Which Waterproof Camera do you recommend.....??

Goose, I am leaning toward the D20 as well... I like Canon's products and currently use an A560 and a SX50.

Here is the list I compiled for making my final choice. Ignore the "Xs". The number to the right of the camera is the cost back in late March.

Pentax WG-3 215 x x x x x x x

Panasonic Lumix TS4 195 x x x x x x x

Sony DSC-TX30 253 x x x x x x x

Olympus TG 830iHS 225 x x x x x x x

Canon D20 229 x x x x x x x

Steve

I also have an Olympus TG-2. When I was looking, it was one of only two that could handle the water depth I wanted without getting another case.

It's been a great camera for me out of the water as well. My only complaint is that sometimes it decides I don't need flash when I really want it, but slipping out of auto mode gets around that.

we HAD a D20 but it deteriorated in the water on our first cruise -- was not cool (we did get a refund but it sucked that we had no pics) -- this year -- we are going with a GO PRO HD3+ Black edition. its small, clips everywhere, and is amazing -- has a great low light CCD so underwater pics are clear and bright.

Another fan of the Olympus cameras. We have an Olympus Tough. Not sure of the model number but they each work about the same.

They are:

shockproof (dropping)

water proof (ok for swimming & snorkeling but not diving)

freezeproof (skiing).

New at places like Best Buy they're about $250-400. My daughter lost hers and we bought a brand new one on ebay just last week for $140.

For good evaluations of waterproof cameras (or any others) including many technical topics many may not understand, check out the following:http://www.dpreview.com/search/?query=underwater%20cameras&terms=underwater%20cameras

That is an excellent source for considering almost any camera(preview)

I use a Sealife ReefMaster...I dive, and can use this up to 200'. It's self contained, so I don't have to worry about putting it in a case. I definitely don't worry about it getting wet - it's supposed to! They have much bigger cameras (with bigger price tags!!!) but this is great for point and shoot. It even compensates for color loss in the water. Love it!

Good Morning!

I've been looking at purchasing a new waterproof camera and was wondering which one you recommend? Any help would be appreciated.

Jen :)

Hey Jen! Here is a link to a thread that I am in the middle of posting my review. Look at the bottom of page one and the top of page two. Those pics of the turtles and fish were taken with an Olympus TG-850. I highly recommend....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2050756

I recently purchased the Canon D20 for an upcoming Caribbean land based vacation. I have a friend with this camera and it takes awesome pictures, plus the reliability of being a Canon. I have a regular digital Canon which basically has the same specs except that it is not waterproof and it takes great pictures.

Amazon has the D20 for 215 right now. I think technically its a discontinued model as they recently released the D30. But unless you are diving to deep depths or are extremely clumsy, the D20 should be sufficient.

I personally use the Canon D10 and love it. Have used it since 2010. My wife and kids use the Fuji XP 50 and those also take good pics. You can see some of the water pics in my reviews if you want. I know the D10 is not the current model but you can sometimes find it or its next model the D20 at very reasonable prices.

Based on reviews from another CC thread, I purchased the Olympus TG-630 for our cruise last month. I love that camera! I have always shot with Canon, and I have a Canon DSLR, so I was leaning towards the D20, but I didn't really want to shell out that much for something that I felt would be "just an underwater camera."

Well, I love that thing. The underwater pics are great, and the presets for other pictures are really great. I also like all the little magic filters it has. I generally either use my DSLR or iPhone for pics, but I'm very happy to have this camera as an "in between." And like I said, the water pics are great. We've been using it this summer at our pool, too! This model only goes to 16 ft underwater, but we're not scuba divers or anything, so it's fine for our needs.

I too have an Olympus tg 2. Very versatile both under water and for general picture taking. It went to the rain forest of Borneo and performed well. Lots of bells and whistles. A new tg3 is coming this month

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Based on reviews from another CC thread, I purchased the Olympus TG-630 for our cruise last month. I love that camera! I have always shot with Canon, and I have a Canon DSLR, so I was leaning towards the D20, but I didn't really want to shell out that much for something that I felt would be "just an underwater camera."

Well, I love that thing. The underwater pics are great, and the presets for other pictures are really great. I also like all the little magic filters it has. I generally either use my DSLR or iPhone for pics, but I'm very happy to have this camera as an "in between." And like I said, the water pics are great. We've been using it this summer at our pool, too! This model only goes to 16 ft underwater, but we're not scuba divers or anything, so it's fine for our needs.

I too am just looking for this camera basically for U/W shots... I have a Canon SX50 that I use as my regular camera and certainly not looking to replace a 50X optical zoom capability with a point/shoot. :) Will have to check out this to see if it has the specs I am looking for...

Steve