Monte Carlo information please.

indiana123

We were thrilled to be going to Monte Carlo.

Can you tell me whether the dock is close by please, and whether you can just stroll around at leisure. I have looked up the excursions but they seem to be all walking and bus.

We are fine walking but wouldn't want to be in a big group and rushing... we would have problems keeping up!!!:):rolleyes:

There is only one berth; we had it on Oceana but when I went there on Azura we had to tender in and there was a very long queue to tender back. I went on one of the guided tours which walk around the place and give you time in the gardens and to see the changing of the guard at the Palace. I have also done the Grand Prix tour where you are driven round the course which was a bit different!

It is quite easy to walk around on your own too. A good route is to head uphill from the berth or the tender dock through the gardens. You can take the hill slowly and there are plenty of seats and places to stop and look at the many sculptures and wonderful views. At the top of the gardens you come out near the Palace. You can walk back down to the town and the shops, then back to the tender or berth, all in a morning. If you decide to stay ashore for lunch most places are quite expensive!

I've not been able to copy the link but if you Google 'Tom's port guides' and find Tom Sheridan's site and look for 'Ports' he has an excellent and very comprehensive guide on Monte Carlo which you might find useful. It's a free download. There are lifts if you feel they would help thus avoiding a fair climb to the higher level.

Thank you for your replies.

That is good news if there are some lifts. We can walk miles on the flat, its the hills that would get us.

Mind you, I suspect that just being in Monte Carlo has an atmosphere all its own, even if we decide not to stray too far....

We were in Monaco a couple of weeks ago. The lifts were a godsend as my husband is a wheelchair user and there would have been no way we could have got up to the palace and cathedral. As stated in an earlier post try looking at toms cruise guide or alternatively try Sage travel as he has pictures to go with the map. Enjoy your trip it is a fantastic place to visit.:)

Monaco is tiny and no bigger than a small town. The lifts are a godsend but can be tricky to find however there is a tourist information place right next to were you dock. For a taste of the high life go to the Cafe de Paris, it's a tad expensive but you can sit there in the center of Monaco and watch endless luxury and sports cars just cruise by.

If you want something to brag about when you get home book a table at The Hotel de Paris for lunch. Again not cheap but easily done and the Garden restaurant is affordable as a one off with no strict dress code during the day. Bookings can be made online via the hotels web site.

Have just checked cruisett.com and Adonia is the only ship in port in Monaco so we should be tied up alongside.,also only Adonia in Liverno and Tangiers .in Lisbon there is Costa Fortuna,Prinsendam,and Windstar moored as well.Barcelona has Costa Fortuna again,and CostaFavalosa moored. In civitaviccia has Queen Elizabeth, moored and in La Coruna has Queen Victoria moored,

Edited by Paul1924

Thank you everybody.

Glad I asked. I always ask and it really helps. I have a friend who very loudly and forceably tells me I must spoil every holiday just because I look on google for information, ie I knew how embarkation worked, I knew the rules before cruising.

He reckons half the fun is finding out the culture and rules when you get to places. That's wasting my precious time and enjoyment. It was he who got chucked out of a well to do Paris hotel because he loudly complained when they didn't have pizza and chips. Now he hates the French (sorry I am rambling)

I strongly disagree with him and he gets very annoyed. I probably would not have known about the lifts and escalators without CC.

I did Monaco Xmas 2012 on QE, we used the tender and was one of the first to disembark with my daughter. We did not book any excursions or transport, using the whatsinport.com website (which I used to plan all my trips with).

We walked the whole of Monaco, starting with the old town, the palace, the gardens, down to the seafront walking the race track course, up to Hotel de Paris and had tea at Cafe de Paris, then looked at the shops. We then went on to the beach for an hour and then walked back to the tender point (Via the Christmas Market and funfair).

We left the ship at 8.00 and got back at 4.30 and loved every minute. This is one of the best ports of call I have been to!!

Edited by HellouB