Bicycles in Amsterdam????

bunnybear

We will be in Amsterdam for one day prior to our Uniworld cruise and are considering renting cycles. Has anyone done this?

My only concern is there adequate bicycle lanes in traffic? Is public transportation a better option? The rental is a little pricey.

Thanks for your input.

We will be in Amsterdam for one day prior to our Uniworld cruise and are considering renting cycles. Has anyone done this?

My only concern is there adequate bicycle lanes in traffic? Is public transportation a better option? The rental is a little pricey.

Thanks for your input.

Just back from Amsterdam last week. No problem with the adequate bike lanes. The problem is that the bicyclists ride like maniacs plus you have to contend with auto, tram and pedestrians. Our CD advised against it and he is an Amsterdam native. A better option is taking a tour or DIY out to the waterlands, where the riding is safer and all flat. The only requirement is to be able to ride for ten miles.

Big city bike riding is an art not for the faint of heart. Public transit is great . . . Seems like many tram lines go to the central station, right by the docks. And the city is very walkable.

If you're a skilled, confident cyclist, go for it. If you're at all timid and haven't done much city riding . . . I'd think very carefully about renting a bike in Amsterdam. The local cyclists move VERY fast, and as a pedestrian there recently, I found the bike traffic somewhat intimidating.

We have just returned from Amsterdam and would not recommend renting bikes. Bikes are used as a means of transport, not as leisurely riding.

We saw groups of tourists ( easily identified as they were wearing helmets while the locals don't) and most had the look of absolute terror on their faces.

The other issue is the tram lines themselves and getting wheels caught. We experienced a number of locals crashing having gotten their wheel caught. One gentleman, having picked himself up, told us not to worry as it happens all the time!

Amsterdam is a great walking city and that would be my advice. You have to keep your wits about you even walking, being mindfull of bikes (they won't stop), trams (won't stop, either) and cars. It's quite exhausting just being mindful of all the "traffic".

Edited by TravelBugM

Just the question sends chills up spine! LOL. We had a difficult time figuring out how to cross the street when we walked from the ship to .Anne Frank's home. The bicyclists are fearless. It looks like the Tour de France!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were in Amsterdam last month for 4+ days and we walked and took trams. We were told there are 800,000 bikes in Amsterdam. You had to be alert every second when walking to avoid being hit. I was relieved when we left Amsterdam because of the traffic and the bicycle riders. My husband went on a bike ride purchased through Avalon into the countryside "Waterlands" which is northeast of Amsterdam. They took one of the ferries that is behind Central Station to easily get out of the city. He really enjoyed that ride.

In defense of the Dutch, the bicyclists do well staying in their lanes. It seems like a fair number of participants in our walking tours were totally clueless that they had strayed into the bicycle lane . . . particularly when waiting for a traffic light to change.

I never noticed any bike lanes; they ride wherever they want!! We walked everywhere we needed to go. As well, I would highly recommend taking a hop on hop off canal boat tour - it was a great way to get around Amsterdam.

I never noticed any bike lanes; they ride wherever they want!! We walked everywhere we needed to go. As well, I would highly recommend taking a hop on hop off canal boat tour - it was a great way to get around Amsterdam.

You never saw this?

SigIntersection6.png

Or this?, note that American tourist would be standing right by the curb when waiting to cross street

dutch-bike-lanes.jpg

Or this?

19832921-bicycle-and-pedestrian-lane-road-sign-on-pole-post-large-blue-round-isolated-bike-cycling-and-walkin.jpg

I think this is probably not the right means to get around - especially on the first leg of our trip. I would hate to have a mishap and then be crippled before I even get to the boat.

:D:eek: You're going to love Amsterdam. It's small enough to walk everywhere you don't really need a bike to get places.

If you are not familiar with Amsterdam or donot like to be among thousands bikers that drive like crazy, this apart from the trams that donot and cannot go out of the way, I would not rent a bike.

Yes there are many bike lanes, but not everywhere. Most bikers donot stick to the traffic rules etc. and are always in a hurry. Maybe better try to find a biketour with guide.

If you have enough time consider to take e.g. a train to Zaandam, rent a bike there and bike to Zaanse Schans. Easier to do, less traffic. Or even easier take train/bus to Zaanse Schans and rent a bike right there.

Edited by Ine

Amsterdam is over run w/bicycles.....beware. I think its the main mode of transportation. As a pedestrian, its tricky. Have to keep looking around or you get run into. They do use their bike bells, but just be prepared.

My wife & I took a bicycle tour in Amsterdam in the spring of 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed it but were glad that we were 'chaperoned'. Bicycling in Amsterdam is not for the faint of heart. Just think of any North American city . . . but with bicycles, not cars!

We can recommend Mike's.

http://www.mikesbiketoursamsterdam.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Amsterdam last summer. We did not rent bikes, but it was clear that bike traffic is a significant element in that city. They did not have clear bike lanes in every area, but there seemed to be a courteous blend of cars and bicycles. As walkers, we really had to maintain a constant vigilance - more so for the bikers than the car traffic. Incidentally, we did feel quite safe in Amsterdam.

One ironic twist related to your question is that adjacent to the train station, there is a fairly large parking lot for cars - and an ENORMOUS parking lot for bicycles.