CocoCay?

Jfeasel

You made that 50/50 chance up right? I say you have a much much better chance of making CoCo Cay in Summer month than winter months. I'm basing my statement on many cruise in the Bahamas on private vessels. Please show your the basis for your claim.

Just basing it on our experience. In 2012, we were 0 for 2 - July and October - (overnighted in Nassau both times and had a sea day instead). Last year we were 1 for 2 (missed in July when weather kicked up in the morning and made it in October) and this year, we're 0 for 1 so far (May on Freedom due to weather that kicked up after we had already dropped anchor). We're on EN in 4 weeks, and I have no expectations of actually setting foot on Coco Cay.:(

Does it depend on the month you sail? We will be there mid-December. Since it's a weekend cruise, I really hope we make it there!

We were 2 for 3 on our B2B2B a year and a half ago which sounds good but the first time we made it there the Captain said that that was the first time in 5 sailings. You just never know.

75-83% odds sounds way, way better. Due to unsafe tendering conditions, we missed NCL's private island the first three times it was on our itinerary, and made it the fourth time. We want better luck with Coco Cay.

Given that NCL's private island is only about a half mile from Coco Cay, your chances aren't likely to improve all that much.;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Given that NCL's private island is only about a half mile from Coco Cay, your chances aren't likely to improve all that much.;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yeah, I know they are close together. Maybe my bad luck has run its course.

Another web site that lets you see what ships will be in any given port is CruiseTT.Com. Besides listing the ships, it also tells the number of passengers on each ship. So, you can see how large or small the crowds will be in a port on any given day.

I determined some time ago that the Freedom and the Grandeur were both scheduled for CocoCay on June 30th. So, we had planned to go back to the Freedom around lunch time and skip the crowds for the BBQ lunch.

But in looking at the last week or so, it appears that Grandeur will now call on CocoCay on July 1st, along with the Enchantment.

Any reason why RC has rearranged Grandeur's schedule for the cruise out of Baltimore on June 27th?

Also, if Freedom skips CocoCay or departs several hours early, does that mean an earlier arrival in St. Thomas?

I know that the ships doing the 3 and 4-night Bahamas cruises will arrive early in Nassau or Key West, if a ship has to skip CocoCay or depart several hours early.

Just out of interest, do you get any compensation if you can't reach CocoCay or is it treated as an "act of god"?

We've missed it a few times and never received any compensation.

Just basing it on our experience. In 2012, we were 0 for 2 - July and October - (overnighted in Nassau both times and had a sea day instead). Last year we were 1 for 2 (missed in July when weather kicked up in the morning and made it in October) and this year, we're 0 for 1 so far (May on Freedom due to weather that kicked up after we had already dropped anchor). We're on EN in 4 weeks, and I have no expectations of actually setting foot on Coco Cay.:(
I wonder if anyone has the actual figures on the percent of trips that are missed? I'm going next weekend I'll try and post how I make out, I'm planning to make unless a tropical wave happens to come through. I've only missed once in about 10 trips.

Does it depend on the month you sail? We will be there mid-December. Since it's a weekend cruise, I really hope we make it there!

I think you're more likely to miss it during the winter months because cold fronts come through and can make it really windy for days. In the summertime, storms tend to be more of the short-lived afternoon variety unless there's a tropical storm nearby.

But it can happen anytime. The one time we missed it, it was June.

Also, if Freedom skips CocoCay or departs several hours early, does that mean an earlier arrival in St. Thomas?

I know that the ships doing the 3 and 4-night Bahamas cruises will arrive early in Nassau or Key West, if a ship has to skip CocoCay or depart several hours early.

Just out of interest, do you get any compensation if you can't reach CocoCay or is it treated as an "act of god"?

When we missed Coco Cay on Freedom in May, we arrived in St. Thomas about three hours early.

They refunded each of us about $10 in port fees.

Here are a few pics of the tenders coming back to Enchantment when a bad storm set in unexpectedly. They had to disembark from the tenders at a different gang way as the usual one was too high in the wind storm. At one point that ramp fell in to the water. Notice how the tenders grouped in threes to protect each other. This was this past Christmas/New Year's season.

From an observer's point of view, it seemed to be handled very well by the EN staff and crew. The guests reboarding EN were greeted with dry blankets to warm up if they so desired.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/S14Kcd2Bv5pDKNer2XyGXiR3ESErZDcvU0kzJCG3swQ=w414-h311-p-no

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/HtW08FtaWHlTi6mxLxJFOkI1esbuli9KySQruvWLdy0=w414-h311-p-no

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/Pc4dFR93oMcVcMgEsBS4UrihbkeUsF-SOI6_WbBw5hQ=w414-h311-p-no

Rick and Deirdra

Edited by Pumbaamd

Yikes, Pumbaamd! :eek::eek:

On one of our NCL Sky cruises, it was very windy. The captain switched the itinerary around so we went to Nassau first and Great Stirrup Cay second to give the winds a chance to die down. The next day we were able to make it to the island but I'm not sure it was worth it. The tenders were tossed around badly and people were getting seasick. Then on the island, the wind blew the sand everywhere and I couldn't even eat lunch because of the sand getting all over the food. It was really not enjoyable.

Now I know that if the captain skips the island, there's a good reason!

CruisinCrow,

We always make an effort to go ashore at Coco Cay. This morning, however, the seas were getting a little choppy and there were some darker clouds in the distance. The tenders were still boarding guests for the island, but we chose to stay onboard.

Rick and Deirdra

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Freedom when it called on CocoCay on June 30. First, before we even left Port Canerval, departure time from CocoCay was moved ahead to 2:30 from 4:00.

While at CocoCay, because of lightning, everyone was ordered out of the water. We tendered back to the ship just after 10am. Then as the light rain got heavier, tendering to the island was stopped. By 11 or 11:30, all tendering was stopped because of the weather. By 12:30, tendering resumed both ways, but people were encouraged to tender back around 1: 30. The last tender came back around 2:15, and the Freedom sailed at 2:30.

They sent us out to cococay in 2 story metal boats in a lightning storm. There were few places to hide from the storm and the snorkel hut refused to allow people shelter. I don't really want to go back there. It was one of the worst experiences I've had on a cruise. People were huddled under trees because there was nowhere else to go, it was ridiculously dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...

Grandeur and Enchantment will be at Coco Cay at the same time. I've heard that when 2 ships are at Coco cay at the same time it's hard to find lounge chairs and there can be an hour and a half chow line in the middle of the day. Can this be true?

Sent from my iPad using Forums