When renting golf carts what do you do?

Soccrmom65

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This was posted on another thread about using golf carts in Bonaire. We headed there in a couple of weeks and we plan on doing this.

Donkey Sanctuary, the Sea Salt "mining", the slave huts(both white and red), the light house, Lac Bay and oh so many Flamingos

We have a group of seven couples renting golf carts and I know they give you an island map but was wondering what others have done when you rented a cart. We want to see the island and have a good snorkeling walk in beach. Any info appreciated.

Where can you rent golf carts and do you know the rental price? Sounds like something fun to do since this is really not much of a beach island from what I am reading.

Hi

We've booked a golf cart for our day in Bonaire in September. Just email Debbie: info@bonairecruisers.com

This is the immediate reply we got back from her:

Thank you for your interest in renting a Golfcart.

A 2 seater is $90

A 4 seater is $ 100 max 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children

Deposit is $100

Price is inclusive gasoline, insurance, taxes and an island map.

Rental time is till your Ship leaves or till dark around 7pm.

Don't forget to bring your drivers license.

Explore bonaire in a golf cart is the best way to see all the highlights

Bonaire has to offer on your own pace. Don't forget to bring your snorkel gear.

If you want to make a reservation. Just confirm via this email.

If there are 2 cruise ships in harbour. You find us in front of one of them at the street in a tent. If there is 1 ship in harbour you find us in front of that ship. On the street at north or south pier. In a tent where all the vendors selling their tours. It's a 5 min walk between north & south pier. Some ships dock south some north.

We accept credit cards or cash. Only not American Express.

You pay deposit and rental fee at the rental day.

We reserve the cart(s) till 2 hours after your ship docked.

If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked Bonaire Cruisers for Jan 2018 as Twizzy was already full...Hans only has five electric cars so you will need to book early! Good luck!

You might want to look into Twizy tours. It is a guided tour but so much fun. Road Runner is the company name. Hans is the owner and a wonderful guide.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

A little more info for those interested!

Bonaire Cruisers Golf Cart Rentals Nov 2017

Communication with Debbie (owner) was immediate and pleasant. Her tent at the pier was exactly where she said. Directions were then given to walk to the location where the golf carts actually are kept. As I am somewhat limited in mobility, this would have been good to know ahead of time. Undeterred, we managed the short walk. There is no further signage which was also a little disconcerting, however we soon saw two smiling faces behind an unmarked desk and MANY golf carts. Apparently we were at the right place! $90 fee for the golf cart was now collected as was the $100 fully refundable deposit. We were given a rather poor, but typical tourist map and off we went. You really don’t need a map, there is essentially One Way! You can’t go too wrong. The golf cart itself was spectacular, well cared for and much, much speedier than your typical golf cart - I know, I drive them daily!

The ocean vistas are truly spectacular. Pull off to take photos though because you’re sharing the road with regular traffic! I’m definitely not used to sharing the way with a D8 Cat!! There was very little traffic and there is a rear view mirror in the cart. The salt flats, and slave huts are interesting to see as well. I wish I’d have done a lot more research on the islands history ahead of time. The road mostly all winds along the ocean and there are many pull offs for snorkeling. Eventually we came to Lac Bay and the Sorbon Beach Club. This is a very lovely and welcoming resort. Mariska at the front desk invited us to walk thru the resort gardens to the beach where they offer for you to stay for the day for a nominal $5 fee, or $10 with a lounger! Good deal so another time, I would cab straight to the resort. Lac Bay itself is gorgeous. A little ways further down the road is a hot spot for windsurfing with a little shop and restaurant.

We passed about 15 flamingoes and 8 donkeys on our route. We could have stopped at a donkey sanctuary along the way had we been interested. As every time we’ve been in Bonaire, it was scorching HOT! After three hours we were ready to return the jaunty cart. Debbie and Tamara were surprised to see us back and offered to let us use the cart further after we’d had a refreshment. We asked if there’d be a nice little restaurant nearby or if we should just get back on the ship. Tamara, ever so kindly and helpfully took us in a cart to Karel’s Beach Bar. Karels is the place right on the water that you can plainly see from the ship. Parched as can be, we welcomed the breeze, the spectacular view and the shade! Thank you and good suggestion Tamara. I gobbled up THE most delicious frozen mocha. Seriously, they called it World Famous, and for sure I’ll not forget it!! We also shared a dish of nachos which is probably not their most stellar dish. Nachos smothered in fake cheese product and A LOT of beef. The restaurant does have slow wifi depending on where you sit! There is about a one block walk back to the ship, thru the shops and market stalls. Careful on the sidewalks though.

All in all, it was a great day. I’m going home to learn about the salt mounds and the slave huts!

• 1 month later...
We have a group of seven couples renting golf carts and I know they give you an island map but was wondering what others have done when you rented a cart. We want to see the island and have a good snorkeling walk in beach. Any info appreciated.

We thought we would see the site, snorkel, have something to eat. But what we did was travel south, site see, take pictures it all took time. The golf cart went about 20-25 miles an hr. the beaches were very rocky with white corral the size of my finger, not sandy. When we got back to the city we couldn't find a parking spot so we could stop, shop & eat. We took the cart back just after 2 & they gave us a lift back to town . It was a fun day, hot, bring sun screen.

When we were traveling along the road we saw lots of snorkeling spots they were marked at the side of the road with a painted rock or a piece of drift wood with a name wrote on the wood,

Good luck & enjoy.

Just back yesterday from the Royal and rented a cart from Bonaire Cruisers. It was fabulous! We'll be back there in February and plan to do it again. The cart rental was $90 plus a $100 refundable deposit. They gave us a great map which we followed to see the island and some of the sights. The Donkey Sanctuary was a highlight. Very interesting and fun to drive through. We did also see a few wild donkeys in the fields. We stopped at Soronbon (spell?) Beach which is beautiful. The drive around the island also enabled us to see the Salt hills, flamingos in the wild, and beautiful shorelines. We did not take the entire North route as we were on limited time and will be back to do it.

We are just back from Bonaire and enjoyed the golf carts. We went south first enjoyed that portion of the island. The map provided was pretty easy to follow. We stopped a few times along the coral beaches, saw the salt plats, lots of flamingoes, 3 wild donkey, lizards, the bay beach where you can go windsurfing, then to town for lunch and then did the north route to 1000 steps. Looking back we would have spent less time at the other beaches and more time snorkeling at 1000 steps as that had the best snorkeling we have seen. Had some nice interactions with a couple sea turtles too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just back yesterday from the Royal and rented a cart from Bonaire Cruisers. It was fabulous! We'll be back there in February and plan to do it again. The cart rental was $90 plus a $100 refundable deposit. They gave us a great map which we followed to see the island and some of the sights. The Donkey Sanctuary was a highlight. Very interesting and fun to drive through. We did also see a few wild donkeys in the fields. We stopped at Soronbon (spell?) Beach which is beautiful. The drive around the island also enabled us to see the Salt hills, flamingos in the wild, and beautiful shorelines. We did not take the entire North route as we were on limited time and will be back to do it.

Were you allowed to drive thru the Donkey Sanctuary in the golf cart? I read somewhere that they didn't let golf carts drive thru because the donkeys were aggressive?

We drove the golf cart through the Donkey Sanctuary. The donkeys walked along with us sticking their heads into our laps looking for food. The donkeys are very aggressive especially when you buy a bag of carrots to feed them. At one point there were so many around us that we speeded up and they proceeded to run along with us to stay with their heads in the cart.

• 2 weeks later...

We drove the cart into the sanctuary as well as walked into the fenced off area. At first, being surrounded by 5 or six donkeys at once was surprising. But they were just curious, not agressive towards us. I got out of the cart and walked too. I agree that taking fresh food in as treats would encourage "rougher" behavior.

Just checking if 3 adults will work on one golf cart? the ones for 4 thanks

If the adult is willing to hold on the back, sure

Not any more unless one is very light. I asked about this today and this was her reply:

3 adults will be too wobbly! You drive on public roads.

Police don’t allow this anymore!

Only if the one on the backseat is skinny about 115 LBS

• 1 month later...

Are there taxis or another mode of transportation? There are 4 of us that will be going to a cemetery to pay respects to a relative. He passed away in an accident there 8 years ago and was buried in the cemetery near the Catholic cemetery. This is our first time visiting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

We did this in Bonaire and loved it. We of course got lost. We did manage to make it to the sandbar and visit multiple huts. It was a great time. Loved being able to just pull over where we wanted and hop off. Make sure you apply sunscreen. When riding in the back we got sunburned on the knees.

Sent from my iPad using Forums