Dubrovnik - confused!

Maybe it's me. but I am confused and know that the experts on this borad will be able to help me.

Here goes:

Is it possible to see the Old Town of Dubrovnik without actually walking the walls? In other words, do the gates let you in or do you need to climb the walls? I understand that this is one of the easiest ports to do without a scheduled tour.

Would it be recommended to take a taxi tour of the panorama view and then enter the city?

thanks!

Edited by Larainerenee

It's been recommended to take a taxi from the port to the cable cars which is our 1st destination. Any idea re cost? We are there from 2 - 9 and want to do the walk the wars and Stradun afterwards. Just trying to figure out a tentative budget. How much time would it take if we walked?

Maybe it's me. but I am confused and know that the experts on this borad will be able to help me. Here goes: Is it possible to see the Old Town of Dubrovnik without actually walking the walls? In other words, do the gates let you in or do you need to climb the walls? I understand that this is one of the easiest ports to do without a scheduled tour. Would it be recommended to take a taxi tour of the panorama view and then enter the city? thanks!

Yes, as noted by Paul, you do not need to walk the wall in Dubrovnik. You can just go in the gate as shown below, walk around, soak up the great charm, architecture and history.

We did the Panoramic Tour both to connect us to the historic, walled city, plus get a nice introduction to the area, see the region from the high mountains above. See more below. Cost?: As I recall when we were there it was 50 euro for this tour. For the four of us, that worked well and was about the cost if four of us had taken the cable car up and back.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 14,736 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 128,412 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city. From here, you can get a cab that will take you back to the port and your ship. Sharing the cab, makes it nice and affordable.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

This is the view of the Sponza Palace and the Clock Tower from the 15th Century. Both sit at the end of the Stradun.:

DubvMainSquareTower.jpg

Here is the memorial cross to those lost in the early 1990’s civil war that is located near the Cable Car station at the top. Our cab driver lost a number of family members in those tragic battles. In the background, left, you can see some of the coast and islands south of Dubrovnik, plus the roadway zig-zagging back and forth that we used to take us up to this dramatic and scenic location.:

DubrMtsCrossNearCableCar.jpg

It's been recommended to take a taxi from the port to the cable cars which is our 1st destination. Any idea re cost? We are there from 2 - 9 and want to do the walk the wars and Stradun afterwards. Just trying to figure out a tentative budget. How much time would it take if we walked?

Two hours is a good, rough estimate on the time needed to walk the wall. Much depends on how crowded (number and size of ships in port that day), plus how hot it would be that day, your pace of walking, etc. We were fortunate that day to be the only ship in port and have a nice breeze on a day with upper 70's.

We super loved the experience, great sights, etc. Wonderful!! To prove it, below is some of my photo "evidence".

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 128,412 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

Here is Fort Lovrijenac or St. Lawrence Fortress. It is often called "Dubrovnik's Gibraltar" for the fortress and theater located outside the western wall of Dubrovnik. It is famous for its importance in resisting rule by Venice. Early in the 11th century the Venetians attempted to build a fort on the same spot where Fort Lovrijenac currently stands. If they had succeeded, they would have kept Dubrovnik under their power, but the people of the city beat them to it.

DubrovFortStLawrence_zpsa40c675c.jpg

As seen from the high wall, here is Onofrio’s Large Fountain that sits near the Pile Gate and a church.:

DubvWaterRoundPileGate.jpg

Here is a view from the Dubrovnik wall as it rises along the rocks, overlooking the water of the Adriatic Sea.: Facing the Adriatic Sea, this is one of the gates and passages along the walled walk. Very scenic!!:

4aDubrWallWalkGateWaterView.jpg

From the wall walk, this is one view of a church tower, palms, etc.:

3DubvChurchDomePalms.jpg

Along the Dubrovnik wall, here is a view of swimmers enjoying the Adriatic Sea from one of the Buza Bars where people can hang out, have a drink and swim. You reach these cliffs from one of the streets behind the Dubrovnik cathedral. Translated into English, Buza means "hole", alluding to the passage or a door in the City walls:

DubrovSwimmerBelowWall.jpg

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply and your photos are gorgeous. So excited!

Two hours seems reasonable as we are early 50's and daughter is 22yrs. Any idea re cost of taxi from the port!? If we were to walk to the cable cars, how much time would that take ?

Hi Terry, Thanks for your reply and your photos are gorgeous. So excited! Two hours seems reasonable as we are early 50's and daughter is 22yrs. Any idea re cost of taxi from the port!? If we were to walk to the cable cars, how much time would that take ?

Appreciate your nice comments on my pictures. The credit belongs to Dubrovnik and its wonderful, super scenic location. From our June 2011 experience, the cab connection between the port and western gate costs 10 euro per car load. Or, the same price in going back from the historic area to the ship/port. In walking to the cable car, it is not that long of a walk, but the key question is about how long you will have to wait there to go up. And come back down. That's the big "mystery" depending on the number of people/ships in the port that day, weather and time of day.

We will be there in June with 8,000 + cruise passengers in port. Don't arrive until 11. We booked a private tour and are very much looking forward to seeing and learning about Dubrovnik.

My question is whether or not it is worth walking 1/2 of the walls around 4 PM. Know we will have a great day but wonder if we would regret missing the walls.

Concerned about lines and crowding.

Don't know if our guide could purchase the tickets in advance.

The ship is scheduled to leave at 6:30 so thinking we should be back around 5:30.

We will be there in June with 8,000 + cruise passengers in port. Don't arrive until 11. We booked a private tour and are very much looking forward to seeing and learning about Dubrovnik. My question is whether or not it is worth walking 1/2 of the walls around 4 PM. Know we will have a great day but wonder if we would regret missing the walls. Concerned about lines and crowding. Don't know if our guide could purchase the tickets in advance. The ship is scheduled to leave at 6:30 so thinking we should be back around 5:30.

Good questions!! Getting there later, might, maybe, if, if, mean that some of the crowds will tire out and leave, allowing you some better options for to walk half of the wall in mid afternoon. Walking half of the wall could work well. Don't need to walk all around, especially if things are busy and your schedule is tight.

Is is worth it? Much depends on your personal likes. Some people are more focused on shops and shopping. Others, like me, focus on and love great scenic locations, getting good pictures, etc. Personally, the wall walk was a top highlight here for me. Other questions, reactions?

Maybe it's me. but I am confused and know that the experts on this borad will be able to help me.

Here goes:

Is it possible to see the Old Town of Dubrovnik without actually walking the walls? In other words, do the gates let you in or do you need to climb the walls? I understand that this is one of the easiest ports to do without a scheduled tour.

Would it be recommended to take a taxi tour of the panorama view and then enter the city?

thanks!

The old part of town is within the city walls, they were built to protect the town from invaders and in some parts are 25 meters high. There are two entrances, the eastern side is called Ploce and the western is called Pile. There is no fee to enter the town, but a fee for the walking the walls and cable car.

You have the option of a taxi panorama tour, hiring a guide or just wandering the town on your own. It is your decision which is the best choice.

We will be travelling here in Nov, it looks a wonderful place and a must to see. Will we be able to use Euro, Dollar or will it have to be local currency

YES!! Dubrovnik not only "looks" wonderful but it is. On currency, many places for dining and shopping take credit cards. Not all, however, do. For the wall walk, they will take either the local currency or a credit card. The cabs advertise prices in euros. For our visit, we did not need to have the local currency. Some places might take dollars or euros, but you have to watch out on what type of exchange rate they will use.

Enjoy your November visit. Should not have the crowds or heat at that time. You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on Dubrovnik and many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 14,795 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Great pics Terry as usual. We actually plan on visiting the St Lawrence fort as well as the walls this July. The fort is actually covered by the same ticket as the walls.

Riversedge: Amazing photos' date=' Terry.[/b'] Our anticipation rate was already high but your pictures made us all the more excited. Thank you for a wonderful post.

Appreciate the nice, kind comments on my pictures It's the beauty of Dubrovnik that makes the positive difference.

On Fort Lovrijenac or St. Lawrence Fortress, I remember somebody telling me that this design had been done or had a connection with Leonardo da Vinci. But, I have not been able to get any confirmation on this fact. Most forget that da Vinci did lots of war-related designs for the rich and powerful families/rulers in certain parts of Italy at that time. Let us know any added info you get on the "da Vinci connection" for these historic sites in Dubrovnik.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 128,494 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

We were there 2 weeks ago. The cab fare is still 10 euros from the port to the gate. Our cruise line was offering a shuttle that was more expensive... so we were happy with our cab (and we got to the gate faster than anyone else!)

Our friends took the cab driver up on an offer to give then a tour of the countryside on the way in, they said it was well worth it.

We walked 2/3 of the walls and really enjoyed it. We noticed that at lunch time, there were far fewer people on the walls, so that's when we went.

We ate the best pizza and gelato there!

Enjoy!

We will be travelling here in Nov, it looks a wonderful place and a must to see. Will we be able to use Euro, Dollar or will it have to be local currency

You will need Croatian Kuna to enter any of our historical sites. Cable car and city wall will take credit cards. Exchanging US dollars here is possible, as payment the law forbids accepting them. Best to use local currency. As a side note, you need to be prepared for much shorter opening hours beginning on 01 November. Also many outdoor cafes will be closing down as it is the beginning of our winter hibernation.

Along the Dubrovnik wall, here is a view of swimmers enjoying the Adriatic Sea from one of the Buza Bars where people can hang out, have a drink and swim. You reach these cliffs from one of the streets behind the Dubrovnik cathedral. Translated into English, Buza means "hole", alluding to the passage or a door in the City walls:

DubrovSwimmerBelowWall.jpg

Thanks for the wonderful pictures. We'd love to go to the Buza Bar shown above. Hopefully someone can provide directions? :)

Thanks for the wonderful pictures. We'd love to go to the Buza Bar shown above. Hopefully someone can provide directions? :)

Walk the sea side of the city wall, you will see both Buzas from above. You can also pick up a map at our local tourist bureau office which shows both locations.

Walk the sea side of the city wall, you will see both Buzas from above. You can also pick up a map at our local tourist bureau office which shows both locations.

Dubrovniktravelady,

Your advice is most helpful. What should we do first, walk the walls or take the cable car. I guess we have to measure the difference between it being very hot later in the day and potential queues of visitors.

Lovely pictures.

I lived in Croatia a while back and used to have the odd long week in Dubrovnik at the Excelsior Hotel and Spa & Villa Agave, it was a lovely 5 star hotel and the views and service was great. Walking into the old town and having a bite to eat and a few drinks at night was wonderful and we ate some good seafood for sure. It is actually one of my favourite places in Croatia.

Ironically at that time, the only thing we didn't like was when the cruise ships came in, as it spoiled the view:p

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Dubrovniktravelady,

Your advice is most helpful. What should we do first, walk the walls or take the cable car. I guess we have to measure the difference between it being very hot later in the day and potential queues of visitors.

Weather and crowds will help you decide. Late June should be hot and humid, up to you which is the easiest to do first.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me conclusively how high the cliff at Buza 1 is? Buza 1 is the highest of the 2 cliffs outside the Old City Walls that jumpers use. I have heard many different heights - from 30 meters to 70 feet. What is the actual height?

Thanks for any help!