Age Discrimination

daabigyin

All we ask is that X be upfront and tell us about any restrictions, by them or vendors. Forewarned is Forearmed!! If the OP knew he could have booked something else, just play nice X! That way everyone has a nice holiday :D

As long as the age (or weight) limitations are clearly posted, then whether I like or agree with them or not I would know ahead of time and could plan accordingly. To me, that is the key point.

That said, some of the age and weight restrictions seem very arbitrary and way too conservative. I am not quite (but soon will be) at the point where I have hit age restrictions, but some members of our cruising family have been very limited due to weight restrictions. I realize there sometimes needs to be a limit for practical reasons (can't have two 400 lb. passengers on a dirt bike:eek:) but some of the limits are ridiculous. I have seen numerous excursions where 250 lbs is the weight limit, for no apparent reason. A tall man could easily weigh that much and still be quite fit and healthy. For example, have seen this on snorkeling tours (not always, but sometimes). These are tours on large catamarans that can easily deal with the weight, and the snorkeling vests can easily fit a 250 lb. person. So why is that weight limit imposed?? I spent 30 years of my working life in the insurance industry so I understand liability and risk better than the average joe. But some of the restrictions are clearly ridiculous and if it is in fact not Celebrity that sets them, then Celebrity still retains some responsibility to find excursions to offer that are more reasonable for the average passenger.

Most of their age restrictions are quite arbitrary, so the only thing we can do is book our own independent excursions and laugh at all the overweight and out of shape younger people on the ships excursions who are paying twice as much for the same activity.

By the way, Princess and Cunard do not have nearly as many caveats.

But some of the restrictions are clearly ridiculous and if it is in fact not Celebrity that sets them, then Celebrity still retains some responsibility to find excursions to offer that are more reasonable for the average passenger.

Celebrity intentionally maintains an arms length from the shore excursion providers which limits their responsibility. If you have a problem with your shore excursion or what happens on a shore excursion, the first words out of their mouth's will be...contact the excursion company. That's the same response if you have a problem with an on board shop, the spa and so on.

Once Celebrity steps in and sets limitations, my non legally trained mind suspects that would involve them as more than just a sales agent in any liability situation....certainly one where someone claimed that they should not have been allowed to do the excursion.

I think the limitations are set by the excursion companies.

As long as the age (or weight) limitations are clearly posted, then whether I like or agree with them or not I would know ahead of time and could plan accordingly. To me, that is the key point.

That said, some of the age and weight restrictions seem very arbitrary and way too conservative. I am not quite (but soon will be) at the point where I have hit age restrictions, but some members of our cruising family have been very limited due to weight restrictions. I realize there sometimes needs to be a limit for practical reasons (can't have two 400 lb. passengers on a dirt bike:eek:) but some of the limits are ridiculous. I have seen numerous excursions where 250 lbs is the weight limit, for no apparent reason. A tall man could easily weigh that much and still be quite fit and healthy. For example, have seen this on snorkeling tours (not always, but sometimes). These are tours on large catamarans that can easily deal with the weight, and the snorkeling vests can easily fit a 250 lb. person. So why is that weight limit imposed?? I spent 30 years of my working life in the insurance industry so I understand liability and risk better than the average joe. But some of the restrictions are clearly ridiculous and if it is in fact not Celebrity that sets them, then Celebrity still retains some responsibility to find excursions to offer that are more reasonable for the average passenger.

Re the 250lb snorkeling limit, one issue is if someone needs rescuing, the staff have to life a 250lb person.

Also there are cruise lines that tend to carry much older passengers than X. They offer snorkelling, kayaking and Segway tours. My friend is in her 70s and just all three with Seabourn.

Which just basically goes to show you that there are in fact tour operators accepting older clients. In choosing these particular operators with lower cost insurance, Celebrity probably gets a bigger percentage of the referral. It's ugly and while I have seen age limits before, it never occurred to me that my mother would be ineligible for something like a kayak excursion through her cruise line of choice. But so it goes and life goes on I guess.

Re the 250lb snorkeling limit, one issue is if someone needs rescuing, the staff have to life a 250lb person.

Yikes! I had not thought about that. All three of my sons are life guards and the biggest is maybe 175lb on a good day!:eek: Man you would need three or four of my guys to get a 250lb'er out of the water.:D

Edited by DirtyDawg