is in the Solarium on the Equinox every morning about 7:30 - 8 A.M. She says there is hardly anyone there at that time. I'm sure there would be no problem taking a swim there with your 15 year old daughter. Even during the day there should be no problem as long as she is with you. Anyone who complains about a 15 year old girl with her father should be ashamed of themselves.

The Adults only rule is only there to keep a bunch of rowdy ankle biters from ruining the quiet atmosphere for everyone else. I've seen pre-teens in the whirlpools fooling around and taking over keeping people who want to use them out.

They are removed eventually.

Cruised on the Equinox twice and going in 16 days for a third time.

Special places include the Mast Grill on deck ( great hot dogs and burgers no charge), Cafe al Bacio on deck 5 (cakes and cookies no charge plus specialty coffees fee and gelato fee), the Sunset Bar ( rear of ship outdoors on deck 14 ), the Solarium ( the indoor pool as mentioned ), the Oceanview Cafe ( buffet and outdoor seating area), and the Persian Gardens (spa). If you don't get free access you can buy a cruise long pass as soon as you get on the ship ( it's about $100 p\p which gives you unlimited access (additional services extra)).

The Equinox is a beautiful ship and all the S-Class ships are a step above the Infinity.

I know you will have the trip of a lifetime. The only think is you'll want to do it again with the whole family.very soon.

NordicPrince: Thanks for letting me know about this possible "grey area" for the solarium pool. When I was a little kid my Mom used to say to me, "Just ask! The worst that could happen is that they could say 'no.'" Keeping that in mind, we could always politely try for the Solarium, and if someone says no to us we could always just swim in the other pool, which is probably on the same level anyway.

And in the Solarium is the Aqua Spa Cafe for wonderfully made fruit an yogurt at breakfast. Then salad an Lite dishes at lunch.

Oh, and the best healthy option smoothies ever. Full of any kind of herbs you want to add.

Oh my gosh, that sound luxurious. So after your swim you can get a gourmet snack? Yum! When do they open there?

Ben,

I will give you my favorite excursion of all time on your trip. In Cozumel..... Nachi Cocum beach club. http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/

It is not crowded, the club is not too far from the ship and they have great food and beverages for both you and your daughter. Great beach day away from crowded Cozumel and all of their nonsense.

Howard