Cancel double to a single cabin?

phabric

I have a double cabin booked under the 2nd passenger at 1/2 price for next year. My daughter might not want to go.

If I let Royal know before final payment, will I be charged -

1) present price to cover for the second person less port charge for the second

2) keep the 1/2 price for the second less the port charges for the second

Or, should I just show up at the dock and not say anything about the missing second person and they should refund the port charge later.

I have a double cabin booked under the 2nd passenger at 1/2 price for next year. My daughter might not want to go.

Or, should I just show up at the dock and not say anything about the missing second person and they should refund the port charge later.

Generally it would be re-priced to the single supplement rate in effect at the time of the change. Suggest you go on to RCCL's Website and do a mock booking for the same category cabin with 1 passenger as that will give you an indication as to what the new rate would be than make your decision.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Generally it would be re-priced to the single supplement rate in effect at the time of the change. Suggest you go on to RCCL's Website and do a mock booking for the same category cabin with 1 passenger as that will give you an indication as to what the new rate would be than make your decision.

Being a BOGOHO booking who knows what they'd do. What they should do is simply refund the taxes for the person not going.

With a normal reservation the cabin is certainly not repriced

With a normal booking, there would be no re-pricing. I have done this recently. I recently booked a solo cruise with BOGOHO, and basically it meant that my single supplement was only 150%. So maybe they would let you remove a name from the reservation and not change it.

But why not call and ask? Just asking what will happen will not commit you to making a change until you're ready to do it.

If they say it will re-price, then I suggest monitoring the cruise pricing for your sailing and waiting until the rate is reasonable.

? I've never paid more than one set of port charges sailing solo.

I believe that changed in the last year or so and singles now pay both port charges or what Royal calls Non-Commissionable Fees.

With a normal booking, there would be no re-pricing. I have done this recently. I recently booked a solo cruise with BOGOHO, and basically it meant that my single supplement was only 150%. So maybe they would let you remove a name from the reservation and not change it.

Actually you are paying at least 200% because with this sale the first passenger rate is inflated. Do a dummy booking for a double and you may be shocked at the little price difference

? I've never paid more than one set of port charges sailing solo.

Port charges are imbedded in the base cruise cost that you see online and you pay it twice now days

I respectfully disagree Sea Us. I monitor pricing a lot. The couple of cruises where I have been able to book BOGOHO, it has saved me the 50% off the double rate. I know that in many cases they have raised prices so there's really no discount, but not on all ships/sailings.

And I also know that they know longer call them "port charges" - but what they now call "taxes and other fees" (or whatever) is still really the port charges, in my mind. They are the same as they have always been (they have not gone up or down), and I still only pay one set of them.

If your daughter might or might not wish to go, I'd leave it be for now.

If your daughter decides not to go, you might consider inviting somebody else to join you. as long as one name (yours) from the original reservation remains, it is generally pretty easy to change other names.

I,d wait to repriced the cruise until you are sure you'll be solo or not. even then, you do not have to reprice the trip...your daughter can be a no-show.

Edited by Starry Eyes

If your daughter might or might not wish to go, I'd leave it be for now.

If your daughter decides not to go, you might consider inviting somebody else to join you. as long as one name (yours) from the original reservation remains, it is generally pretty easy to change other names.

I,d wait to repriced the cruise until you are sure you'll be solo or not. even then, you do not have to reprice the trip...your daughter can be a no-show.

'no show' makes no sense to me, by that time the full fare is paid, and non refundable. I doubt they would let the solo use any of it. Trying to use insurance to recover that fare is doubtful. Am I missing something?

There is a very good chance I may be removing my travel companion also.

If someone cruises solo, they get double points, whether it's booked as a BOGOHO, 150% single supplement special, or otherwise. I've earned them this way quite recently.

And no, they are not going to keep the person from sailing if one person does not show up. But they might try to do a price adjustment.

As I said a number of posts ago - call and ask! I have found the customer reps to be pretty good on this subject.

'no show' makes no sense to me, by that time the full fare is paid, and non refundable. I doubt they would let the solo use any of it. Trying to use insurance to recover that fare is doubtful. Am I missing something?

There is a very good chance I may be removing my travel companion also.

I agree. If you wait till you show up at the port, all fares would have had to be "paid in full" by both passengers, and non refundable at that point.

I respectfully disagree Sea Us. I monitor pricing a lot. The couple of cruises where I have been able to book BOGOHO, it has saved me the 50% off the double rate. I know that in many cases they have raised prices so there's really no discount, but not on all ships/sailings.

And I also know that they know longer call them "port charges" - but what they now call "taxes and other fees" (or whatever) is still really the port charges, in my mind. They are the same as they have always been (they have not gone up or down), and I still only pay one set of them.

As a former TA I can assure you that you are now paying double port charges. These charges are embedded in the cruise cost that you see online when booking.

a normal (non BYGHO) booking example:

what you see online:

passenger 1 $1000 + $100 tax

passenger 2 $1000 + $100 tax

total cost of cruise = $2200

Example of what the TA sees:

passenger 1 Base $800

non commissionable (port) $200

tax $100

passenger 2 Base $800

non commissionable (port) $200

tax $100

Total cost $2200

If you are solo at 100 % supplement

passenger 1 $2000 + tax $100 = $2100

A year ago when Royal didn't double charge the port

passenger 1 $1800 + $100 tax = $1900

Edited by SeaUs

I took out insurance for both of us but she might not want to go so the insurance would not apply.

If I don't tell RC before the cruise, I have already paid for 2 passengers. People sometimes do not show up at the dock.

I'm in the same situation as the OP - my daughter can no longer come with me.

When I rang to ask about it - I was told that if I cancel her my fare will go from $5500 for two people to $11500 for one! She will be a no show!

Also they said I will NOT get double C&A points for travelling as a single.

Also sad as I have pre paid gratuities and will not get her share back!.

Raina