Hong kong-stanley market

estebofarr

We took the Star Ferry (terminal is right next to the cruise terminal) to HK Island. Caught the bus right out side. Sorry I can not remember the bus number.

Also, if you are in HK for a couple of days, they have what is called an Octopus Card. It is good for all public trasportation. You just swipe it as you enter and leave. Eliminates the hassles of buyin multiple tickets. As we returned to the ship for the last time, we gave it to a worker in the mall.

We took the Star Ferry (terminal is right next to the cruise terminal) to HK Island. Caught the bus right out side. Sorry I can not remember the bus number.

Yep, from ferry terminal by the cruise terminal take the ferry to Central.

Then best bet is bus route 6. You'll need local currency, about 2HKD for the ferry, mebbe around 6HKD for the bus. Or that Octopus card.

I guess its also possible by taking the other ferry route, to Wan Chai, but I don't know about onward from there.

JB :)

Thank you both. I was in Hong Kong for a week about 25 years ago and don't really remember how I did it. Lots of walking. I didn't realize the Star ferry was near the cruise terminal. I seem to remember it being on the opposite end of Kowloon. I will bring some local money. Is there an ATM at the cruise terminal or do I need to obtain it ahead of time? Only there one day, this time. :(

Thank you again.

Edited by estebofarr

If there isn't an ATM at the cruise terminal, there should be some inside the mall and in the general area by the ferry terminal and along Canton Road. There is a bus exchange by the piers on central but the main exchange is at Exchange Square nearby. Take bus 15 or bus 6, 6A, 6X, 66 or 260(express) to get to Stanley.

There is at least one set of ATMs in the Mall. You will walk thru the mall going from the cruise ship to the Star Ferry.

On the way to Stanley Market, on the left side of the bus, you will pass a apartment complex with a hole in the middle. This is for the dragon that lives in the hills to fly thru. That was a concession the developers had to make to get approval.

I will have to get a picture of that! I love Hong Kong, just hope we get good weather. Is it worth a stop at Jumbo's for lunch or overpriced and touristy?

Definately touristy. Just a little over-priced. But a bit of fun as a one-off.

Not much good if you're on a tight schedule, it's a ...... errrrrrr....ummmmm .... a "tender port" ;), & waiting for a boat can foul up your timings.

At its best in the evening.

Sadly, in recent years HK is "misty" most days.

Same as L.A. was "misty" back in the 1970s/80s

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Cruise boats primarily berth at Ocean Terminal on the Kowloon side alongside the Star Ferry Pier, and occasionally at Freight berths in Kennedytown on HK Island .

From Ocean Terminal take the Star Ferry to Central (NOT Wanchai).

On arrival at Central ferry pier, take the elevator to the first floor walkway and head inland and after you pass the Post Office on this Upper walkway , look to the right for a walkway heading to the Central Bus terminal. It is signed Central bus Terminal >>>> on an overhead sign . You turn right go down an escalator to street level and the bus terminal is in the bowels of an Office building . (Just ask any local its called the Central Bus terminal.)

From here take bus # 629 for Ocean Park Aquarium (at 0935,0955,1015 only Daily); and bus # 6, 6X or 260 for the Fishing Village of Stanley and the famous daytime (from 10am) Stanley Market . Travel time Central to Stanley around 40 minutes .

(The buses you see at ground level at Central ferry pier serve are a different terminal and serve : # 15 for Victoria Peak, # 15C for the Lower Peak Tram Station (then Peak Tram) to the Peak .)

Edited by kuldalai

I was finally able to see a map, albeit a tiny one and we will be berthed at opposite end of Kowloon from what I had thought. Hours for our stay are 7am to 4pm. Perhaps I should skip Stanley market and just stick closer to Kowloon or Hong Kong side of Ferry for my shopping. I seem to remember there being shopping right at ferry drop off site. Is that still correct? My itinerary doesn't indicate it being a tender stop. Thankfully.

I remember the haze although we did have some beautiful days when I was there.

I was finally able to see a map, albeit a tiny one and we will be berthed at opposite end of Kowloon from what I had thought. Hours for our stay are 7am to 4pm. Perhaps I should skip Stanley market and just stick closer to Kowloon or Hong Kong side of Ferry for my shopping. I seem to remember there being shopping right at ferry drop off site. Is that still correct? My itinerary doesn't indicate it being a tender stop. Thankfully.

Just back. Stanley market is not worth a special visit. you can shop 'til you drop in Tsim Sha Tsui (lower Kowloon) along Salisbury and Nathan Roads.

Hong Kong you will berth at Ocean Terminal on the Kowloon side .

Ocean Terminal itself is a huge sterile shopping mall . You will however find the best prices and far more exciting to shop with individual traders in the depths of Kowloon a few streets in from the Ocean Terminal . Focus your shopping efforts on Nathan Rd, Hankow Rd and adjacent streets in Kowloon . All within easy walking distance of Ocean Terminal.

Market wise - the best markets in Hong Kong are :

Stanley Market, daytime on Hong Kong Island.

Jade Market - daytime in Jordan on Kowloon side .

Temple Street Night Market - nightly from 6pm on Temple St, Jordan on Kowloon side .

Edited by kuldalai

I was finally able to see a map, albeit a tiny one and we will be berthed at opposite end of Kowloon from what I had thought. Hours for our stay are 7am to 4pm.
So are you at Ocean Terminal, in Tsim Sha Tsui right next door to the Star Ferry? Or are you at the new cruise terminal at the end of the old Kai Tak airport runway?

Either way, if you only have 9 hours in Hong Kong I really wouldn't bother with Stanley Market. It would be a long way down most people's lists of things to do with one day in Hong Kong.

The bus ride to Stanley is half the fun, especially if sitting on the front upper row of the double decker bus. Hilly and windy roads passing expensive residences and beaches. There is seaside promenade with restaurants that you could easily miss if you don't exit the covered market. I'd recommend if you have two days or have been to Hong Kong before but eats up a lot of time on a short day visit.

The Ladies Market in Mong Kok is my favourite market with plenty of malls , shops, and restaurants in the area. Open late as well.

You will not have too much time for any shopping at the markets even though you have 9 hours in HK. The shops do not open till 10 am and the Ladies Market does not get going till 11 or noon at the earliest.

You can get all the information you need on this link:http://www.hongkongextras.com,

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you both. I was in Hong Kong for a week about 25 years ago and don't really remember how I did it. Lots of walking. I didn't realize the Star ferry was near the cruise terminal. I seem to remember it being on the opposite end of Kowloon. I will bring some local money. Is there an ATM at the cruise terminal or do I need to obtain it ahead of time? Only there one day, this time. :(

Thank you again.

If you are in the vicinity of Stanley Market, you should also try the Horizon Plaza outlets at Aberdeen (27 floors I think). That area is called Ap Lei Chau. Just take a taxi there, shouldn't cost much. Also try the Citygate Outlets at Tung Chung. It is on the MTR line for Disney (Lantau Island). I really enjoyed the shopping there last yr.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g294217-c151203/Hong-Kong:China:Horizon.Plaza.And.Space.Store.Outlets.html

Happy browsing/shopping. I am going to check out Horizon Plaza in Apr.

We enjoyed the bus ride to Stanley but were underwhelmed by the market. It would be very low down on my list. Just wandering around the waterfront and Nathan Road and taking the Star Ferry could fill a day.

Yes, I agree with Maryann, but see my other post for other shopping venues.

Retail shops don't open until 10 or 11am so best thing is to go sightseeing and then go shopping. You can either hang around Kowloon side (Mongkok) or around Tsim Sha Tsui for shopping or take a ride to Tung Chung's Citigate Outlets. Another option is walk along Canton Road past the Harbour City Shopping complex (high end stuff) towards the Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers. There is an outlet complex near there.

http://www.hongkongextras.com/_outlet_shops.html

• 3 weeks later...
I will have to get a picture of that! I love Hong Kong, just hope we get good weather. Is it worth a stop at Jumbo's for lunch or overpriced and touristy?

Jumbo is overrated and pricey for what you get. Definitely one to miss in my opinion. We also got ripped off on the "free" transport from the banks of the river to the floating restaurant. The boat man stopped halfway and demanded money from us. We had no optio but to pay and the restaurant staff merely smiled when we arrived. Going back we made sure to use the real free crossing . Also best to do in the evening with all the lights but again it's off the beaten track and just a tourist trap. Stanley market is ok, the bus trip there has some interesting views along the way. We went to the market early in the morning and only a few places had opened. We didn't see anything that we hadn't seen in Central or Kowloon areas. We are going back to Hong Kong for a week in October and won't be going to those two places again.

• 2 weeks later...
Not that I'm aware of ... only knock offs at Shenzen, just 1 hr across the border from HK. A visa is required to visit Shenzen. They're not worth buying IMHO.

Sorry, no outlets, but "stores", three of them; one is in the Peninsula Hotel.:cool:

• 3 years later...

On the Jumbo Ship, my friends who travel a lot as he's the Dean of Criminal Justice at a major university, LOVED that restaurant and told me I had to go there. It was amazing. And I tend to trust their judgment on things like this when I travel behind them. My daughter's Step Sister who lives there says it is a tourist place BUT the food is fabulous and one must eat there at least once in their lives for the experience!