Olympic Restaurant on Millennium

the-artman

Do NOT waste your money.

I just got off the Millenium (9/12-9/28). We purchased the Five Senses Menu, five courses each paired with a selected wine. I have attended many such dinners both on ships and ashore and was astonished at the miniscule portion of wine. For the very first time, when I politely asked for some more of one of the wines I was told NO!. I was advised the the meal comes with only 2oz of each wine. The menu makes no mention of the amount of wine with each course, and at previous such dinners, there was no limit to the amount of wine with each course. Had it stated that each wine would be a 2oz serving, for a total of the equivalent of 2 glasses of wine, I would not have purchased that dinner.:eek:

I want to advise everyone this is a big rip-off, do not waste your hard earned money.

Arthur

Thanks for the post. I was considering the tasting menu in Murano on my upcoming cruise, but fear I will run into the same problem. We have done countless tasting menus, and have run into this problem. I think it comes down to the staff on the night because as you said there are times when the glass is never empty. I won't apologize for wanting more than a sip of wine particularly when the portions are more than a couple bites. We have taken the approach of discussing the pours before ordering and getting the sommelier to clarify if "top ups" are available. This has saved us a lot of grief of sitting there hoping for more. On occasions where they were strict with the pours we just paid for a third wine tasting to be split between us.

We've done the Five Senses menu a few times over the years. It has never come with unlimited pours but the single glasses offered with each course were always reasonable sized pours and larger than 2 oz.

If we were considering this again I'd inquire about the size of the pours first. Either your experience was an unfortunate aberration or they've changed the policy quite a bit.

Edited by Lsimon

Olympic is not the best. Although it is supposed to be like the specialty restaurants on the other Celebrity ships,it isn't nearly as good. Attitude makes the difference. I like the United States on the Summit. Same space, same menu......so different. Millenium has good food in the MDR. Skip the Olympic and save your money. At $45pp, the meal should be fabulous. I have dined in most of the specialty restaurants. Menus haven't changed in several years. Been there, done that.....now I skip the specialty restaurants. MDR is very good.

Olympic is not the best. Although it is supposed to be like the specialty restaurants on the other Celebrity ships,it isn't nearly as good. Attitude makes the difference. I like the United States on the Summit. Same space, same menu......so different. Millenium has good food in the MDR. Skip the Olympic and save your money. At $45pp, the meal should be fabulous. I have dined in most of the specialty restaurants. Menus haven't changed in several years. Been there, done that.....now I skip the specialty restaurants. MDR is very good.

Summit has Normandie.

Normandie, Murano, Olympic. They are all the same restaurant with the identical menu.

I once did the Chefs table on the Millennium, it's the same menu as Murano , just with some wine included... I agree , it's a waste of money.

Unlike land based restaurants that offer special wine dinners, or Chefs tables, Celebrity doesn't have different or special menus..just the same food.

We did the "5 Senses" menu in Murano on Solstice and experienced the same thing...2 oz of wine and that was it....coupled with at least a good 20-30 minute wait between each course it was NOT an enjoyable meal and certainly not worth the price we paid....frankly the service was so spotty it soured us on this type of venue for all our cruises since....give me the Lawn Club Grill or Tuscan Grill over Murano any time....

We have always wished we could rave over the "Murano" type specialty restaurants like others do. We have eaten in 3 different ones on 3 ships and they all came up short. We go to Tuscan now and will be able to try the Lawn Grill soon.

Mr Sloop & I like our food & wine, we do a lot of these types of events ashore. Over the years we've learned that one of the most important questions BEFORE purchase is to clarify exactly how much alcohol is involved.

We've been to events where the variety of pours were anywhere from a meager 2 ozs (Standard "Tasting Pour") thru to a Full Glass or two... All the way to what seemed to be virtually bottomless bottles :D

I am surprised to hear that Celebrity's Five Senses Meal with wine as you encountered was at the low end with just 2 oz pours (honest I find ths hard to imagine knowing the nice large Riedel Glasses in use at these Veues... Remember the bigger the glass the smaller the pour appears)

In the very least I would have expected a 5 oz pour :confused:

But, having the Premium Alcohol Pkg, I also would not have been shy asking for additional pours if I found something to my liking (would have been very surprised if the Celebrity Sommeliers were not prepared for this possibility, as we have encountered that as an option at other Celebrity Wine Events. Of course an upcharge might have also applied in some circumstances where the better wines surpassed the max limit per pour on the Premium Bevvy Pkg)

--- --- ---

As for Murano's / Ocean Liners set of Specialty Restaurants, Mr Sloop & I have quite enjoyed them on past cruises both for food & service. We are going to try Tuscan Grille on our next cruise... And hope that the experience is just as good

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

we have booked this restaurant for our november cruise in the far east.

We will be choosing the regular menu and use our premier drinks package. So if the food is not up to scratch, then the drink will certainly help..

HA HA!!! Good choice.....a bit more wine will make all just fine!!

Edited by Gracie115

That venue on the Millennium Class ships is my least favorite of cruise line specialty restaurants. I think $45 is over priced and the food isn't that great.