Mosquitos?

Cruisegirl6

I vacation in Aruba every year. There have been a few times that I have noticed mosquitoes. This usually only gets bad when it has rained a lot. I always take bug spray, but have only needed it a few times. My advice would be to put on some bug spray before you go out to dinner if you will be eating outside. You probably won't need it, but better safe than sorry. Some restaurants, such as Madame Janette's, actually have bug spray available in the bathrooms.

Don't bail out. As I said, we've only encountered mosquitoes a few times, and it hasn't been bad at all. It only happens when there has been a lot of rain, and you are not going during the rainy season, so you should be fine. Just take some bug spray as a precaution. We have a lot more mosquitoes here at home in July than you'll ever find in Aruba. Aruba is awesome. Don't miss it. You might not have any mosquitoes at all.

I also wanted to let you know that there are tons of great restaurants that have indoor dining. I have friends who don't like to eat outside and always eat inside for the air conditioning when they are in Aruba. Lots of restaurants offer both indoor and outdoor seating. Restaurants on the beach like Passions and Barefoot always have a good breeze, so they are less likely to ever have mosquitoes. I would stay away from the inland restaurants like Madame Janettes if that's a problem for you. Although the food is outstanding, the restaurant is inland and set in a garden. Quinta Del Carmen is equally as good and has indoor and outdoor dining. I believe that you mentioned that you are staying in Palm Beach. There are tons of good indoor restaurants right there. As I said before, unless you have a ton of rain (which is unlikely), you probably won't notice any mosquitoes. However, I would stay away from Renaissance Island because it does get mosquitoes from time to time. Other than these places that I have mentioned, you should have no problem at all. Due to the constant trade winds, Aruba probably has less mosquitoes than most of the other tropical islands.

Thank you to all for the reassurance, I think I am a bit more on edge lately about things because I just was diagnosed with having the bad type of lupus and just don't want anymore problems as I am so allergic to mosquitos, and dealing with so many other medical issues but you reassured me on things...I won't go to Madam Janettes, my family can go there and my other half and I will find another restaurant indoors. We do have reservations for Barefoot and I am sure your right with the winds I be fine. I give you all a great big hug for your help, truly appreciate it, thank you so very much. Hugs.

Glad to help. Seriously though, if you go to Quinta Del Carmen and or Chalet Suisse, you haven't missed much by skipping Madame Janettes. We took it off our must do list several years ago. There are so many great restaurants that you just can't get to them all. Quinta Del Carmen is all the rage right now:) Also, Screaming Eagle is great and they have indoor seating. Just go and have fun. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Lots of Mosquitos when we were there in December; we were all bitten, and I saw a few people with horrible bites. Also been bitten a lot on one June trip.

But, we weren't using mosquito repellent. Suggest you bring some and you should be fine.

Also, I'll never go back to Madame Jeannette's. You won't be missing anything.

Edited by 6rugrats

Thank you again! I am not going to Madam Jeanettes, my other half and I will have a nice dinner somewhere else while the rest of the family that wants to go there can still go. :) How you doing Haateras?

6rugrats love the name lol....I will be prepared, even with mosquito bracelets lol.

Edited by lyndamr

Lots of Mosquitos when we were there in December; we were all bitten, and I saw a few people with horrible bites. Also been bitten a lot on one June trip.

But, we weren't using mosquito repellent. Suggest you bring some and you should be fine.

Also, I'll never go back to Madame Jeannette's. You won't be missing anything.

Funny how the weather changes. There wasn't much rain when we were there in Feb. and no one in our group was bitten at all. We never used any bug spray.

Thank you again! I am not going to Madam Jeanettes, my other half and I will have a nice dinner somewhere else while the rest of the family that wants to go there can still go. :) How you doing Haateras?

I'm doing great. I just got home from my my precious neice's beautiful wedding:). Enjoy your cruises and your trip to Aruba! I'm jealous!!;);)

My friend that I went to high school their son got married also. The wedding wasn't up in NY was it? Thats great news hearing your niece being married this past weekend and that you all had a wonderful time...its nice when family gets together for the good times. I am not going to my Aruba land trip yet, that is in mid July but my cruise on the Valor is coming up a week from friday, and we will be docking in Aruba. If you like, you can get a trunk and I take it with me, I do have room for you to sleep out on the balcony lol. ;) Honestly, I am looking forward to the Aruba trip we have heard so many positive things about it and the restaurants seem to be amazing, its difficult to choose where we will go but we decided and made reservations.

From our experience in 20+ trips to Aruba we have always traveled with repellent. We have used the repellent once years ago and will replace the bottle we bought a year or two again before we ever have to use it. Think of bringing it along as added insurance, good old Murphy's Law. ;)

Our last trip over Christmas and New Years we ate every single breakfast, lunch and dinner outdoors for the period of two weeks. Even during rainy season, not one of the five of us in our family received a bite.

Go and enjoy!

Actually, in Aruba this temperature doesn't vary much during the year. There is a better chance of mosquitoes during the rainy season, which typically runs from Sept. - Dec. The wedding that I went to was here locally. We had monsoon rain and cold yesterday but the sun came out mid day today and it turned out to be a beautiful day for an outside wedding. I knew that your Aruba trip isn't until July, but I saw on your signature that your cruise is coming up very soon. I wish that I could stow away in your trunk :rolleyes:.

Hello Arubalisa, I agree "winter months/colder months" will have no mosquito's but going in July is high mosquito season.

Yes, as others have said, it is the opposite.

November to January is rainy season with the POSSIBILITY of more mosquitos.

June, July, and August are among the driest months with, on average, no more than 1 inch of rain. July also has an average wind speed of 19 mph and average maximum wind speed 36 mph to blow any mosquito clear to South America. ;)

The one time we had bugs and needed to use our spray was September during a period of rain and lighter than normal winds. :)