Please explain gratuity & tipping - first time cruiser here

LeBlu

Hi all,

We're setting sail on the Carnival Fantasy and are still unclear about the tipping & gratuity. I have searched but only came away with an automatic grautity of $5.80 to dining room services, $3.70 to cabin services and $2 per day for alternative services. The question I have is if the charges are per visit like dining 3 meals per day. Will we incur the $5.80 charge 3 times within that day? And room service, is the $3.70 per trip within each day? We do not plan to abuse the "complimentary services" and plan to also tip cash. We just dont want any surprises! Thanks in advance! :)

LeBlu, you are making it sound way more complicated than it is. Gratuities of $11.50 per person per day will be automatically added to you're sail & sign card. Makes no difference how many times you use the dining room or how many times the steward cleans your room. The gratuity for room service is not included in that number so if you order room service (which is free 24 hours) don't forget to tip the server a buck or two. Also an auto 15% will be added to anything ordered from the bar.

Hi all,

We're setting sail on the Carnival Fantasy and are still unclear about the tipping & gratuity. I have searched but only came away with an automatic gratuity of $5.80 to dining room services, $3.70 to cabin services and $2 per day for alternative services. The question I have is if the charges are per visit like dining 3 meals per day. Will we incur the $5.80 charge 3 times within that day? And room service, is the $3.70 per trip within each day? We do not plan to abuse the "complimentary services" and plan to also tip cash. We just dont want any surprises! Thanks in advance! :)

The $11.50 per person per day takes care of all tips for dining and room stewards. The dining room services $5.80 include dining gratuities for waiters, assistant waiters and head waiter in dining room and buffet restaurants. You can dine in the buffets or dining rooms whenever meals are served. The cabin service $3.70 is for your room steward for cleaning the cabin twice daily, replacing towels, turn down service and making the cute little towel animals. I am unsure who the extra $2 per person per day is for. If you order room service, you tip cash to whomever delivers the food/drinks. There will be an automatic tip added on your "pay beverages"(alcoholic or colas). Those costs will be put on your room key "sail and sign card" paid by your credit card on file or cash deposit.

Enjoy your first cruise, and plan on being hooked!

Also, as long as you leave the standard/automatic gratuities on your account, you don't need to tip any of your regular service people in cash. A lot of people do tip the delivery people in cash for room service. A gratuity will be added to any beverages you purchase.

The $11.50 per person per day takes care of all tips for dining and room stewards. The dining room services $5.80 include dining gratuities for waiters, assistant waiters and head waiter in dining room and buffet restaurants. You can dine in the buffets or dining rooms whenever meals are served. The cabin service $3.70 is for your room steward for cleaning the cabin twice daily, replacing towels, turn down service and making the cute little towel animals. I am unsure who the extra $2 per person per day is for. If you order room service, you tip cash to whomever delivers the food/drinks. There will be an automatic tip added on your "pay beverages"(alcoholic or colas). Those costs will be put on your room key "sail and sign card" paid by your credit card on file or cash deposit.

Enjoy your first cruise, and plan on being hooked!

I prepaid my tips without putting a whole lot of thought into it...when you explain it like that im thinking hey i have nothing to complain about...personally i think thats more than reasonable considering everything they do for you... :o i wont think twice about putting extra buck or two in the tip bowl every day...no question!

I prepaid my tips without putting a whole lot of thought into it...when you explain it like that im thinking hey i have nothing to complain about...personally i think thats more than reasonable considering everything they do for you... :o i wont think twice about putting extra buck or two in the tip bowl every day...no question!

Your wait staff and room steward will know you have prepaid the gratuities. On the last night, you may be given vouchers to go in "tip envelopes" stating you've prepaid. It is always nice to add a little to these, especially if you have received great service. Sometimes I bring thank you cards for extra nice staff onboard who are not included in these tips. I have brought snack size candy(trick or treat sizes) and given them to porters and room service staff. You should have seen the smiles on the faces! Just let those helping you know how much you appreciate what they are doing.

Your wait staff and room steward will know you have prepaid the gratuities. On the last night, you may be given vouchers to go in "tip envelopes" stating you've prepaid. It is always nice to add a little to these, especially if you have received great service. Sometimes I bring thank you cards for extra nice staff onboard who are not included in these tips. I have brought snack size candy(trick or treat sizes) and given them to porters and room service staff. You should have seen the smiles on the faces! Just let those helping you know how much you appreciate what they are doing.

I was glad to read this :-) we asked our steward if he was allowed to keep sodas if we left them for him or snacks... we did and he was SO GRATEFUL ! and of course a little extra in $ he "D" on the CC Paradise was OUTSTANDING !!

Archived