Panasonic DMC-FZ200

c230k

Was seriously thinking of getting new 16-300 Tamron zoom ($630) for my ancient Nikon D40 but now I'm wondering if this bridge camera is the way to go.

Look at Graham Houghton's videos to see all of the settings that you can use if you want to be more than a point and shoot user of this camera!

A question for you experienced FZ200 users re photographing wildlife, birds, etc. I've had my FZ200 for a few months now (I'm a Nikon DSLR shooter but can't carry that weight everywhere now) and have been watching Houghton's great videos, and practicing, etc. The camera is quite impressive, particularly taking photos outdoors of things that are not moving.

Here's my question -- I know this camera can't replace a DSLR for things like wildlife, other moving animals, flying birds, etc., but what tips can you give me for improving my chances of capturing some good images of such subjects? Obviously, I'm using burst mode, but a key problem seems to be the EVF -- unlike with the viewfinder on a DSLR, where I'm used to seeing everything in real time, after I press the shutter on the FZ200, there's a little bit of delay before you see through it "live" again, by which time the animal or whatever has moved out of view. Perhaps I'm not explaining the issue precisely, but the point is that it's a little difficult to track the subject and thus capture a good image. I feel as though the good images of moving subjects that I've gotten with the FZ200 are more luck than anything else, whereas with a DSLR, I can see what I'm shooting in a way I can't here.

All help appreciated; thanks!

Set the camera to S (Shutter Priority Mode) by turning the top mode dial and then use the back control wheel to dial in a shutter speed of 1/1000sec or faster. ISO should be set to the minimum the lighting level which will support an aperture of f2.8 to f4. Use center weighted exposure metering mode. Use AFC Auto Focus Style and Single Point AF Mode then use the focus button on the lens barrel to allow you to set the position and size of the target by using the cursor buttons and the rear control dial. Using the continuous AF mode allows the camera to continually re-focus as the bird continues to move during the time to shutter button is being depressed.

Hope this works for you.

Tom :cool:

Reading back through the thread there was mention about indoor photos. Well here are a few links to some which contain quite a few which were taken onboard ships, no flash and just using AI.

Oceania Marina Ship Visit - 7 June 2014

Costa Fortuna 28 March - 15 April 2014

These are just a couple of the places we visited on the last cruise

Wadi Rum - 8 April 2014

Petra - 8 April 2014

Port of Salalah - 3 April 2014

Costa+Fortuna+Cruise+2014+%2528747%2529.jpg

Is there a camera bag that works for the FZ200 and my extra stuff (filters, gorillapod, etc)

I use the SubUrban Disguise 10 bag from thinktank.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-camera-bags/sub-urban-disguise.aspx

They have alot of choices, and the quality is great, been using their bags for several years.

Tom :cool:

I finally decided and went with the FZ200. After reading this site over and over I changed my mind from an DSLR.

I have downloaded Graham Houghton information.

Any tips for a new person using this camera? It's a little overwhelming.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Betty

I am still getting used to the camera. I had an earlier version, so a little familiarity with it.

What I have done with this one is to take a lot of shots on Auto Intelligence and Auto Intelligence+. Then a lot of shots on the Scene modes.

I got Graham's book and I have gone thru it page by page with the camera in my lap. I have done that several times and underlined and wrote all over the book.

Then I made a "cheat sheet" spreadsheet with scenes, settings, and other info that I can carry with me.

It slowly is becoming more familiar. Also, I have been reading general camera books and that is very helpful.

I finally decided and went with the FZ200. After reading this site over and over I changed my mind from an DSLR.

Betty

Congratulations on your new camera.

Don't feel that you have to master it all at once. Take it slow and watch Graham's introductory videos. Start to learn the main settings and do a lot of shooting.

I'm a DSLR shooter and own this camera as well. There is so much packed into it that it takes a lot to learn where things are, buried in menus and dials. Frankly, the camera does a great job in the Intelligent Auto modes, so you should do well starting out there.

Enjoy!!

Edited by Turtles06

Betty

One additional "tip" for anyone looking for a cover or case for this camera, the "Op/Tech Digital D soft pouch,offset" fits perfectly. It's a spongy neoprene and great if you just want to have your camera out of a bag, on your shoulder, with a cover on it, or for protecting it in a bag when traveling, etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/289811-REG/OP_TECH_USA_7401034_Digital_D_Soft_Pouch.html

Congratulations on your new camera.

Don't feel that you have to master it all at once. Take it slow and watch Graham's introductory videos. Start to learn the main settings and do a lot of shooting.

I'm a DSLR shooter and own this camera as well. There is so much packed into it that it takes a lot to learn where things are, buried in menus and dials. Frankly, the camera does a great job in the Intelligent Auto modes, so you should do well starting out there.

Enjoy!!

I have to agree with that. I have had mine for quite a while now and started to take a video the other day on my sons boat and because I thought about it became quite confused between selecting video on the dial and operating the shutter release which has worked for me in the past, but I remembered there is a dedicated button for video and I was undecided which course to take, so did both in turn and it was not until I reached home and downloaded everything that I realised that either option worked very well. I will, however, read things over again. I havn't yet invested in a small gemstone to stick on the video button, but I may raid my wifes sewing basket one day when I am really bored.

• 3 weeks later...
Will these bottons work? :cool:

http://www.rluther.com/

They probably would. I have never been very keen to shoot video and always happy with still photography but with the FZ200 I have been much more enthusiastic. It does require a lot more planning. I was out this morning trying out a monopod with three dogs working in the undergrowth. After that will have to plan much more!

Edited by Hawks11
shot to shoot

Betty

Graham has mentioned and provided a link to Pete Shep's site and from the evidence he takes excellent shots with minimum fuss.

for some detail there is a drop down banner where he gives more detail.

H11

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a 17-day land trip throughout France, Switzerland, and Italy as the tour director for a high school jazz band. I LOVED using my FZ200!

A few pics:

Vienne, France:

14622405371_9dc38b8b8b_z.jpgP1130307 by suegee57, on Flickr

Geneva:

14438687610_f2a1d3ff53_z.jpgP1130386 by suegee57, on Flickr

Nyon, Switzerland:

14602588606_e23c6cd94c_z.jpgP1130449 by suegee57, on Flickr

Montreux, Switzerland:

14670982043_9b969a31fb_z.jpgP1130932 by suegee57, on Flickr

La Spezia, Italy:

14650655632_a17e7e2f23_z.jpgP1140045 by suegee57, on Flickr

Tuscania, Italy:

14510431327_68152fb6ca_z.jpgP1140565 by suegee57, on Flickr

A new camera FZ1000 available now. 4k video and wi fi, shorter 400 mm lens, only f4, but bigger sensor, pricey. I think know I will stick with my FZ200

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Agreed.

Subtchr: what setting were you using on the camera for that shot? (HDR night scene perhaps?)

Thanks! Actually, it was night scenery mode, and although I did not have a tripod, there was a very convenient post available to serve as one. I set the camera on the post, pushed the shutter with a 2 second delay, and let the camera do its thing! Turned into an 8 second exposure, and one of my favorite shots from the entire trip. Here's another taken just after that one, zoomed out a bit:

14464450408_81b1eae2e3_z.jpgP1140049 by suegee57, on Flickr

Edited by subtchr